" Did Rangers miss a trick with Cardiff City "

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:52 pm

Did Rangers miss a trick with Cardiff City enjoying bargain Callum Paterson deal?

HITC

Monday 20th November 2017

Callum Paterson could be Scotland's right-back for years to come, but will be playing his club football for Cardiff City rather than Rangers.

Callum Paterson of Hearts in action during the Ladbrokes Scottish Premiership match between Heart of Midlothian FC and St Johnstone FC at Tynecastle Stadium on August 2, 2015 in Edinburgh,...

It is increasingly difficult for anyone to find value in the transfer market these days. Which makes Cardiff City’s bargain signing of Callum Paterson all the more eye-catching.

The Scotland international right-back was out of contract at Tynecastle but, as he was just 22 when he moved to South Wales, the Bluebirds would have had to pay a potentially hefty compensation fee.

Instead, however, the Scottish Sun reports that Cardiff were made to part with just £300,000 to land Paterson – far less than the £1 million Hearts were demanding before the highly-rated defender suffered a cruciate ligament injury in December that kept him out until after the first few weeks of this season.

Callum Paterson poses for photographs after a training session at Orium sporting centre of excellence on November 6, 2017 in Edinburgh, Scotland.

And while Paterson has made just five appearances for his new club, he has wasted little time showing why he was worth the wait with a number of promising displays.

It seems that Rangers might have missed a trick not going all out to bring the former Hearts prospect to Ibrox in the summer instead. The Daily Record reported that the Gers had enquired about Paterson while he was recovering from his long-term injury back in May.

Callum Paterson of Hearts in action during the pre season friendly match between Preston North End and Hearts at Deepdale on July 18, 2015 in Preston, England.

And considering that Rangers have been criticised for signing a number of overpriced players with no experience of Scottish football, see Carlos Pena, Eduardo Herrera and co, bringing in a young Scotland international on a bargain deal from a league rival would have been well received.

Rangers have a fine attacking right back in James Tavernier but Lee Hodson has struggled to distinguish himself in a back-up role. Paterson, then, would have added both quality and depth to Rangers’ backline.
Attachments
callum_paterson_of_hearts_in_action_during_the_ladbrokes_scottis_615794.jpg
callum_paterson_of_hearts_in_action_during_the_ladbrokes_scottis_615794.jpg (43.25 KiB) Viewed 3110 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: " Did Rangers miss a trick with Cardiff City "

Postby Jock » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:01 pm

Can’t disagree with any of that and wanted him at Ibrox but I’ll enjoy watching him at the CCS.
Jock

Postby palerider » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:03 pm

I know he wants to play and seeing manga picked ahead of on Saturday must have knocked his confidence in my opinion he is still learning with regards to being a right back but if he develops as expected he could be a true legend
palerider

Postby Jock » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:44 pm

palerider wrote:I know he wants to play and seeing manga picked ahead of on Saturday must have knocked his confidence in my opinion he is still learning with regards to being a right back but if he develops as expected he could be a true legend

Bit early for the ledgend tag ;)
Jock

Postby palerider » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:31 pm

Maybe but that's one goal closer to the status
palerider

Return to General Chat