Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

THE REASONS CITY CAN TAKE THE TITLE FROM THE WOLVES

Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:25 am

The reasons why Cardiff City can get even better and beat Wolves to the Championship title
By Dominic Booth

Tuesday 5th December 2017

Look out Wolves, Neil Warnock's Cardiff team have only just got started

Sometimes, being a football fan is about savouring the moment.

It's why Neil Warnock's steadfast desire through Cardiff City's remarkable run this season for fans, players and management to enjoy themselves makes great sense.

Bask in the glory of it all, he implores you. Remember the day the Bluebirds thrashed Aston Villa; never forget those sumptuous goals that sunk Leeds; cheer every kick and have no regrets at the end of the campaign, whatever happens. Promotion or not.

Yet there remains that germ of optimism — fantasy even — within every Cardiff supporter's free-running imagination. The 'what if' factor: what if Cardiff can actually get better?

Because, despite sitting second after defying all pundits' pre-season predictions , there is a coherent argument to suggest the Bluebirds can improve this term. They can win the damn thing.

These are the reasons why...

The return of Kenneth Zohore

If, in August, you had suggested the notion that Cardiff could storm into the automatic promotion spots with Kenneth Zohore injured for months, you'd have been laughed out of town.

The mere idea of Cardiff achieving anything substantial with the Great Dane on the sidelines appeared impossible, such was his importance at the back-end of last season.

In a streak of 11 goals in 11 games between January and April in 2016/17, Zohore announced himself in the English second tier. The 23-year-old had hitherto been a peripheral figure at Cardiff, destined for a loan move elsewhere until something clicked between him and Warnock.

He then became a powerful, pacy striker who put the frighteners up every Championship defence.

And when he started this season in similar ominous form, crashing home a late winner against Burton Albion, terrorising Aston Villa and bullying Wolves, Zohore's key role was reinforced.

But he's been injured since October 13, an Achilles injury meaning Danny Ward and Omar Bogle have been called upon to deputise.

And although the pair have performed admirably, netting seven goals between them to guide Cardiff to second, you feel Zohore's return could take Cardiff to a new level altogether. Warnock's expert management has ensured the Bluebirds' form hasn't suffered in Zohore's absence. But just imagine this in-form side with the Dane as its spearhead.

Home form shows no sign of relenting

Every time Cardiff have been posed a question at home this season, they have answered in emphatic fashion. First it was Queens Park Rangers, who dared to score first against the Bluebirds before being quickly dispatched with a double first-half salvo.

Then it was Sheffield Wednesday, who came to South Wales to boss the ball and enjoyed a myriad chances before Sol Bamab's injury time leveller.

Both Derby County and Millwall proved difficult to break down, but by the same token never really challenged the Cardiff goal — you win some, you draw some.

The latest examination came from Daniel Farke's enigmatic Norwich City, perhaps exposing some weary Cardiff legs when edging ahead last Friday night. But like the others they were promptly brushed aside as Warnock's man management skills yet again came to the fore.

You sense he simply won't allow Cardiff to be beaten on their home patch.

After 10 home games, Cardiff are the only Championship team to remain unbeaten at home. Yes, even the mighty Wolves have lost at Molineux. That was against Cardiff, by the way.

Evolution of Cardiff's full-backs

A variety of factors have meant that not once this season have Cardiff's two most attacking full backs — Callum Paterson and Joe Bennett — started a game in the left and right back positions together.

Paterson's pending return to his favoured spot was delayed, Nathaniel Mendez-Laing's injury meaning the Scot was shoehorned in at right wing instead. Lee Peltier replaced Bennett when the former Aston Villa man was stricken for a fortnight.

Since both have been fully fit, Bruno Manga has been the incumbent at right-back, giving a slightly lop-sided (and defensive feel) to the City back line at times.

There will be occasions later in the season, however, when Warnock feels confident enough to field his two overlapping marauders at the same time... and fans can anticipate an attacking onslaught from the Bluebirds when it happens.

Bennett has already formed an effective triangle with Junior Hoilett and Joe Ralls this term, and Paterson is clearly a forward-thinker.

It just takes Warnock to feel compelled to add another dimension to his team and Cardiff could be creating even more chances.

With Warnock's defence water-tight, scoring even more goals could be the catalyst in overtaking Wolves.

Forgotten men to play a part

Take a moment to empathise with Kadeem Harris. The winger, having enjoyed a breakthrough campaign last term, looked all set to take on a major role for Cardiff this season, having signed a bumper deal in the summer.

But lady luck can be a cruel mistress and Harris was a mere spectator to Mendez-Laing's astonishing early season heroics, like the rest of us. The 24-year-old is progressing nicely on the comeback trail, according to Warnock , but will be itching to play some part soon.

He need only look to Mendez-Laing and Hoilett for inspiration. There is undoubtedly a rapport between Harris and Warnock that means his return could be an influential one.

The same goes too for Wales international Jazz Richards, who could return to give Manga, Paterson, Bennett and Peltier a few headaches about their places.

Lee Camp was expected to be Cardiff's No.1 gloveman when he arrived in the summer. He's another who must feel desperate to come back and win a shirt.

To say all this bodes well would be a ludicrously modest understatement. There cannot be many teams to have coped so well with crucial injuries as Cardiff have this season.

