Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Lee Tomlin on £28k a week?

Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:45 pm

Posh chairman Darragh MacAnthony made the suggestion during an impromptu question and answer session with fans:
He delivered some interesting revelations including an apparent attempt by Lee Tomlin to return to Posh last summer. “Lee contacted me and asked about coming back,” MacAnthony stated. “But his agent wanted him to stay in the Championship. We made the call to Bristol City, but it didn’t work out and Lee is now on £28k a week at Cardiff!”

Read more at: https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/spo ... -1-8275638

Re: Lee Tomlin on £28k a week?

Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:19 pm

NIGELNIGLE wrote:Posh chairman Darragh MacAnthony made the suggestion during an impromptu question and answer session with fans:
He delivered some interesting revelations including an apparent attempt by Lee Tomlin to return to Posh last summer. “Lee contacted me and asked about coming back,” MacAnthony stated. “But his agent wanted him to stay in the Championship. We made the call to Bristol City, but it didn’t work out and Lee is now on £28k a week at Cardiff!”

Cant see it myself, maybe it was at BC

Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:57 pm

The Peterborough chairman is full of shit.

Loves nothing better than acting the big 'I am'

Article also says we paid £2.9m when Warnock has told us it was half of that.

Bristol press trying to make out it was good business to sell him

Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:40 pm

Lawnmower wrote:The Peterborough chairman is full of shit.

Loves nothing better than acting the big 'I am'

Article also says we paid £2.9m when Warnock has told us it was half of that.

Bristol press trying to make out it was good business to sell him

Totally agree, it's highly unlikely we are paying him anywhere near £28k

Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:14 pm

Judging by our track record I think it’s nonsense. Why would we sign a player on 28k a week and let him warm the bench?? Usually we make those players train with the kids and maybe get a development game now and then before letting them leave on a free!

Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:05 am

It doesn't make any sense. He contacted them but his agent wanted them to stay in the Champ. Sounds like bullshit to me.

Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:09 am

Fake news again being digested and spouted by gullible people :laughing6:

Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:38 am

I'm just waiting for someone to blame Tan :lol:

Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:29 am

NIGELNIGLE wrote:Posh chairman Darragh MacAnthony made the suggestion during an impromptu question and answer session with fans:

Of course he's on that sort of money! Its the going rate for the player of his experience and ability.

He is probably on that, but we haven't needed to play him as the rest of the team are playing so well. Its always a gamble what you play top class players - most on here thought that he would be our best signing. Just because he's on that amount of money doesn't mean he automatically gets in the team. He's come on this season twice at home when we've been losing and each time we've achieved points - Sheffield Wednesday and Norwich. That already makes him worth the money imo.

Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:34 am

Sneggyblubird wrote:I'm just waiting for someone to blame Tan :lol:

Tans fault

Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:48 am

bluebird58 wrote:

Of course he's on that sort of money! Its the going rate for the player of his experience and ability.

He is probably on that, but we haven't needed to play him as the rest of the team are playing so well. Its always a gamble what you play top class players - most on here thought that he would be our best signing. Just because he's on that amount of money doesn't mean he automatically gets in the team. He's come on this season twice at home when we've been losing and each time we've achieved points - Sheffield Wednesday and Norwich. That already makes him worth the money imo.

Nothing surprises me anymore and Tomlin could be on such a daft amount.

However, were Bristol City paying him that much? I can't see them forking out £1.5mpa in wages on one player so if they weren't paying him that then why are we?

That said there is some confusion about how much we paid for him. The reported amount was £2.9m but NW insists it was only £1.5m. Is the reason for the discrepancy that the 'missing' £1.4m has been diverted towards Tomlin's wages?

Over a 3 year contract that could be enough to push LT's wages up towards the £28kpw mark but again the question is why did we need to pay him so much?

Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:51 am

CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:

Tans fault

Don't forget the 8 CEO's, 6 managers and the partridge in a pear tree :D

Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:09 am

its a heck of a lot of money, especially considering the amount hes been used so far this season.

it might be easier to digest if he had been out best player this season.

Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:30 pm

It'll be on chavvy Facewipe next :laughing6:

Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:23 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:

Tans fault

Don't forget the 8 CEO's, 6 managers and the partridge in a pear tree :D

:lol:

Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:24 pm

bluebird58 wrote:

However, were Bristol City paying him that much? I can't see them forking out £1.5mpa in wages on one player so if they weren't paying him that then why are we?

That said there is some confusion about how much we paid for him. The reported amount was £2.9m but NW insists it was only £1.5m. Is the reason for the discrepancy that the 'missing' £1.4m has been diverted towards Tomlin's wages?

Over a 3 year contract that could be enough to push LT's wages up towards the £28kpw mark but again the question is why did we need to pay him so much?

What Warnock said was that he had spent a NET 1.5 million on transfers. I take that to mean the fee for Tomlinson less the fees we got for Saadi and Huws gives us net outgpoings of 1.5 milion. The fee paid to Bristol for Tomlinson might well be 2.9 million. No idea what we are paying him per week but wouldn't rush to treat the reported figure as accurate.

Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:36 pm

Nemo wrote:
bluebird58 wrote:

What Warnock said was that he had spent a NET 1.5 million on transfers. I take that to mean the fee for Tomlinson less the fees we got for Saadi and Huws gives us net outgpoings of 1.5 milion. The fee paid to Bristol for Tomlinson might well be 2.9 million. No idea what we are paying him per week but wouldn't rush to treat the reported figure as accurate.

I saw the episode of Channel 5's Championship highlights where Colin Murray stated that Neil Warnock had phoned the show to correct them that the fee paid for Tomlin was £1.5m not the reported £2.9m. Also NW popped into Wez's Chip Shop/Café a few weeks back and told him the same the transfer fee was £1.5m.

Why it was reported @ £2.9m I don't know. There could be add on's based on promotion but it is unusual for additions to make up nearly 50% of the transfer fee. That's why I have speculated that the difference might have gone on LT's wages?