George Thorne - Derby County
Sergi Canos - Brentford

Gary Hooper - Sheffield Wednesday
Lee Gregory - Millwall
Ellis Harrison - Bristol Rovers

Re: “ CARDIFF CITY PLAYER IN EFL TEAM OF THE WEEK “

Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:12 pm

How many times now?

Yet some still doubt him. Very solid (at this level at least).

Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:56 pm

jimmy_rat wrote:How many times now?

Totally deserved, Captain Fantastic at the moment.

Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:12 pm

Great player doesn't get much credit seems to be going the way Hudson did.

Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:57 pm

Ballistic Blue wrote:Great player doesn't get much credit seems to be going the way Hudson did.

The problem is he is prone to dropping the odd bollock. We only have to think back to the Brentford game and the way he gave the ball away which should have resulted in a goal, we were only saved because Neal Maupay contrived the biggest miss we'll see this season.

Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:00 pm

Well only if your definition of 'solid' is giving the ball away to the opposition's centre-forward in your own penalty area. Morrison has played well in certain games this season but we all know he will make terrible mistakes on a regular basis.

Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:56 am

As does Bamba - as does Manga - which is why they are playing for us and not in the Premier League.

I think he's gone up a level this year - far more connection between him and the crowd, he loves an understated double fist pump!

:bluebird:

Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:18 am

JimmyJazz wrote:As does Bamba - as does Manga - which is why they are playing for us and not in the Premier League.

I think he's gone up a level this year - far more connection between him and the crowd, he loves an understated double fist pump!

:bluebird:

We are not talking about Bamba and Manga :lol: we are talking about Morrison who has a record of dropping big mistakes as we saw against Brentford recently where it was actually Bamba's efforts which helped to save us from conceding an unnecessary goal.

That is why some fans still have doubts about him. That is not to say that some of his recent performances have been a lot better but fans like me still have nagging doubts.

Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:43 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:

Well only if your definition of 'solid' is giving the ball away to the opposition's centre-forward in your own penalty area. Morrison has played well in certain games this season but we all know he will make terrible mistakes on a regular basis.

We have the meanest defence. He's not making that many. They way we play and invite the opposition on to us so we can break means he's going to be under more pressure. I for one am very happy with him. And I'll let him make the odd terrible mistake if we continue to have to meanest defence in the league.

Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:42 pm

Ballistic Blue wrote:Great player doesn't get much credit seems to be going the way Hudson did.

The problem is he is prone to dropping the odd bollock. We only have to think back to the Brentford game and the way he gave the ball away which should have resulted in a goal, we were only saved because Neal Maupay contrived the biggest miss we'll see this season.

I'm sure one mistake doesn't define his season. Warnock must be missing something your seeing buddy. We'd be lucky to be in second if our center back really made as many major mistakes as you like to think.

Solid player and captain.

Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:05 pm

Morrison has been first class thus season in fact since oct last year when warnock arrived. Cant believe we have people out there who think he is a liability in anyway. Solid performer and would say manga and bamba have at times caused more errors. Keep up the great form captain

Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:47 pm

nubbsy wrote:

I'm sure one mistake doesn't define his season. Warnock must be missing something your seeing buddy. We'd be lucky to be in second if our center back really made as many major mistakes as you like to think.

Solid player and captain.

Morrison has made far more than one mistake.

I can remember several times when he has been wobbly and it wasn't that long ago he was known for being deadly in the opposition's box but too weak in ours. QPR away a couple of years ago summed it up brilliantly when he failed to mark Clint Hill who scored from a corner only to score a goal for us from a corner in the second half.

Also he is very dodgy when fast tricky player runs at him directly. I remember him being all over the place against Barnsley last season.

Finally Etheridge has saved our backsides time and again this season, more often than not because of a mistake by Morrison.

Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:52 pm

jimmy_rat wrote:

We have the meanest defence. He's not making that many. They way we play and invite the opposition on to us so we can break means he's going to be under more pressure. I for one am very happy with him. And I'll let him make the odd terrible mistake if we continue to have to meanest defence in the league.

The original question was 'why do fans still doubt him?'

I answered because he is prone to mistakes. We owe a lot to Etheridge who saved the defence's cock up's time and again this season.

What you need to say 'you'll let him make the odd terrible mistake provided Etheridge continues to cover for him'.

Let's just hope Etheridge stays fit and well.

Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:33 pm

I've been one of Morrison's biggest critics in the past and it amazed me how people said I was being harsh. So far this season, Morrison has been at fault for:

The own goal in the cup.
The slide tackle at Sunderland giving away the penalty.
Backing 30 yards off Che Adams at Birmingham before letting him jink inside him to score without putting a tackle in.
Giving Aden Flint a free header to score Bristol City's winner.
His weak clearance for Norwich's goal.

As already said, Etheridge has saved him a few times as well, doing a great one on one save against Scott Hogan early on when Morrison sold himself (Bamba's poor header started the build up to that) and the Brentford mistake.

But I have to admit that overall, Morrison is making a lot less mistakes this season. He's gone from someone who I feel was a defensive liability last season to someone who is relatively solid but can still drop the odd clanger this season.

I will never change my opinion on Morrison's flaws, the added energy and work rate in our midfield in front of him and a decisive keeper who comes off his line to sweep up through balls and command his box taking crosses behind him has been a massive help to Morrison this season.

As long as he keeps giving his best and keeps doing a relatively solid job, I will stop criticising Morrison and get behind him. Bamba and Manga have made several mistakes this season as well, but our defence overall this season has been fantastic, with Morrison being a big part of us conceding the least goals in the league so far.

I think overall, Morrison is doing more than alright at the moment and he currently deserves all the plaudits coming his way. I hope he keeps up his improved performances and keeps proving me wrong.