Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Am i missing something with Swansea City??

Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:54 pm

I keep hearing fans of Swansea having a go at Huw Jenkins and calling him all sorts and saying he should leave and he's a traitor etc, but I don't get why. He took them from the brink of Relegation out of the league, got the Club from League 2 to the Premier league, gave them a way of playing and has kept the club debt free whilst also keeping a small club like Swansea in the premier league for 7 years and has now brought in American Investors. I also remember them playing us a few years back in the prem chanting "We love our Chairman" so why have they turned on him? Genuine question. I get that the American Investors haven't put any money in the club yet but I don't recall them saying that they would put a lot in but I may be wrong.

Re: Am i missing something with Swansea City??

Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:51 pm

The Jacks who lurk in the background but now never log on can correct me.

Its about a sense of entitlement and perceived greed. The first couple of season for them was a blast, they took everyone by surprise, even in the second season everyone thought it was a flash in the pan. Started by Flynn then continued by a Martinez, souza, rodgers they had a plan, in reality it was a sort of moneyball. They bought highly technical players and ignored their bad points (size, speed, sturdiness). Undoubtedly they were ahead of the curve and their chairman lapped up the praise.

As time progressed it was proving to be more difficult to pick up the bargains, so they started to pay and gamble more because the chairman thought he was a genius, knowing far more than "football professionals" and started to interfere with the model, but the faithful bought into the genius myth so went along with it.

Of course he wasn't a genius, he just got more good luck than bad in the early years, sacking laudrup accelerated the process. Fearing the end of the journey the main shareholders convinced a hedge fund manager (another nasty foreigner who doesn't care about the area) to buy the club allowing them to cash in. The spreadsheets probably say it was a good investment when you look at parachute payments even if they went down.

As we all know its shit watching your team lose, they got lucky last year with Clement who dodged a bullet avoiding relegation, then in the summer your genius chairman sells Siggy and the striker who between them saved you and replaced them with players we didn't want when he was with Leeds and spunked £7 million on a loan fee for a kid that looked lost.

So, the fans are sulking because they bought into the "we are different" myth, they even made a propaganda film to promote the myth. They know, even the relative newbies that their time is up and this team wouldn't complete in the championship where they will be stuck with a lot of expensive shit players with an owner looking to cut costs very quickly in order not to flitter away the parachute payments.

This is the same collective guilt and then anger we felt after we knew it was over four months into the premier league season. We started to see the truth, some seen more than there was, other still bought into it.

A painful few years ahead for the Jacks and some are getting their excuses in early.

Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:15 am

Bluebird Warrior wrote:I keep hearing fans of Swansea having a go at Huw Jenkins and calling him all sorts and saying he should leave and he's a traitor etc, but I don't get why. He took them from the brink of Relegation out of the league, got the Club from League 2 to the Premier league, gave them a way of playing and has kept the club debt free whilst also keeping a small club like Swansea in the premier league for 7 years and has now brought in American Investors. I also remember them playing us a few years back in the prem chanting "We love our Chairman" so why have they turned on him? Genuine question. I get that the American Investors haven't put any money in the club yet but I don't recall them saying that they would put a lot in but I may be wrong.

if your missing something i am missing it too...

Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:04 am

llan bluebird wrote:The Jacks who lurk in the background but now never log on can correct me.

Its about a sense of entitlement and perceived greed. The first couple of season for them was a blast, they took everyone by surprise, even in the second season everyone thought it was a flash in the pan. Started by Flynn then continued by a Martinez, souza, rodgers they had a plan, in reality it was a sort of moneyball. They bought highly technical players and ignored their bad points (size, speed, sturdiness). Undoubtedly they were ahead of the curve and their chairman lapped up the praise.

As time progressed it was proving to be more difficult to pick up the bargains, so they started to pay and gamble more because the chairman thought he was a genius, knowing far more than "football professionals" and started to interfere with the model, but the faithful bought into the genius myth so went along with it.

Of course he wasn't a genius, he just got more good luck than bad in the early years, sacking laudrup accelerated the process. Fearing the end of the journey the main shareholders convinced a hedge fund manager (another nasty foreigner who doesn't care about the area) to buy the club allowing them to cash in. The spreadsheets probably say it was a good investment when you look at parachute payments even if they went down.

As we all know its shit watching your team lose, they got lucky last year with Clement who dodged a bullet avoiding relegation, then in the summer your genius chairman sells Siggy and the striker who between them saved you and replaced them with players we didn't want when he was with Leeds and spunked £7 million on a loan fee for a kid that looked lost.

