Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: MY VIEW: " ARON GUNNARSSON FAREWELL "

Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:46 am

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:
wez1927 wrote:I cannot believe that some fans will put a player before the club, he hasn't signed a contract offered and is making us wait,he's been very well paid in the last 7 years which is disrespectful to the club ,I think he will be gone in January Warnock won't put up with this and I don't blame him

If he gives 100% in training and games as I’d expect from him, Warnock will put up with it.

Paul, I don't think there will be any issues with Gunnar's attitude or performances on or off the pitch! :thumbright:

Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:45 am

Technically average but gives their all. Not good enough for the Premiership.

Could be talking about Malky MacKay there.

Where’s the hide emoji?

Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:27 am

People saying if we go up he would not be good enough for the Premiership. We had better start looking for 11 new players if we get to the Premiership.

Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:31 am

Bluesman wrote:People saying if we go up he would not be good enough for the Premiership. We had better start looking for 11 new players if we get to the Premiership.

Agree we need a big changes if we go up or we will be straight back down

Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:38 am

Bluesman wrote:People saying if we go up he would not be good enough for the Premiership. We had better start looking for 11 new players if we get to the Premiership.

i thought he would be one of the players that would adapt the best last time we went up but was disappointed..games seem to pass him by and his passing isnt the best.

Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:46 am

For me sign or we will try to sell in January.Yes Gunner can put his foot down and try not to go until the end of the season but he knows how Warnock has frozen players out who were on high wages and still here.
World Cup year and captain or not he needs to be playing as much as he can.

Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:51 am

wez1927 wrote:

That was exactly what did for Malky. If we got promoted and if Warnock stayed with us I don't see him being so naïve and I'd expect many new faces.

Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:01 pm

wez1927 wrote:

It's always been the case that the team that gets you out of the Championship won't be good enough to keep you in the Premiership. If our players were genuine Premier League quality, the chances are they would already be playing there right now. If we go up, our squad would have to be dismantled and rebuilt. I don't see many of our players with the sort of quality required for the top table, and I don't think too many top clubs will come knocking at our door when the January sales arrive.

Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:22 pm

I'd be interested to find out if he has missed more games than he has played for us ? Also how can he be injured and miss out on games for us, then suddenly be fit for International games and then be injured for several weeks afterwards - can't see many clubs putting up with this..

He can also use the forthcoming World Cup as a shop window so not surprised he is hedging his bets until the summer to decide on next steps....

Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:50 pm

One for the younger lads, as you get older your body starts to hurt and you lose a bit of motivation to put it through extreme conditioning. He probably needs a new challenge. Those extra 8 games with internationals must start to take its toll and the season is so much longer. Has he realised he may have peaked and need to extend his career? In terms of league average salaries is it not

Premier league (38 games)
La Liga (38 games)
Serie A (38 games)
Bundesliga (34 games)
Championship (46 games)

I guess he is on too big a salary to be a squad rotation player at championship level, but for the same salary could he do that role in Germany, Italy or Spain. For me its the more exotic locations and lifestyles that would be interesting (japan, china or the states).

He appears to be taking longer to get over knocks, is he looking after himself a little more now with the summer in mind or is father time tapping him on the shoulder.
Never been his biggest fan, but i understand a leader and organiser when i see one and he is definitely that.

Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:29 pm

wez1927 wrote:I cannot believe that some fans will put a player before the club, he hasn't signed a contract offered and is making us wait,he's been very well paid in the last 7 years which is disrespectful to the club ,I think he will be gone in January Warnock won't put up with this and I don't blame him

If he gives 100% in training and games as I’d expect from him, Warnock will put up with it.

So you think if a club comes in and buys him in January they will say no ?

Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:34 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

It's always been the case that the team that gets you out of the Championship won't be good enough to keep you in the Premiership. If our players were genuine Premier League quality, the chances are they would already be playing there right now. If we go up, our squad would have to be dismantled and rebuilt. I don't see many of our players with the sort of quality required for the top table, and I don't think too many top clubs will come knocking at our door when the January sales arrive.

agree...its what went wrong last time..we were trying to play in the prem with more or less a championship side..Medel i thought was a good addition but the only regular brought in with prem experience was Caulker.just wasnt enough.

Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:35 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

Completely untrue

Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:36 pm

I like gunners, and you know he’s the type of player that will continue to give his all for the club while he’s here.

