Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Calum Patterson / Hearts Fan here

Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:22 pm

Hi there.

You'll guess from my user name who I support up here in Scotland but been looking out for Cardiff results due to signing our best player.

How do you guys think he's settling and how do you see him progressing with you guys? Early impressions?

1 goal and three assists so far looks not a bad return so far but looking for you guys opinions.

Re: Calum Patterson

Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:28 pm

What a player, strong, quick, great cross and scores.

Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:57 pm

Absolute gem of a player and I think he can only get better and better. He will be a big star for Scotland I'm sure.

Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:14 pm

City Slicker wrote:Absolute gem of a player and I think he can only get better and better. He will be a big star for Scotland I'm sure.

That he is. Can be a bit rash and pick up bookings and even injuries but he's a great player. You guys got him for a steal as well. Glad he negotiated a decent sell on clause for us. Shows that he has a genuine touch of class about him

We are missing him big time now.

Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:17 pm

Hearts Fan wrote:
City Slicker wrote:Absolute gem of a player and I think he can only get better and better. He will be a big star for Scotland I'm sure.

That he is. Can be a bit rash and pick up bookings and even injuries but he's a great player. You guys got him for a steal as well. Glad he negotiated a decent sell on clause for us. Shows that he has a genuine touch of class about him

We are missing him big time now.

We love him down here already.

All the best to Hearts for the rest of the season.

Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:50 pm

Going to be a brilliant player for us no doubt whatsoever.

Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:18 pm

He's been great so far strong, powerful, and quick. The only thing I'm not sure about is where his best position is I'm not sure if he's better at RB or Winger. But either way he's settled really well considering his injury last season and he's got a big future.

Re: Calum Patterson / Hearts Fan here

Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:34 pm

I love him already and is a future Cardiff captain, you won't see the best of him until next season after a full pre season. Not sure his best position, a wing back for sure and can tuck in at right midfield away from home and operate as a wing when we go forward. He's not a winger though. Thoughts?

Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:44 pm

Won’t be with us long. Gonna get a move to a bigger club.

Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:20 pm

maccydee wrote:Won’t be with us long. Gonna get a move to a bigger club.

He has some way to go before that happens, especially if we go up! :bluescarf:

Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:33 pm

He's got all the attributes to be a top class player and he's started very well for us. He's already shown his end product with a goal and 3 assists, but he's such an exciting player to watch with his pace, power and commitment.

My only concern is when a tricky winger is running at him in a one on one situation, he's been beaten a few times and he seems much more comfortable attacking than defending. As already said, wing back would probably be his perfect position, but in our current system, I think I would rather Paterson in a right midfield role with someone more defensively solid behind him at right back.

Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:54 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:He's got all the attributes to be a top class player and he's started very well for us. He's already shown his end product with a goal and 3 assists, but he's such an exciting player to watch with his pace, power and commitment.

My only concern is when a tricky winger is running at him in a one on one situation, he's been beaten a few times and he seems much more comfortable attacking than defending. As already said, wing back would probably be his perfect position, but in our current system, I think I would rather Paterson in a right midfield role with someone more defensively solid behind him at right back.

The biggest problem is if you want Paterson in a right midfield role, how do you fit Paterson, Mendez-Laing and Hoilett all in the same team? Its a nice problem to have but I really don't know who I would go with on Monday vs Reading unless we play a 3-4-3 formation and have him as wing back.

Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:05 pm

Bluebird Warrior wrote:
Tonteg Bluebird wrote:He's got all the attributes to be a top class player and he's started very well for us. He's already shown his end product with a goal and 3 assists, but he's such an exciting player to watch with his pace, power and commitment.

The biggest problem is if you want Paterson in a right midfield role, how do you fit Paterson, Mendez-Laing and Hoilett all in the same team? Its a nice problem to have but I really don't know who I would go with on Monday vs Reading unless we play a 3-4-3 formation and have him as wing back.

I agree you can't drop Hoilett or Mendez-Laing when they are both fit and in form. At the moment, Paterson has just come back from a long injury and Mendez-Laing has just come back as well. Personally, I would play Paterson at right midfield next Monday with Manga at right back behind him, just to keep things solid and tight for the first 70 minutes. Then I would bring on Mendez-Laing as an impact sub.

But moving forwards, Paterson might be fine at right back when he gets fully fit. At Bristol City, he was only getting beaten by their winger late on when he started tiring, which is to be expected when being thrown in at the deep end at a new club in a new league when he's catching up with match fitness. Whatever position Paterson ends up nailing down, he's going to be a fantastic player for us.

Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:14 pm

He’s a super player.

Yes a steal but we’ve gambled on injury players before but Callum is some player

Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:36 pm

He's rubbish.

Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:04 pm

Not just a good player he is a cracking bloke too I see him with the supporters he doesn't just have photos with them he has a chat with them too he is top bloke.

Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:24 pm

Agree with nibluebird NW took a massive chance with him being injured, but that NW is a great manager he can see the bigger picture

Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:02 pm

He's a very good player.

Good luck to Hearts this season. Proper club with great fans. Visited Tynecastle a couple of times. Hearts, Hearts, glorious Hearts

Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:31 am

Hearts Fan wrote:Hi there.

You'll guess from my user name who I support up here in Scotland but been looking out for Cardiff results due to signing our best player.

How do you guys think he's settling and how do you see him progressing with you guys? Early impressions?

1 goal and three assists so far looks not a bad return so far but looking for you guys opinions.

I work in Bahrain , Middle East in the early 90s with a big Hearts fan. We started the Branch of the Hearts Supporters club out there. We were 5 strong with my mate, myself, the local Bahraini cleaner where we work, the cleaners assistant from the Philippines and finally a New Zealander who knew nothing about football.

My mate returned there 5 years ago and has married a Phillipines girl who now follows us thanks to our Phillipines keeper Etheridge. I send her a report of how he does every game and now the guy has a good following out there.

What a great world we live in.

Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:20 pm

Great player. Def starter for me!... Bags of pace, loves bursting into the box to get on the end of crosses. Been playing very high up the pitch.

Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:37 pm

Reminds me a lot of Mark Delaney in the one season he played for us in 1998/99. The only difference being Patterson is 10 times better and is a superstar in the making.

I agree with the poster above that he will in the very near future get a move to a top PL team.

Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:58 pm

Even when he first signed me and others on here were excited even though we had to wait a while to see him play just knew he had that potential already and confident he could fight his way into the team early on.

Had the same buzz with Paterson like Joe Bennett.

Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:35 am

Saw Patterson loads of times in Edinburgh derbies etc before he moved. I told anyone who asked me that when fit he will be superb for us which was painful for me being a Hibee ha ha.

He's quality though and was easily your best player with Walker who I think you will struggle to hold on to in January.

In fact I wouldn't mind city putting a cheeky bid in for Walker as well when the window opens.