Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Do you think Cardiff City should field a strong team in the FA Cup?

You may select 1 option

View results

“ Do you want a cup run? “

Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:55 pm

The FA Cup Third Round draw is made on Monday, after the Second Round ties this weekend.

Warnock got a lot of criticism last season for his comments about our tie with Fulham, and the fact we fielded a weak team.

Do you think we should field a strong team in the competition this season as well as in the league, or focus on the league?

Re: “ Do you want a cup run? “

Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:00 pm

Absolutely we should, not guaranteed a top six finish so might as well have a bit of enjoyment along the way and if a top six finish then great stuff. :bluebird:

Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:05 pm

I want a top flight Prem team at home and I want to win this game,so basically this is the start of a cup run.YES :thumbup:

Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:06 pm

Think he can put out a strong team just leave out odd player we have enough strength in squad

Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:10 pm

no thanks..i want us to finish as high as possible and extra games defo detract from that.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:28 pm

We will more than likely be playing Championship football next season, so I don't see any reason for us not at least trying to get as far as possible in the cup. If our past is anything to go by, this could be a rare opportunity to bring one of the big clubs to Cardiff. We have a far better chance of seeing one of the big sides here in the cup, rather than waiting for them to be here in the league. If history repeats itself, I will be long gone from this life before we get to the top division again.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:35 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:We will more than likely be playing Championship football next season, so I don't see any reason for us not at least trying to get as far as possible in the cup. If our past is anything to go by, this could be a rare opportunity to bring one of the big clubs to Cardiff. We have a far better chance of seeing one of the big sides here in the cup, rather than waiting for them to be here in the league. If history repeats itself, I will be long gone from this life before we get to the top division again.

I thought that but two cup finals and a promotion to premier shows anything can happen? :occasion5:

Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:47 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:We will more than likely be playing Championship football next season, so I don't see any reason for us not at least trying to get as far as possible in the cup. If our past is anything to go by, this could be a rare opportunity to bring one of the big clubs to Cardiff. We have a far better chance of seeing one of the big sides here in the cup, rather than waiting for them to be here in the league. If history repeats itself, I will be long gone from this life before we get to the top division again.

i dont remember playing many top half prem clubs in the FA cup tbh..Leeds were top..but before that..? 1977 Everton ?

Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:48 pm

Talk about pessimist, glass half empty merchant, you epitomise it, no faith whatsoever! Imagine you captaining a side, do your best lads we will probably get beat, but we will have another go next season, ffs have some belief, words fail me, unbelievable. 2nd in table after nearly half a season and you throwing the towel in! Thank god NW is manager and not someone like you, as NW will believe! :bluescarf:

Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:12 pm

The Cobra wrote:

Talk about pessimist, glass half empty merchant, you epitomise it, no faith whatsoever! Imagine you captaining a side, do your best lads we will probably get beat, but we will have another go next season, ffs have some belief, words fail me, unbelievable. 2nd in table after nearly half a season and you throwing the towel in! Thank god NW is manager and not someone like you, as NW will believe! :bluescarf:

Having watched us for 50 years, I have every reason not to go ott like so many of you on here. I have seen us at the top of this league before and still remain in this division.
Every striker who comes here is the next Messi, every manager is the next Fergusson and so on. A couple of wins and we are Barcelona, a couple of defeats and we are on our way down.
I have learned to keep things in perspective, and to date most of my forecasts are more accurate than the fantasists on here. By the way, I did captain my football team to winning the S Wales Amateur League and again in the Welsh League.
If we are in the top two at the end of January I will start to believe. Too early yet, been through all this before.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:28 pm

In the past it seemed being in the top flight and winning trophy's was just for big name clubs.
Clubs like Swansea and Wigan etc.have shown ANY club can have period of success even us!.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:33 pm

Unlike many of our fans I go to the Cup games with anticipation, though not optimism. I hope the FA Cup is a priority for Warnock. Players who aren't selected regularly such as Tomlin can have a chance to shine and others, like Harris and Richards can use it as a way back to fitness. Youngsters like Harris and Coxe can be given vital opportunities against lower level teams.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:02 pm

Get some youngsters and reserves game time and a run won't hurt

Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:15 pm

Big premier team away from home for a nice day trip

Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:29 pm

Simple matter is, you should want your team to win every game you compete in.

Still sour thinking about the Burton Albion game and how Warnock threw the game into them really.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:44 pm

I'm all for as many achievements as you can. Loving City at the moment and the only game which I regretted going to was when we fogged out of the Caribooboo cup. From experience, NWs priorities are on PL so can't fault that so I don't expect anything it that. That said, I miss the old FA Cup runs where the final used to be a thing that lasted all day whatever team you supported. :old:

Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:45 pm

DandoCCFC wrote:Simple matter is, you should want your team to win every game you compete in.

Still sour thinking about the Burton Albion game and how Warnock threw the game into them really.

Of course you should, and imagine what a confidence booster it would be if we can beat one of the big boys. I remember the buzz after we beat teams like Man City, Spurs Leeds etc. in these cup competitions, and I also remember the big queues for tickets. It gets the whole place going and creates a lot of excitement and anticipation when the draws for the various rounds are made. I think a good cup run would be great, and possibly bring some more supporters back to the club.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:14 pm

Depends who we draw but good enough reserve squad.