So, the fans are sulking because they bought into the "we are different" myth, they even made a propaganda film to promote the myth. They know, even the relative newbies that their time is up and this team wouldn't complete in the championship where they will be stuck with a lot of expensive shit players with an owner looking to cut costs very quickly in order not to flitter away the parachute payments.

This is the same collective guilt and then anger we felt after we knew it was over four months into the premier league season. We started to see the truth, some seen more than there was, other still bought into it.

A painful few years ahead for the Jacks and some are getting their excuses in early.

Good summary.
When things were going right, Jenkins couldn't wait to get his big head and even bigger hooter on the telly, trumpeting the model & how well-run they are, how all their board are fans etc. Now, apparently, when the media contact him for an insight into what's gone wrong he's suddenly "unavailable".
He took the Yanks money faster than you can say jack b*stard - and, in turn, they massaged his ego by giving him a director of football role.
Also complicit in this are the much fabled Supporters Trust. They take the plaudits for running Tony Petty out of the club (he was doing a wonderful job imo) and raised enough funds to buy a stake in the club. Again, this was shouted from the rooftops as the way all clubs should be, with fans having a say in the boardroom & in football decisions. Had a a film made about them by all accounts.
Since they also took the Yankee dollar, they've gone the same way and have kept silent through the recent turmoils.
All this pleases me very much & long may it continue :occasion5: :bluebird:

Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:16 am

Well for those of us gloating my advise is just hold back for the moment.

Yes they have a problem and their fans are more anxious than ever. However this season they seem to be losing by the odd goal where as last season it was by 3 or 4. Saying that if they don't pull it off again then you can see history repeating itself and them falling down the leagues. I can see Jenkins being forced out leaving the Yanks with a massive gap to fill. The Jacks have turned against him but if he goes then they will realise what they had. Times like this you need to support your club and even more so to the guy that dragged them out off the dungeon and into Europe.

Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:44 am

Bakedalasker wrote:Well for those of us gloating my advise is just hold back for the moment.

Yes they have a problem and their fans are more anxious than ever. However this season they seem to be losing by the odd goal where as last season it was by 3 or 4. Saying that if they don't pull it off again then you can see history repeating itself and them falling down the leagues. I can see Jenkins being forced out leaving the Yanks with a massive gap to fill. The Jacks have turned against him but if he goes then they will realise what they had. Times like this you need to support your club and even more so to the guy that dragged them out off the dungeon and into Europe.

They lost big players and replaced them poorly. Everyone can see the players they have are not good enough :occasion5:

Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:01 am

What was the film called a Jack to a king ? Or something like that .
Now I'm afraid they are left with a few queens and a pack of jokers.
PC will be gone if they lose to WBA, and I think he can't wait to get out of there.

Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:04 am

Oh how I weap for them

With joy

Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:23 am

Don't celebrate too soon lads.

Long way to go yet.

2 wins away from getting out of the relegation places.

They have experience of dealing with the pressure.

A few decent results and the moaning will stop

More important

Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:00 am

Lawnmower wrote:Don't celebrate too soon lads.

Long way to go yet.

More important

All very true but those wins required are not coming ! Winnable games recently have not happened so will have to start doing it the hard way but do they have fire power to win enough games?

Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:07 am

pembroke allan wrote:

Long way to go yet.

More important

All very true but those wins required are not coming ! Winnable games recently have not happened so will have to start doing it the hard way but do they have fire power to win enough games?

Got a couple of 6 pointers coming up, That will make it interesting.

Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:42 am

Long way to go yet.

More important

I agree.
According to many on here - we are virtually already promoted and the jacks are virtually relegated. It’s way too early in the season.
My fear is that they bring Pullis in and he does what he does and moves them up the table.

Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:47 am

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:

Long way to go yet.

More important

I agree.
According to many on here - we are virtually already promoted and the jacks are virtually relegated. It’s way too early in the season.
My fear is that they bring Pullis in and he does what he does and moves them up the table.

I have never been one to predict they're relegation. However, this season feels different. A lot of negativity around the club with worse players than last season. :occasion5:

Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:10 am

Bakedalasker wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Long way to go yet.

More important

Got a couple of 6 pointers coming up, That will make it interesting.

Yes but haven't done to well so far this season against similar opposition to themselve! You expect pardue to boost wbrom wham same it's likes maybe of Bournemouth hfield & brighon who could be down there with them, so group of potential clubs for relegation probably quite small. :old:

Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:31 am

Talking to a Jack in work and they believe the Owners in the States also, have a MLS Club, DC United

They are doing well in the League and Crowds are slowly increasing above 50k.

They are also building their own Stadium in Washington, moving into it for the 19/20 Season.

They believe that Swansea is a small part of the American's portfolio.

Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:44 pm

What’s with all the bloody Swansea posts recently, obsessed

Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:59 pm

I can see them losing to wba clement getting the chop then pulis will come in and keep them up by the skin of their teeth, they'll laud him for a while then want him out due to the 1 dimensional game they'll be playing not the 'Swansea way' :lol: so I'm not getting my hopes up just yet.

Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:33 pm

paulh_85 wrote:What’s with all the bloody Swansea posts recently, obsessed

There's 3 posts over past couple of months several made by one individual so no not obsessed just keeping up with the news down west as for some funny reason they've disappeared from here lately :thumbup:

Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:45 pm

pembroke allan wrote:

There's 3 posts over past couple of months several made by one individual so no not obsessed just keeping up with the news down west as for some funny reason they've disappeared from here lately :thumbup:

Yeah because they are shit, why would they post here, also don’t need too with people obsessing about them
S

Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:51 pm

Long way to go yet.

More important

If i remember rightly, what kept the tramps up last season was their ability in the last couple of months to beat most of the teams around them in the league at home, now so far this season they have played a lot of the bottom half teams at home and only beaten one of them, (huddersfield) also they don't seem to have any class players left at the club to change close games in their favour.

Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:26 pm

paulh_85 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Yeah because they are shit, why would they post here, also don’t need too with people obsessing about them
S

Funny this is a football forum and more! I know what they are playing might not be called football but it's football all the same so open to opinions. :thumbup:
Ps why you contributing to a swans post if you think city fans are obsessed ? :laughing6:

Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:31 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

S

Funny this is a football forum and more! I know what they are playing might not be called football but it's football all the same so open to opinions. :thumbup:
Ps why you contributing to a swans post if you think city fans are obsessed ? :laughing6:

Haha spot on.
Perhaps he’s a secret obsesser.
There’s always a few swansea posts going around as most City fans are desperate to see them crash & burn .... and there’s nothing wrong with that!

Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:06 pm

I honestly think Pulis is their only hope. If he comes in during the next week or so he’ll be able to get some players in the transfer window and give themselves a chance. I’m not sure that even Pulis can work his magic with these players, although West Ham, WBA, Bournemouth and Huddersfield are all pretty bad too and Swansea may be able to get above 3 of those.

Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:29 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

S

Haha spot on.
There’s always a few swansea posts going around as most City fans are desperate to see them crash & burn .... and there’s nothing wrong with that!

In my defence this is the first time I have ever posted something Swansea related and I just wanted to know why their Fans are so anti Jenkins after everything he's done for them over the last 7 years so I was wondering if anyone on here could tell me why. that's not being obsessive that's being curious as I listened to call rob on the way back from work on Saturday and heard loads of angry Swansea fans directing their anger at Huw Jenkins so I wondered what he had done, as I don't tend to keep up with all things Swansea :lol:

Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:34 pm

Bluebird Warrior wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

S

Haha spot on.

In my defence this is the first time I have ever posted something Swansea related and I just wanted to know why their Fans are so anti Jenkins after everything he's done for them over the last 7 years so I was wondering if anyone on here could tell me why. that's not being obsessive that's being curious as I listened to call rob on the way back from work on Saturday and heard loads of angry Swansea fans directing their anger at Huw Jenkins so I wondered what he had done, as I don't tend to keep up with all things Swansea :lol:

They are claiming he has sold out and is going to take the money and run.

As you say what he has done for them if any chairman deserves the rewards it is him.

Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:38 pm

Bluebird Warrior wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

S

Haha spot on.

quite simply the moaners have either forgot from where they came..or were not there back then
go and ask any fan of a bottom half league two club { thats where they were } would they begrudge a local businessman an 8mill profit in 15 years time if that 15 years included 3 promotions, a league cup and 7 premier league seasons.a new ground and 20k watching everyweek..dont think youd find many.
in all fainess i dont think its anything like a majority ,they tried to organise a protest 2 games ago and a dozen turned up.

Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:49 pm

Bluebird Warrior wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

S

Haha spot on.

The secret obsesser joke wasnt directed at you.

Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:58 pm

nojac wrote:What was the film called a Jack to a king ? Or something like that .
Now I'm afraid they are left with a few queens and a pack of jokers.
PC will be gone if they lose to WBA, and I think he can't wait to get out of there.

They can watch it backwards now from a jack to a tramp ;)

Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:20 pm

They really are crap fans already talk of then deserting the club and supporting local teams. Talk about spoilt brats. All the crap they've given us for what we've put up with and boom one bad season and they want to jump ship.

Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:33 pm

I really cant see Pulis going there and risking his reputation.The club is in freefall and long may it continue