Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Cardiff City / German striker Dominick Drexler '

Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:12 am

Cardiff City interested in signing German striker Dominick Drexler - reports

Friday December 8th 2017

By Ian Mitchelmore

Reports suggest Aston Villa and Newcastle United are also interested in the German forward

Cardiff City are interested in securing the services of German striker Dominick Drexler from Holstein Kiel, according to reports.

The Bluebirds have been rocked by the news that star forward Kenneth Zohore is set to be out of action until the New Year while Rhys Healey is still recovering from the injury he suffered in Cardiff's 5-0 thrashing of Rotherham in February.

It has given summer signings Danny Ward and Omar Bogle the chance to shine in recent weeks, but reports from Germany claim Neil Warnock could still be keen to bolster his attacking options to sustain his side's promotion bid.

German media outlet Kicker have reported that the Bluebirds - along with Championship rivals Aston Villa - are both monitoring the striker while they also claim that Newcastle have watched the 27-year-old on numerous occasions.

Drexler has been in red-hot form for second division outfit Holsten Kiel so far this season, scoring 10 goals in all competitions to help fire his side to the top of the 2. Bundesliga standings.

The German started his professional career with Bayer Leverkusen and played for the club's reserve side during the 2009-10 campaign before joining FC Rot-Weiß Erfurt.

He spent three years with the 3. Liga side - scoring 16 times in 81 appearances for the club - before signing for SpVgg Greuther Fürth.

Drexler then had a two-year spell at WfR Aalen before joining current club Holstein Kiel in the summer of 2016.

Re: ' Cardiff City / German striker Dominick Drexler '

Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:16 am

We don't need another striker! I make it we have at least 5-6 in contention and only 1 can play...

Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:47 am

T1JMO wrote:We don't need another striker! I make it we have at least 5-6 in contention and only 1 can play...

do you really think that? Bogle looks good but how many will he get. Ward is very hit and miss.
I dont think we have any strikers who will get 15+ as Zohore is off doing xmas shopping.

We only need 2 players, another play maker like Tomlin and a striker.

Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:58 am

bluebird7291 wrote:
T1JMO wrote:We don't need another striker! I make it we have at least 5-6 in contention and only 1 can play...

do you really think that? Bogle looks good but how many will he get. Ward is very hit and miss.
I dont think we have any strikers who will get 15+ as Zohore is off doing xmas shopping.

You can easily turn that argument on it's head by saying how do you know Drexler would do any better? I agree with T1JMO we have enough strikers who are just getting into their stride. We don't need to undermine them by bringing in another unproven striker when the limited recourse we have could be better used else where.

Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:02 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
bluebird7291 wrote:

You can easily turn that argument on it's head by saying how do you know Drexler would do any better? I agree with T1JMO we have enough strikers who are just getting into their stride. We don't need to undermine them by bringing in another unproven striker when the limited recourse we have could be better used else where.

im not talking about Drexler himself, im just saying we need another striker. Although i forgot about Healey, i think he could do a job. I just think too much is left on Bogle's shoulders.

Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:05 am

Come on lads wake up. Where would you go if you were him. Villa huge club, Newcastle huge club or Cardiff small club. Wages huge.

Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:10 pm

Doesn’t really matter how many players we have in certain positions if the in coming player is better than we got it’s a no brainer.

Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:55 pm

To make certain of promotion the more strikers the better. I remember Newcastle going up as Champions one year and they were buying up all the strikers they could get their hands on.

Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:27 pm

Zohore, Ward, Bogle, Healey, Gounongbe - that's enough strikers for 1 position - even after getting rid of Pilkington!

The money would be better spent on midfield.

Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:33 pm

Rhys healey not good enough neither is gounoughbe. Ward hit and miss. Bogle still has alot to prive in my eyes so another striker be really good

Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:48 pm

Ward hit or miss?
He is on fire and so is Bogle .

Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:00 pm

I think Bogle will prove to be a better striker than Zohore. In my opinion he is more natural goal scorer than Zohore, and given the opportunity could easily be a 20 goal a season striker.

Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:01 pm

looking at this Drexler blokes career stats bit puzzled at the article/apparent interest tbh.

27 years old spent his whole career playing for teams prob worse than ourselves and scored 10 this year in bund 2 {4 pens }

made up article

Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:55 pm

ward is hit and miss. when hes good hes great, but many a time hes been ineffective. Either down to marked out the game or not playing to his strengthens.
i dont think hes a bad player though.
Bogle has been great though recently.

We only have really 3 strikers who are first team, Zohore, Ward and Bogle. But Zohore has been missing all season.

9/10 teams get promoted and a striker has 20 goals in them. i cant see that for any of ours.

Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:22 pm

bluebird7291 wrote:ward is hit and miss. when hes good hes great, but many a time hes been ineffective. Either down to marked out the game or not playing to his strengthens.

We only have really 3 strikers who are first team, Zohore, Ward and Bogle. But Zohore has been missing all season.

9/10 teams get promoted and a striker has 20 goals in them. i cant see that for any of ours.

last time we won the league by 8 points our top scorer had 8

Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:36 pm

bluebird7291 wrote:ward is hit and miss. when hes good hes great, but many a time hes been ineffective. Either down to marked out the game or not playing to his strengthens.

maybe ours would if they had more game time..?????
but neither ourselves or Hull won promotion with anyone near 20 goals..and i think you will find there is always a team promoted without one...last season Huddersfield went up with Kachunga top scorer on 12.

Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:23 pm

neilst wrote:Rhys healey not good enough neither is gounoughbe. Ward hit and miss. Bogle still has alot to prive in my eyes so another striker be really good

Agree with you .

Hoillet and NML chipping in with plenty of goals as well .

We need a midfielder enforcer

Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:49 pm

On one site he was called an attacking midfielder ,who can also play left-wing and striker.
I imagine Newcastle would be favourites to sign him.

Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:54 am

bluemun wrote:On one site he was called an attacking midfielder ,who can also play left-wing and striker.
I imagine Newcastle would be favourites to sign him.

winger makes a bit more sense than a striker whose career average is 1 goal in 5 mostly in the third tier of the german lge.

Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:59 pm

Flyingpostman wrote:
neilst wrote:Rhys healey not good enough neither is gounoughbe. Ward hit and miss. Bogle still has alot to prive in my eyes so another striker be really good

Agree with you .

Hoillet and NML chipping in with plenty of goals as well .

We need a midfielder enforcer

Only sensible post in this thread

We are and continue to be lightweight in midfield we have been very fortunate the last 4/5 games that teams haven't taken their chances as we have been outfought in midfield game after game we don't have a ball winner in there and unless he goes back to playing Jamba in the hole then we will continue to get over run and put unneeded pressure on the back four

Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:54 pm

Without a shadow of doubt we need another striker when you see the fire power of teams like wolves whether this Drexler is the guy is another matter

Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:03 pm

Vincent Man wrote:Ward hit or miss?
He is on fire and so is Bogle .

Both have fantastic goals per game ratio this season all considered