Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Good enough for the premier

Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:02 am

If we manage to pull off promotion this year . Who in the current squad is good enough to make the step up with us.
Im not sure too many are, we seem to have a squad of very good championship level players.

My choices would be

Bruno Manga
Callum patterson
Sol bamba
Junior hoilett
Mendez laing
Lee tomlin

Other than those 6 players i cant see anyone else on our squad good enough at the moment to play premier league

It would mean a lot of new players in the summer.

Re: Good enough for the premier

Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:49 pm

Just impossible to summarise really.

Can’t see bamba being any good tho, and Tomlinson’s definitely won’t

Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:16 pm

I think Joe ralls and Sean Morrison are capable of prem standard. Joe Bennett jazz Richards gunnar (if he stays)

Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:55 pm

Not sure if the names mentioned are good enough. Some of these players have been around for a long time, and if they were good enough for the PL you would have thought they would already be there. Lee Tomlin for example has had a brief crack at it but presumably Bournemouth did not believe he was good enough as he was loaned out to Bristol.
I think our players have the qualities required to battle it out in the Championship, but we know from experience that most of our players who get us to the top division are not really good enough to keep us there.

Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:45 pm

Paterson
Manga
Bamba
Bennett
Damour (Possibly)
Mendez-Laing
Hoilett
Zohore

Just remember though Jamie Vardy, Danny Drinkwater, and Riyad Mahrez were bang average Championship players before they got promoted so you never know really who can make the step up to the prem.

Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:50 pm

Etheridge ( potentially )
Bennett
Morrison
Bamba
Jazz
Paterson
Damour
Hoilett
NML
Zohore
Bogle ( possibly, haven't seen enough )
K. Harris

We would get decent fees for Ralls, Manga & Tomlin.

Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:50 pm

Bluebird Warrior wrote:Paterson
Manga
Bamba
Bennett
Damour (Possibly)
Mendez-Laing
Hoilett
Zohore

Just remember though Jamie Vardy, Danny Drinkwater, and Riyad Mahrez were bang average Championship players before they got promoted so you never know really who can make the step up to the prem.

I didn't realise Mahrez played in the championship!

Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:54 pm

CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:
Manga
Bamba
Bennett
Damour (Possibly)
Mendez-Laing
Hoilett
Zohore

He signed for Leicester when they were in the championship :thumbup:

Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:33 pm

Manga
Bamba
Bennett
Damour (Possibly)
Mendez-Laing
Hoilett
Zohore

yes they bought him in the January window prior to promoton..bit harsh calling him bang average championship player though as they were coasting to promotion...bit like when we signed Campbell.

Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:15 pm

dogfound wrote:
Manga
Bamba
Bennett
Damour (Possibly)
Mendez-Laing
Hoilett
Zohore

yes they bought him in the January window prior to promoton..bit harsh calling him bang average championship player though as they were coasting to promotion...bit like when we signed Campbell.

3 goals in 19 games is bang average though imo, its not like he was tearing it up when he joined them in the championship, but my point is that him Vardy and Drinkwater were ok championship players that have now turned out as star premier league players so my point is that we can say this player will make it or that player wont make it, but at the end of the day we wont know till their playing in the prem. Look at Campbell who scored 7 in 12 in the champ but couldn't step up to the prem compared to Mahrez who was ok in the champ but is now a very good premier league player. We wont know till we're there :D

Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:14 pm

Gunnars was dreadful when we were in the Premiership, but has improved no end with all his international experience. If you look at teams like Burnley and Bournemouth it's quite surprising some of the players who've made the transition. If we made it then the likes of Ralls and Bogle could step up.

Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:10 pm

bluemun wrote:Gunnars was dreadful when we were in the Premiership, but has improved no end with all his international experience. If you look at teams like Burnley and Bournemouth it's quite surprising some of the players who've made the transition. If we made it then the likes of Ralls and Bogle could step up.

Leicester's PL winning team was based on a brilliant team spirit a style of play not too did-similar to ours. To get the best out of players you have to use a system which suits their strengths.

That's what Burnley and Bournemouth have done and why some of their players have made the transition to the PL seamlessly.

I believe the players we have are so suited to the style of play we have and that we could surprise a lot of pundits next season if we went up this time. The secret is scoring enough goals in the PL and I have thought since day one there are goals in this team.