Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" I am absolutely Convinced that we must sign "

Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:25 am

My View/Opinion :bluescarf:

MIDFIELD GENERAL :

I am absolutely convinced that we must sign a MIDFIELD GENERAL to boss and run the midfield and to be the DYNAMO of our team.
Preferably we should do so NOW or if not then asap (the reason for now/asap is in order to give him time to adapt to the rest of the team and so hit the pitch running in January - as he can't play before).

My idea is of a Roy Keane type (but at our level). A fit Bellamy but in midfield. Alternatively a young top notch youngster who looks to have every chance to make it at the very top - either on loan or to buy (I don't think Tan will put up any money). Considering our league position such players would love to join us.

Partly this may be financed by Pilkington and yes Gunnarsson leaving (if possible). Ralls, Damour, Bryson and Tomlin are doing a great job.

Gunnarsson I trust to give 100% if he stays. Halford can also do a job......
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: " I am absolutely Convinced that we must sign "

Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:27 am

Even Bamba can chip in for special games (eg Wolves).

I am not taking away anything from those players who have already proven that they can 'cut the mustard'.

What I am asking is to improve our chances - to be more certain . * We play a 4-3-2-1 formation * our defence is the best * our 2 wide players Mendez-Laing and Hoilett are on fire add Kadim Harris plus Feeney and we are excellent in that department.

* our lone forward from Zohore, Bogle , Ward & Gounongbe can probably get us there and anyway Warnock can not possibly add any more here (3 signed by him & Zohore is the apple of his eye). ** the only position where there is a questionmark about its excellence is the midfield.

COME ON NEIL - JUST DO IT !! It can be the difference between promotion or not. ps: if you do it

I will give you 3 Welsh sheep from the valleys on your next birthday :-). :lol: :ayatollah:

OPINIIONS :thumbright:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:53 am

Always welcome better players if they want to come here and we can justify it.

I don't think we can justify it as what we have is enough. Now if this enough is enough for the Premier well that's a different question all together.

Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:10 am

Think you might be right carl (sure it's him looking at previous posts might be wrong haha). Not sure tan will give us the money required for someone top notch but will be nice.

Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:18 am

gagsey wrote:Think you might be right carl (sure it's him looking at previous posts might be wrong haha). Not sure tan will give us the money required for someone top notch but will be nice.

Carl?

Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:38 am

Totally agree Annis....i have wanted that from the outset...we never have good possession stats...as the Gaffer' s style is to allow the opposition to have it and hit them on the break. Feeney is only with us til jan and then kadeem should be back. i think Feeney going back and selling Pilks would free up the wages and get that creative rock in....charlie adam would be my choice...he doesn t take prisoners either :shock:

Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:45 am

I'd love Adam in his prime but i think the Warnock model player is highly mobile and put the miles in.

I agree another centre midfielder needs to be sort, Gunnar doesn't appear as reliable (availability) as previous seasons

Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:10 am

That’s a fair shout as I don’t think Mark Harris is ready to make the step up yet either. Maybe asking a lot, but someone with experience of winning promotion to the Premier League would be highly advantageous.

Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:54 am

I remember a good few seasons ago Birmingham did exactly this and got in Lee Bowyer and he made a difference including scoring against us in a one nil win if I not correct.

That sort of player makes a difference.

We done it a couple of times when we struggling and got Gary O Neil and Aaron Ramsey on loan.

Find the right player and it will give us a further boost :thumbup:

Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:03 pm

Bring the pitbull gary medel back.ahaha

Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:01 pm

By the way it's Annis not Carl :lol: :bluebird:

And I will get the Sheep for Warnock :lol: :bluebird:

And not Spanish Sheep, Welsh Sheep :lol: :ayatollah:

Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:02 pm

neilst wrote:Bring the pitbull gary medel back.ahaha

I'd love to see him back :bluescarf:

Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:08 pm

Forever Blue wrote:By the way it's Annis not Carl :lol: :bluebird:

You definitely not me Annis :lol:

But I will help with the sheep, I am sure we could herd a few from Neath :D

Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:22 pm

carlccfc wrote:

:lol:

Carl, We are sounding like Sam :bluebird:

Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:25 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:Always welcome better players if they want to come here and we can justify it.

I don't think we can justify it as what we have is enough. Now if this enough is enough for the Premier well that's a different question all together.