Warnock, while pleading for a clean bill of Cardiff fitness, knows how to win this division and he knows what his squad is capable of achieving.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: THE REASONS CITY CAN TAKE THE TITLE FROM THE WOLVES

Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:59 am

It's going to be tuff but something will give in next couple of months! Their records are not far apart but I think city could have advantage in bouncability as not lost two games on the bounce, one thing is almost certain and that is both will be in playoffs baring a massive loss of form which looks very unlikely And don't discount villa! People who say league is not as strong need only take look at table even with our record so far we are only 6pnts from several clubs. :thumbup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:07 am

pembroke allan wrote:It's going to be tuff but something will give in next couple of months! Their records are not far apart but I think city could have advantage in bouncability as not lost two games on the bounce, one thing is almost certain and that is both will be in playoffs baring a massive loss of form which looks very unlikely And don't discount villa! People who say league is not as strong need only take look at table even with our record so far we are only 6pnts from several clubs. :thumbup:

Totally agree with you! :thumbright:

No one needs to be afraid of the big bad Wolves and I see an improving Villa (and their own canny manager) as our biggest threat this season

Wolves have had a good run (beating their own record for points after 20 Championship games) but they have some tough fixtures ahead and were somewhat lucky to beat struggling neighbours Birmingham last night

City have consistency this season and are tough to beat. Neil Warnock will demand that continues and it seems the team are on board. Those of us who have been on the top of our game (in any sport or sphere) will know the feeling of momentum when things are going right; it just all seems to fall into place naturally but is hard to get back once it has gone!

A great motto is: "If you think you can you maybe will; but if you that you can't you certainly won't" ;) :ayatollah:

Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:15 am

I think Wolves could fall apart over the next few weeks.
3 tough away games coming up and with the busy period over Christmas I don't think the little girly players they've signed will cope.

Hopefully a few injuries for them and they are stuffed!

Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:43 pm

It isnt there title yet!

Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:52 pm

1980s Bluebird wrote:It isnt there title yet!

It isn't their title because I confidently predict it will be OUR title. Cannot see anyone with a squad as good as ours. The Warnock factor plus the great team spirit will see us through. :bluescarf: :ayatollah: :bluebird:

Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:07 pm

TERRYB wrote:

It isn't their title because I confidently predict it will be OUR title. Cannot see anyone with a squad as good as ours. The Warnock factor plus the great team spirit will see us through. :bluescarf: :ayatollah: :bluebird:

I've rarely seen so many City fans be so positive at the same time! :thumbup: :clap:

Crowds will improve as the reality that we ARE genuine contenders bites after Christmas! :ayatollah:

Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:34 pm

Sven wrote:
TERRYB wrote:

I've rarely seen so many City fans be so positive at the same time! :thumbup: :clap:

Crowds will improve as the reality that we ARE genuine contenders bites after Christmas! :ayatollah:

I really hope so mate, hopefully our good run is now starting, all we have to do is keep winning to keep the gap, second place will suit me fine, cannot cope with a play off spot in case we have one of our Preston or Brum days!

I still think April is a key month for us when we have Sheff Utd, Wolves, Villa, Norwich and Forest, the first three being must win games for me.

:bluescarf:

Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:45 pm

Bet late on City to win the title and only got 14-1. Wish I bet a lot earlier and a lot more now! :ayatollah: :bluebird:

Think at 7-1 it is still a great price now! :ayatollah:

Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:57 pm

Wolves will canter to the title

but we have a great shout for second place :ayatollah:

Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:03 pm

We are in an excellent position for a top 2 place. It’s in our hands at the end of the day. We don’t need to chase wolves. What happens between us and then will take shape over the coming weeks. If we keep our form then its the guys chasing US with the pressure on them. If we beat wolves to top we get promoted. If we don’t - we still get promoted.

The chasing pack have to overhaul us both for promotion certainty.

Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:06 pm

paulh_85 wrote:Wolves will canter to the title

but we have a great shout for second place :ayatollah:

Sadly i agree think wolves with the money they've spent an quality they got in their side they will be very hard to beat to the title.we're in there fighting though just got to keep it going lads!

Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:30 pm

CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:I think Wolves could fall apart over the next few weeks.
3 tough away games coming up and with the busy period over Christmas I don't think the little girly players they've signed will cope.

If their Striker is out for a few moths that would make it really interesting, they are quite dependent on him at the moment!!

Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:38 pm

Bluebina wrote:
CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:I think Wolves could fall apart over the next few weeks.

If their Striker is out for a few moths that would make it really interesting, they are quite dependent on him at the moment!!

thought that about neves and theyll cope fine without him

Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:56 pm

Sven wrote:
TERRYB wrote:

Agree Chris, if we come out of Christmas in a similar position the belief will really kick in for many!

Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:19 pm

If they,just like us are top or second they will make sure they have what takes to get the job done as will we.Come the new year they will have 60pts or so and I can't see them feckin it up from there.As an owner you would have to have taken leave of your senses if you don't back your manager in jan when your team is top or second.I fully expect Mr Tan to back NW and give him whatever he needs.Without looking it up I think the teams top or second at the turn of the year go on in most cases to secure automatic promotion.These days I'm more interested in the gap between us and third.