Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: “ ONE OF CARDIFF CITY’S STAR PLAYERS REJECTS NEW CONTRAC

Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:01 pm

I believe the reasons he gives.

He'll be will into his 29th year and 10th season when the next season starts. The championship is mentally and physically tough and he is showing signs of slowing down. He was far more mobile in the last promotion campaign mainly due the amount of muscle he now has, he is far bigger.

I don't think his future lies in the UK. The premier league demands footballers to be athletes and he has never been a "footballer". That destructive midfielder needs composure on the ball, the ability to pass and press for 90 mins. His best shot at the premier league would be a promoted team ;) who won't want to pay a fortune on a fee or wages in case they are down the following year. There would be little resale vaue on him either.

If any wanted to gamble £500k for him in january then the best fit would be our gutless (their players) neighbours down west, but even then he may be tied into the championship (or lower) for the rest of his contract. The same could be said at West Ham/Brom or Palace. He is not a Bournemouth or Everton and he wouldn't get into the Stoke team

I hear Spain is nice 8-) why would he not have a pop at a mid range La Liga team in the summer if his real club don't get promoted this year. Japan, China or the states may be a decent option if he did well in the world cup.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:05 pm

SwampCCFC wrote:
theclaw wrote:Plus remember Manga in a similar situation but he signed a new deal.Lets wait to see what happens.

good point - but putting myself in gunnarsson's shoes i would not stay here unless we were promoted either.

Why is that then ?If we don’t go up is there going to be a mass exodus?

Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:26 pm

Ledley is a Cardiff boy could have gone to stoke for 6 millions a very long time ago then 5 months later went to Scotland in a shit league for the money clearly

Gunnerson is from Iceland and has tried his best in 7 years with 2 of the worst managers Cardiff have ever had even then there was intersst because of his play for country and us. He wants to play either in the prem or abroad he is 28 so had to made a decision on his career.

2 totally different cases so why is Ledleys name being mentioned is beyond me. Gunnerson has been a Cardiff loyal trooper and stuck with us through some bad times whatever happens I wish him luck and thank him for his work for the team

Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:48 pm

He's served us well and is fair enough for him to go at the end of his contract.
He's been injured a bit and slightly underperformed this season though we have missed him when he hasn't played.
The World Cup will be a big shop window for him in the summer and it sounds like his next club will not be in Britain anyway, so good luck to him. Bryson, Ralls and Damour are decent enough, and I'm sure Warnock would sign Bryson on a permanent deal if he wanted to at the end of the season.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:53 pm

Chris Holmes wrote:He's served us well and is fair enough for him to go at the end of his contract.
He's been injured a bit and slightly underperformed this season though we have missed him when he hasn't played.
The World Cup will be a big shop window for him in the summer and it sounds like his next club will not be in Britain anyway, so good luck to him. Bryson, Ralls and Damour are decent enough, and I'm sure Warnock would sign Bryson on a permanent deal if he wanted to at the end of the season.

We have paid him well over the 7 years and for him to say he's not signing another contract unless we go up is disrespectful,I would defiantly sell him in January

Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:00 pm

wez1927 wrote:
Chris Holmes wrote:He's served us well and is fair enough for him to go at the end of his contract.

We have paid him well over the 7 years and for him to say he's not signing another contract unless we go up is disrespectful,I would defiantly sell him in January

Correct, arrogant

Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:36 pm

I really hope Warnock in this situation can get Gunnarsson to still play to the best of his ability and that he is still focused while still here, I don't doubt it with Gunnarsson's attitude though.

Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:14 am

DandoCCFC wrote:I really hope Warnock in this situation can get Gunnarsson to still play to the best of his ability and that he is still focused while still here, I don't doubt it with Gunnarsson's attitude though.

im sure he will perform .besides its not in Gunners intersts to not perform.playing well is what gets good contracts.he might even sign again for us..Manga..Harris and Hoilett all did.

Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:14 am

DandoCCFC wrote:I really hope Warnock in this situation can get Gunnarsson to still play to the best of his ability and that he is still focused while still here, I don't doubt it with Gunnarsson's attitude though.

:thumbup:

Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:33 am

wez1927 wrote:

he isnt a slave wez..he doesnt have to go anywhere he doesnt want to go.

Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:14 am

Celtic would be the perfect place for Gunnar IMO...

A shit load of cash - easier than the championship week in week out and Champions league football.

Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:13 pm

nubbsy wrote:Didn't Ledley get a load of stick for this?

Jack, he did...but Gunnar isn't a local boy who grew up through the City academies and claimed to be a life-long supporter before engineering his departure whilst not being upfront when questioned ;)

Gunnar has stated his thoughts and intentions well in advance and that can/should be respected, as everyone knows where they are and can make succession plans/decisions accordingly! :thumbright: :ayatollah:

Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:52 pm

Sven wrote:
nubbsy wrote:Didn't Ledley get a load of stick for this?

Jack, he did...but Gunnar isn't a local boy who grew up through the City academies and claimed to be a life-long supporter before engineering his departure whilst not being upfront when questioned ;)

Gunnar has stated his thoughts and intentions well in advance and that can/should be respected, as everyone knows where they are and can make succession plans/decisions accordingly! :thumbright: :ayatollah:

all correct..plus none of us know what sort of offer has been made to Gunner..what we do know is the club have been cutting back on wages and should we not get promotion will need to cut back even more without the TV revenue next year..its possible he has been offered lower terms.?