Ian, If we are in the top 2 in January, we could attract a player who will also do well in the Premier League, I bet Warnock would find him and if he thought he got Welsh Sheep to take to Devon for doing it, I'm sure Warnock would not turn them down :lol: :thumbright:

Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:29 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
carlccfc wrote:

:lol:

Carl, We are sounding like Sam :bluebird:

Sheep shagging bastards, we know what we are :clap: :D :bluebird:

Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:56 pm

A good Premier League loan player might make the difference. Someone like that Izzy Brown who was at Huddersfield last season ( yes, I know he’s at Brighton on loan now, but I mean someone like him).

One new signing, if only on loan, to give the rest of the squad and the fans a lift is all wee need. But I wouldn’t worry if we didn’t sign anybody either.

Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:01 pm

Totally agree....I've been saying this for a good while. We've nobody to dominate from midfield. A Charlie Adam-type would be perfect.

Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:29 pm

Another centre midfielder would be nice, but I genuinely think we need another winger. Yes, NML and Hoilett are excellent, but once Feeney goes in January, and with Harris' injuries and lack of preseason, we lack depth on the wing which is one of the most vital parts of our tactics working.

Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:24 pm

We haven't had a midfield general for year, the last one i can think of was Paul Ramsey, a very under rated player.

Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:31 pm

best 2 iv seen at this level is Barry Bannan or Ryan Woods.
either 1 of them 2 would be brilliant if we could afford or tempt them

Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:25 pm

NyeBluebird wrote:Another centre midfielder would be nice, but I genuinely think we need another winger. Yes, NML and Hoilett are excellent, but once Feeney goes in January, and with Harris' injuries and lack of preseason, we lack depth on the wing which is one of the most vital parts of our tactics working.

Personally I'm happy with the central midfielders they for the most part carry out Warnock's game plan. If we are short then I agree it may well be out wide. Patterson has done well to step in but that has left Manga at right back and I'm not sure that is a good long term idea based on his performance up against Murphy on Friday night.

As you point out Harris has been out for quite sometime and we don't know if he will regain last seasons form.

Also I have a slight concern about Bennett at left-back. He is a great technical player but seems to get beaten too easily at times and can get bullied off the ball.

Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:29 pm

Woody CCFC wrote:We haven't had a midfield general for year, the last one i can think of was Paul Ramsey, a very under rated player.

Graham Kavanagh was brilliant at times. I also liked Gareth Stoker who really couldn't do anything but kick the shit out of the opposition.

Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:11 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
Woody CCFC wrote:We haven't had a midfield general for year, the last one i can think of was Paul Ramsey, a very under rated player.

Graham Kavanagh was brilliant at times. I also liked Gareth Stoker who really couldn't do anything but kick the shit out of the opposition.

I was going to mention Kav as well. Great player :ayatollah:

Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:16 am

Double G wrote:best 2 iv seen at this level is Barry Bannan or Ryan Woods.

Bannan isn't a midfield general, he's a small, agile, attacking minded midfielder. I'm not saying he isn't a good player though.

Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:20 am

VincentTanOut wrote:

Bannan isn't a midfield general, he's a small, agile, attacking minded midfielder. I'm not saying he isn't a good player though.

Bannan plays the deep role now and completely controls the game. i know hes little, but at ours everything went through him. was a delight to watch. and after watching wednesday on sky, hes been the same. doesnt play the attacking role anymore mate

Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:04 am

May sound dumb, but I reckon a move for Harry Wilson on loan.
Not sure about the finances, but surely Liverpool want the boy playing first team football somewhere...
I’m thinking replacement for Feeney rather than MF general...

Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:30 am

Double G wrote:
VincentTanOut wrote:

Bannan plays the deep role now and completely controls the game. i know hes little, but at ours everything went through him. was a delight to watch. and after watching wednesday on sky, hes been the same. doesnt play the attacking role anymore mate

I didn't say he plays the attacking role, I said he's attacking minded. To me, a midfield general is a strong, scary, hardworking midfielder who bullies the opposing midfield and does the nitty gritty work, and that definitely isn't Bannan. I guess it depends what you class a midfield general as though.

Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:02 am

I believe we WILL sign a midfielder in the January window. For the simple reason is that any teams who are in the top 6 by January and DON"T sign anyone in the transfer window will be accused of complacency and resting on their laurels and if they fail to get promoted the fact they didn't see the need to strengthen, when those around them did, will be used against them.

Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:15 pm

As Warnock said, it depends who becomes available. I do think a senior Prem player is a possibility, but a loan might be more likely for the likes of Adam.