Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Patterson / Bennett signings One genius one mistake

Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:52 am

When we signed Bennett last year from Villa on a free and he was injured I distinctly remember the criticism that came the way of ‘Tan’s transfer committee’ as he was injured. It was stated as a waste of money paying him while he was injured.

Then

Patterson signs (for a fee) and is injured for longer than Bennett was yet it is deemed a masterstroke by Warnock.

Now I happen to think both signings were very good and worthwhile despite the injuries however is this is a case of disparity once again? Are the people who criticised willing to agree they made a mistake now seeing the player Bennett is?

Re: Patterson / Bennett signings One genius one mistake

Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:43 am

maccydee wrote:When we signed Bennett last year from Villa on a free and he was injured I distinctly remember the criticism that came the way of ‘Tan’s transfer committee’ as he was injured. It was stated as a waste of money paying him while he was injured.

Then

Patterson signs (for a fee) and is injured for longer than Bennett was yet it is deemed a masterstroke by Warnock.

Now I happen to think both signings were very good and worthwhile despite the injuries however is this is a case of disparity once again? Are the people who criticised willing to agree they made a mistake now seeing the player Bennett is?

Patterson was almost certainly Warnock signing but there again the 'committee' had to agree to the transfer. Jury still out for me on Bennett, he is a talented player but can get beaten too easily at times by a tricky winger, that said he did come on a free. What we can say about both is we have full-backs who both score which isn't something which has happened too often over the years.

However, your point was about the transfer committee which obviously has had it's fair share of bloopers but in fairness has also made some very good signings, Zohore for example. The fact is whatever system you put in place at some point a sinker of a signing will come along. Even Warnock has had a couple (Richardson, Chamakh and maybe Halford) but on balance they have probably done a decent job if not a spectacular one.

Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:05 pm

maccydee wrote:When we signed Bennett last year from Villa on a free and he was injured I distinctly remember the criticism that came the way of ‘Tan’s transfer committee’ as he was injured. It was stated as a waste of money paying him while he was injured.

Then

people constantly want the penny and the bun , especially when its anything to do with Tan..
there is a ...we must sign thread at the moment..which would be fair enough if half those contributing ideas for what we need were not the same posters that apparently think the debt and reducing debt is of paramount importance .

Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:37 pm

Big difference in the 2 signings...Bennett got injured after signing for us, while everyone was aware that Patterson was badly injured when we made the offer for him.

In Patterson case the fact he was injured was the only reason why we were able to sign him. A few premier league teams were in talks to buy him but unfortunately he then got badly injured and they were not prepared to take a chance. Which is where we stepped in and took a gamble.

Either way, injured or not, transfer committee or not we have got 2 bargains

Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:45 pm

oohahhPaulMillar wrote:Big difference in the 2 signings...Bennett got injured after signing for us, while everyone was aware that Patterson was badly injured when we made the offer for him.

In Patterson case the fact he was injured was the only reason why we were able to sign him. A few premier league teams were in talks to buy him but unfortunately he then got badly injured and they were not prepared to take a chance. Which is where we stepped in and took a gamble.

Either way, injured or not, transfer committee or not we have got 2 bargains

Not true we signed Bennett injured.

Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:46 pm

dogfound wrote:

Then

people constantly want the penny and the bun , especially when its anything to do with Tan..
there is a ...we must sign thread at the moment..which would be fair enough if half those contributing ideas for what we need were not the same posters that apparently think the debt and reducing debt is of paramount importance .

Great posters.

We want to sign a midfielder who dominates games and scores goals. Graham Kavanagh cost us £1.5 million over 15 years ago. Can you imagine what a player like that would cost us today?

Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:23 am

I can't Remeber that much back lash about Bennett really, few moaners as there is with any decision. Is it really worth bringing up for the sake of having a dig?

Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:47 am

Maybe everyone was happy with the Paterson signing because we'd signed an international player, who is highly regarded, on a free (excl. compensation)?

Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:43 am

nubbsy wrote:I can't Remeber that much back lash about Bennett really, few moaners as there is with any decision. Is it really worth bringing up for the sake of having a dig?

How am I having a dig? I’m stimulating debate about disparity. If there’s anyone having a dig it’s you.

Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:15 pm

maccydee wrote:
nubbsy wrote:I can't Remeber that much back lash about Bennett really, few moaners as there is with any decision. Is it really worth bringing up for the sake of having a dig?

How am I having a dig? I’m stimulating debate about disparity. If there’s anyone having a dig it’s you.

People moaned about both, but there was more hype about Patterson and warnock himself was verbally very excited about the capture which probably gave people some more patience. With our track record of signing crocks there's bound to be a few moaners. Important thing is they are both performing!

Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:25 pm

Bennett is absolute class.
A few months ago Fulham were prepared to pay millions from him.

Great signing who's still getting better.

Early days for Patterson, but certainly a promising start

Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:10 pm

Then

I thought Bennett got injured after we bought him but not 100% sure, but i do think he a good player keeps it simple and fairly solid, and worth a few bob as Fulham were prepared to pay good money for him, i am more and happy with him
As for Patterson early days but i am very impressed, the more he plays the better he will get and well worth the wait for him to recover from injury, :bluescarf: :ayatollah:

Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:15 pm

I like both players TBH and both were very good piece of business.

Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:54 am

Interesting that Malone is a regular for Hudds in the Premier and was constantly slated on these boards. I actually think Bennett is very similar and not great against a very fast, tricky winger. Jazz is a better all-round full-back and it'll be good to see him back.