Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

DO YOU AGREE?/WE DONT NEED TO SPEND IN JAN SAYS

Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:25 pm

There's no need for Cardiff City to spend ANY money in January, unless Neil Warnock demands transfer funds Says NATHAN BLAKE

Thursday 14th December 2017

Is it time for Tomlin?

Why Reading was important and Lee Tomlin's time to shine

Cardiff City didn't play badly in the first half at Reading, they were just ever-so slightly off the pace. Their tempo of play wasn't right, they weren't closing down like normal, it was strange.

Whether the schedule is beginning to take its toll — and this is the time of year when the lactic acid really starts to build up, I call it 'hamstring season' — I'm not sure.

But it says so much about their confidence at the moment that they grew into the game and won the psychological battle. I have to say they were unfortunate to trail 2-0 in the first place.

When you've been winning, everyone wants the ball and that's where the comeback came from.

When the goal finally came from Joe Bennett to get Cardiff back in the game, the energy levels suddenly grew again.

It was the classic game when it was always going to take someone to grab the game by the scruff of the neck. There's a saying in football that goes 'don't wait for it to happen, make it happen'.

And thankfully this time, that man was Lee Tomlin.

I've always said there's a really good player there waiting for an opportunity. My only reservation with him is that he doesn't get enough goals.

Well, he didn't have to think about it at the Madejski. It just fell to him and he smashed it, after a great header by Sol Bamba ricocheted off the bar. Thank goodness for goal-line technology as well!

When you're in Tomlin's position and you're not playing, as a footballer, you need a moment to get back on the horse. For me, it wasn't just Tomlin's finish against Reading; it was what the goal meant, the timing and his reaction — which I thought was fantastic. He was like a kid opening a present on Christmas Day. He was buzzing. That made me feel, watching at home, this could be Tomlin's moment.

He'll go back into training and feel he's the main man again. He'll walk an inch or two higher, chest puffed out, and I believe he can kick on now. If you imagine Tomlin in a No.10 position behind Kenneth Zohore. Wow. That would be dynamite.

" January transfer funds not essential "

I've heard a few people saying that Vincent Tan needs to back Neil Warnock with big money in January, but I'm not sure that should be a priority.

But if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Fans tend to get very excited about the January window, they jump on the bandwagon thinking about the players their team might sign.

But Warnock's immense experience means business isn't a necessity. If he doesn't see anything worthwhile in the market, then let's trust his expertise — hopefully the lack of spending won't be because he's restricted by the purse strings.

Let's be fair, Warnock has probably trimmed a quarter or third from Cardiff's wage bill — as well as taking this team from the bottom of the Championship to the top. It's just genius.

I would simply pay homage to his brilliant management and say that spending money in January should only be done if Warnock demands it. If he sees a player who would really take this team onto the next level.

So let's not just go and give him £10million for the sake of it. I said that in the summer Cardiff should be spending £15million to challenge for promotion, but he brought in bargains instead, justifiably so.

If I was Vincent Tan and Ken Choo I'd be spending the money on a training facility, something for the longer-term rather than players.

Warnock has proven he doesn't need lots of money.

Re: DO YOU AGREE?/WE DONT NEED TO SPEND IN JAN SAYS

Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:42 pm

I disagree with Nathan Blake I think we need a keeper, Etheridge is ok but he does not seem to be the commanding, demanding, goalkeeper.

I think we need a midfield general. I would like to see Tomlin play free in front of Gunnars

Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:43 pm

I believe if everyone was fit which is obviously not the case ATM we would have no need to add to the squad however I believe we need to get a couple of quality signings in to help with second half push of the season :ayatollah: :bluescarf:

Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:44 pm

I think we need another striker and a playmaking midfielder ,if we get these we will win the league

Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:09 pm

wez1927 wrote:I think we need another striker and a playmaking midfielder ,if we get these we will win the league

OK who would fit your bill and improve on what we already have?

Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:13 pm

I think a fit Tomlin is the key for us.

wez1927 wrote:I think we need another striker and a playmaking midfielder ,if we get these we will win the league

Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:14 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:

No one and we don't need anyone.

Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:05 pm

Tan should give Warnock whatever he asks for in January. I don't think he'll ask for much but Tan should just leave him a book of signed cheques and trust him for what he's achieved so far. Already nailed on for Manager of the Year in my opinion.

Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:29 pm

A proven goal scorer at this level is what we need.

Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:34 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:

Frazer Campbell :lol:

Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:34 pm

theclaw wrote:A proven goal scorer at this level is what we need.

Totally agree

Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:30 pm

I agree with blakey here. Tomlin and zohore up top could be dynamite

Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:51 pm

Our goalie has been fantastic. He has made so many crucial saves game after game. His kicking is not the best but that can be worked on. Marshall was crap at kicking too remember.Best keeper we have had for a good while.

Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:01 am

Any team in with a chance of going up needs to add new faces to the squad - it adds team challenges to places .

Along with a direction to the end goal .

Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:41 am

1980s Bluebird wrote:I disagree with Nathan Blake I think we need a keeper, Etheridge is ok but he does not seem to be the commanding, demanding, goalkeeper.

I think we need a midfield general. I would like to see Tomlin play free in front of Gunnars

I couldn't disagree with you more. Etheridge is doing a very good job overall and he is getting better and better. Plus, we have Camp returning to full fitness soon as well. So we don't need a new 'keeper.

Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:59 am

Sorry disagree with Blakey definately need a striker,we're lucky at the moment that the goals are coming throughout the team but we can't rely on that alone,a proven goal scorer please to terrorise their defences and bump up that goal difference.

Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:08 am

TopCat CCFC wrote:Any team in with a chance of going up needs to add new faces to the squad - it adds team challenges to places .

Good point fella a few new faces bit more quality will do no harm at all

Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:20 am

TopCat CCFC wrote:Any team in with a chance of going up needs to add new faces to the squad - it adds team challenges to places .

Spot on Tony :thumbright: :bluebird: