Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Wales Rugby Fans Abuse Disabled Man & His Daughter '

Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:29 pm

To those who keep sticking up for them, this is exactly what I was saying the other day about the Eggs :evil:

Wales v New Zealand: Disabled man and his daughter abused by drunk rugby fans

BBC

Wednesday 28th December 2017

Beth Fisher said her uncle was abused for asking a group of men not to block other people's view of the match
Drunk rugby fans abused a disabled man at the Wales v New Zealand game after he asked them to stop standing.

Robin Hindle-Fisher was with his niece Beth Fisher at the Principality Stadium when they were subjected to what she called "a tirade of foul language".

She said her uncle, who has short arms caused by thalidomide, was abused after asking the group to stop blocking people's view of Saturday's match.

The Welsh Rugby Union said it would investigate the complaint.

Miss Fisher, 34, a former Wales hockey player who is now a BBC sport journalist, said: "It was a moment I don't ever want to go through again. Quite frankly, it's put me off going back to the rugby again.

"This is not just about physical remarks about my uncle, it's about verbal abuse at a rugby match we were all there to enjoy.

"Having spoken to people after, I know I am not the only one and this is becoming a serious problem.

"This was the most horrible feeling I've ever had... at any public event."

Geraint Evans said his daughter Megan was also insulted by the same group of men

Miss Fisher, who has been going to watch Wales since she was a child, said she had noticed more of a drinking culture at rugby matches over the past eight years, adding: "I genuinely think someone's going to get seriously hurt."

Geraint Evans, who witnessed the abuse, has written a letter of complaint to WRU chairman Gareth Davies.

Mr Evans, 57, was at the match with his daughter Megan, 22.

The chartered surveyor said it was "obscene abuse, mostly of a sexual nature, concerning his disability".

Miss Fisher did not hear this remark but was told it was "the crudest remark about the fact he has a visible disability".

Thalidomide was a sedative given to pregnant women which resulted in thousands of mothers giving birth to babies with disabilities.

A complaint was made to a steward at half-time, but as they had not witnessed it, the men could not be thrown out.

Mr Evans said the men drank eight pints of beer each during the first half and left after about 65 minutes of the match, which Wales lost 33-18.

He said the WRU had a responsibility not to serve alcohol to people in the stadium who were visibly drunk.

"But the massive concern is the abuse of a woman and a disabled man, it was disgraceful and it really upset me," he added.

Simon Green, a coordinator with the Disability Hate Crime Network said: "Abusing an individual in that way is a criminal offence.

"There have been incidents where people have been prosecuted for less than that."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: 'Wales Rugby Fans Abuse Disabled Man '

Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:29 pm

Geraint Evans said his daughter Megan was also insulted by the same group of men

"There have been incidents where people have been prosecuted for less than that."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:30 pm

Rugby journalist Peter Jackson thinks bars should be closed during matches

Re: ' Wales Rugby Fans Abuse Disabled Man & His Daughter '

Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:40 pm

This was out on Monday 27th November 2017

Some of the Truth Finally coming out and being said Publicly

For years and the egg/rugby fans have been allowed to get away with what ever they want and its called light hearted fun :evil:

Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:57 pm

Rugby fans are mostly uneducated drunken scum and it's so good this is being reported, not an isolated incident at all. Perhaps the bars in Cardiff will start turning these morons away if they are wearing egg shirts now??

Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:58 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Rugby journalist Peter Jackson thinks bars should be closed during matches

100% agree

Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:09 pm

Us football fans would of been slaughtered in press for this and all over news with mug shots and people expecting punishment to be handed out.

Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:23 pm

And nothing was done because stewards didn't hear it! :o

Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:06 am

One rule for One sport and another Law for others - Been going on a long time - " I'ts not banter any more " .

Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:28 am

Reply from FB

James Cottnam:
Most of these so called rugby fans don't go every week and support their local club , it's just an excuse to go out for the day and get pissed , but the Welsh press choose to brush it under the table , the slightest problem at a Cardiff city match and its headline news , one law for the egg chasers and the rest are hooligans .

Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:32 am

Reply from FB

Gareth Hughes:
At least the welsh media are now beginning to report on this. Shame it’s taken them 30 years of calling it high jinks!

Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:49 am

Neil Hasson:

We may have been headcases over the years but abusive towards disabled people and women just didn't happen. I like rugby but some of the rugby supporters are just twats.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:26 am

Alan Michael (crime commissioner ) just on radio Wales totally whitewashed events and refused to blame alcohol!

Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:46 am

Wasn't Carlos was it he loves the egg.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:55 am

Forever Blue wrote:Neil Hasson:

We may have been headcases over the years but abusive towards disabled people and women just didn't happen. I like rugby but some of the rugby supporters are just twats.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liv ... r-10810609

By the way Annis I didn't see on ed post last week sticking up for them. What ideas were reasons why football fans have earned a few worst reputation leafing to the reasons why we are so unfairly treated these days.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:14 pm

Absolute disgrace,so glad I'm not a lover of rugby and what annoy's me more is how us football lovers are branded as hooligans and rugby fans can do no wrong.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:34 pm

For me rugby is rugby and in this country we have people who love the sport and people who don't give a rats arse about it.. same in a lot of sport but I feel like in Wales with the national rugby team it's attracts any sort of person because of the occasion and atmosphere.. it's disappointing because it attracts them laddy lads who think they can drink early from 9am ubtil the game starts and start causing obscene behaviour.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:34 pm

It's a day out in the capital for most :occasion5:

Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:40 pm

TopCat CCFC wrote:It's a day out in the capital for most :occasion5:

Spot on, it must be a shame for people who watch club and international rugby like us lot do as Cardiff City supporters seeing these people who know jack s**t about rugby getting involved for the sole purpose it's an excuse for a drink.