I like everyone else was disappointed with his performances in the premier league last time we were there, but that was long enough ago that he would certainly be someone I’d be willing to give a chance to next season

Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:44 pm

paulh_85 wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

Completely untrue

So our players are Premier quality but choose to play for Cardiff because they prefer the Championship with it's lower wages and lower standard of football.. Any of our players would jump at the opportunity to play in the top league if offered to them.

Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:53 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

Completely untrue

So our players are Premier quality but choose to play for Cardiff because they prefer the Championship with it's lower wages and lower standard of football.. Any of our players would jump at the opportunity to play in the top league if offered to them.

What about all the clubs in recent times that have been promoted and done very well with a nucleas of players that got them there

What about Danny drinkwater? Did you think he looked like a midfielder capable of playing a key roll in a premier league winning team? And being worth 40m? I’ve forgotten his name but that donkey they had at centre back too, spent most of his career as an average championship centre back

Things aren’t that black and white. You got Glenn Murray scoring goals in the prem ffs :lol: you have to give people the opportunity and see who steps up, for us last time, that person was Jordon Mutch, for example

Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:18 pm

paulh_85 wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

Completely untrue

What about all the clubs in recent times that have been promoted and done very well with a nucleas of players that got them there

What about Danny drinkwater? Did you think he looked like a midfielder capable of playing a key roll in a premier league winning team? And being worth 40m? I’ve forgotten his name but that donkey they had at centre back too, spent most of his career as an average championship centre back

Things aren’t that black and white. You got Glenn Murray scoring goals in the prem ffs :lol: you have to give people the opportunity and see who steps up, for us last time, that person was Jordon Mutch, for example

i was looking at the sort of money that teams like Watford and Bournemouth and the likes spent this Summer in an attempt to just remain in the PL. In my opinion, we would have to almost completely overhaul our team if we wanted to stay there. Personally, I don't think our existing squad is good enough to get there, never mind stay there. Some of our players have done well to make the step up from the lower divisions to the Championship, but although they sometimes impress me at this level, I don't believe that they are anywhere close to being Premier League players.
It's just my opinion, and who knows, we may have a load of top clubs trying to buy our players in January. I have a feeling that this won't be the case, and I can't really think of one player who would look good in the PL. I even include Zohore in this, although I know I am on my own here as everyone bar me rates him very highly.
We will see what happens over the next few months, and if this current group of players are good enough for the PL, we should be in with an excellent chance of playing there next August.

Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:26 pm

It doesn’t happen to. Clubs don’t completely overhaul their squads when they get promoted.

You mention Bournemouth, but they’ve been there for a few seasons, how much did they spend first season? I know they paid like 8m for kings who got injured and they played Charlie Daniels all season, while players like arter, Richie and Wilson were all important players for them. They still use Francis and cook at the back so I don’t think they are the best example

Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:05 pm

wez1927 wrote:

So you think if a club comes in and buys him in January they will say no ?

But that wasn’t the point you made.
You said - ‘Warnock won’t put up this’ meaning being disrespectful (in your words) to the club and running his contract down.
That’s a completely different issue to selling if a decent bid came in.

Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:16 pm

When he’s fit , Warnock plays him. Says it all.

Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:23 pm

City Slicker wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

That was exactly what did for Malky. If we got promoted and if Warnock stayed with us I don't see him being so naïve and I'd expect many new faces.

What Malky did when we went up was bonkers (Cornelius, Brayford etc) so isn’t relevant. Warnock would not make those mistakes.

Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:54 pm

wez1927 wrote:

Not sure I agree with that point of view. Look at Burnley. How many of their players would we say are genuinely 'Premiership class'? There's a lot to be said for team ethic and good management. Of course, adding quality players in key positions helps.

Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:46 pm

If we can get some money for him in January, I'd sooner take that than let him go free in the summer. That said, if we are headed for the Premier League, then losing him for free won't make much difference to our bank balance will it?

It's a tough one. I do believe we are stronger pushing for promotion with him, but the risk of not making promotion and then not making a penny off him is one that plays on my mind. Maybe I should be more positive? :D

He won't suit us in the PL, sadly. He's a better player than he was when we were last there, but I don't think he has enough pace about him to cope in the PL at all now, if I'm honest. Great player for us in our current league though.

Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:11 am

You mean like Manga did last summer? Warnock put up with it. Everyone seems to love Manga?