Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Callum Paterson and the players around him

Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:01 am

Callum Paterson has brought so much to the team

By Nathan Blake

Friday 24th November 2017

He scored the winning goal, of course - and from right midfield, as opposed to his customary full-back position.

Again, that’s something that gives me great encouragement for the rest of the season because over the course of a gruelling nine-month Championship campaign you need players who are versatile.

And I’m not sure I’ve known a Cardiff squad before where so many are able to play in so many different positions with equal aplomb.

You don’t get it at many clubs, with Cardiff it’s almost unprecedented.

Patterson can play right-back, wing-back or midfield. He pops up everywhere on the field, anyway.

Sol Bamba has proven equally adept at centre-back, or as a six holding the midfield.

Bruno Manga is a centre-half who has been magnificent at right-back in the last two games and helped set up Danny Ward’s goal against Brentford.

Lee Peltier, normally a right-back, played well at left-back at Bristol City.

Junior Hoilett can play anywhere across the front three, Loic Damour can play as a 10 or as a deeper midfielder. Craig Bryson too. Ward can feature up top or out wide. Greg Halford can play, well pretty much anywhere!

These are huge plusses for Warnock, particularly when injuries and suspensions bite as we approach the spring.

As for Paterson, he’s quick, athletic, tall, good on the ball and scores goals.

A class act who has given the team a new dimension, in more ways than one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.