Would like to get through 2 rounds just to draw United and see 30000 fans claim weekly attendance loyalty lol

Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:24 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:
DandoCCFC wrote:Simple matter is, you should want your team to win every game you compete in.

Of course you should, and imagine what a confidence booster it would be if we can beat one of the big boys. I remember the buzz after we beat teams like Man City, Spurs Leeds etc. in these cup competitions, and I also remember the big queues for tickets. It gets the whole place going and creates a lot of excitement and anticipation when the draws for the various rounds are made. I think a good cup run would be great, and possibly bring some more supporters back to the club.

Exactly, big opposition or opposition around us we should be looking to win no matter what.

A shout out to the 13 fans who voted no, top supporters you are.

This is becoming part of the modern game now and I don't like it and think it's disrespectful and just simply wrong that supporters and managers wouldn't really give a rats arse about going out and say things like prioritise the league.. I can forgive the manager and team if we go out if we put in a performance that is worthy of competing and giving us a strong chance of winning the game but performances like Fulham in January and Burton were simply disgraceful and pathetic performances.
It simply wasn't the Warnock performances we see in the league and he was much too blame for poor team selection and the attitude of the players, it was half hearted attempts from the teams that day and I really hope we don't see the same in January.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:41 pm

pembroke allan wrote:Think he can put out a strong team just leave out odd player we have enough strength in squad

Agree .

Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:44 pm

DandoCCFC wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:

Exactly, big opposition or opposition around us we should be looking to win no matter what.

This is becoming part of the modern game now and I don't like it and think it's disrespectful and just simply wrong that supporters and managers wouldn't really give a rats arse about going out and say things like prioritise the league.. I can forgive the manager and team if we go out if we put in a performance that is worthy of competing and giving us a strong chance of winning the game but performances like Fulham in January and Burton were simply disgraceful and pathetic performances.
It simply wasn't the Warnock performances we see in the league and he was much too blame for poor team selection and the attitude of the players, it was half hearted attempts from the teams that day and I really hope we don't see the same in January.

A good cup run tends to create extra interest in the club. Suddenly, people in Cardiff who don't usually pay much attention to the club sit up and take notice. No reason why we can't have a decent run. We have to be one of the top 30 clubs in Britain at the moment. Don't need to win a bucket load of games to find yourself in the last eight. We should be capable of competing in the league and the cup.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:58 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:
DandoCCFC wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:

A good cup run tends to create extra interest in the club. Suddenly, people in Cardiff who don't usually pay much attention to the club sit up and take notice. No reason why we can't have a decent run. We have to be one of the top 30 clubs in Britain at the moment. Don't need to win a bucket load of games to find yourself in the last eight. We should be capable of competing in the league and the cup.

Spot on, it would definitely boost the interest in our league position and belief in promotion if we drew/scalped a prem team!

Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:07 pm

DandoCCFC wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:

i voted no...and feel exactly the opposite to you yes voters...top supporters you lot are
2nd in the league and you want a cup run which invariably will hurt league form just in the hope we can draw a top 6 club...

Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:24 pm

dogfound wrote:
DandoCCFC wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:

i voted no...and feel exactly the opposite to you yes voters...top supporters you lot are
2nd in the league and you want a cup run which invariably will hurt league form just in the hope we can draw a top 6 club...

Little LINCOLN got to the quarter finals last year and went up - Huddersfield got to the round before and went up ???

Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:25 pm

dogfound wrote:
DandoCCFC wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:

Top supporters? Didn't really hurt in malkys Cup run did it?... We've got a big enough squad to play an entirely different starting 11 in the cup and still have a reasonably decent team.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:33 pm

nubbsy wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:
DandoCCFC wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:

Spot on, it would definitely boost the interest in our league position and belief in promotion if we drew/scalped a prem team!

it creates interest for 5 minutes ....6th jan 2002 beat Leeds 22k...12th Jan 2002 Peterboro home lge..11k

Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:35 pm

nubbsy wrote:
dogfound wrote:
DandoCCFC wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:

Top supporters? Didn't really hurt in malkys Cup run did it?... We've got a big enough squad to play an entirely different starting 11 in the cup and still have a reasonably decent team.

didnt it ?...we were 3rd 2points behind 2nd spot prior to beating Palace and the distraction.then won just 1 in 7 and just about got 6th.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:40 pm

TopCat CCFC wrote:
dogfound wrote:
DandoCCFC wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:

Little LINCOLN got to the quarter finals last year and went up - Huddersfield got to the round before and went up ???

not a lincoln fan im a Cardiff fan and these cup runs cost us.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:45 pm

dogfound wrote:
TopCat CCFC wrote:
dogfound wrote:
DandoCCFC wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:

not a lincoln fan im a Cardiff fan and these cup runs cost us.

Are you THICK or STUPID - To what you said - These clubs went up last season with a " CUP RUN " -

Try and keep up with your points - Or are you that thick you don't know what your posting ?????

Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:47 pm

managers up and down the country will field weakened teams..as did Malky the year we went up..as i have no doubt Warnock will again this year...its not because they dont like the FA cup..its because they really dont want the extra games..its not 1905 its the 21st century.