MATCH THREAD “ CARDIFF CITY v SUNDERLAND “ MATCH THREAD

A forum for all things Cardiff City

What will the result of Cardiff City v Sunderland be?

Poll ended at Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:00 pm

Cardiff City win
68%
Sunderland win
8%
Draw
24%

Total votes : 38

Postby worcester_ccfc » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:00 pm

CARDIFF CITY v SUNDERLAND
Saturday 13th January, 12.30pm
SkyBet Championship
Cardiff City Stadium

Cardiff City team
Etheridge, Richards, Morrison, Manga, Bamba, Bennett; Paterson, Ralls; Hoilett, Mendez-Laing Zohore

Subs: Murphy, Halford, Tomlin, Feeney, Damour, Feeney, Wilschut, Pilkington

Pay on Day :thumbright: :bluebird:

With Cardiff Now having 14,500 season ticket holders including all the New Half-Season Tickets, City should now see a Surge in Crowds as its now The New Year :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Approx 900 Sunderland Fans have travelled.

12:30pm / Live on Sky / Bottom of the Championship & over 620 mile round trip :thumbright:

12/01/18

Will Wildschut be available to face Sunderland? Yes :thumbright: :thumbright:

NEIL WARNOCK:

"Wildschut will be in the squad if he lands at Cardiff in the fog!” :thumbright: :lol: :bluebird:

Zohore is fit :thumbright:

Morrison likely to start.

Joe Ralls, Sol Bamba and Bennett are all in contention to feature against Sunderland.

Kadeem Harris and Craig Bryson are training, but are unlikely to be involved against Sunderland.

The latest injury news from Neil Warnock

NEIL WARNOCK:

"I’d like to say injuries are improving but I don’t think it’s much different to last week. Bryson and Kadeem are training but it’s probably a bit too soon, but longer terms like Peltier, Matt Connolly, Aron Gunnarsson have no chance. We’ve got to get on with what we’ve got. The good thing is the illness has gone out of the camp, Rallsy, Bamba and Bennett - who was a bit below last week even though he played - are all firing again so at least we have a few more options.”

Sunderland Injury News:

Lamine Kone and Didier Ndong have both returned to training, although the duo are not expected to be available for the game in South Wales.

Wales international Jonny Williams is set to return to training next week following a lengthy lay-off due to a shoulder injury, although he will also miss the game in his homeland.

But the big positive for Chris Coleman’s side is that new signing Jake Clarke-Salter is in contention to feature against the Bluebirds.

E9381EB7-2D15-4FE0-883F-97988E09D522.jpeg
E9381EB7-2D15-4FE0-883F-97988E09D522.jpeg (153.05 KiB) Viewed 4873 times

" About Sunderland "

Sunderland Association Football Club is an English professional football club based in the city of Sunderland, Tyne and Wear. Sunderland currently plays in the EFL Championship, the second tier of English football. Since its formation in 1879, the club has won six top-flight (First Division, now the Premier League) titles (1892, 1893, 1895, 1902, 1913 and 1936), a total only bettered by five other clubs, and has finished runners-up five times. The club has also won the FA Cup twice (1937 and 1973) and been runners-up twice (1913 and 1992), as well as winning the FA Community Shield in 1936 and being finalists the following year. Sunderland have also been Football League Cup finalists in 1985 and 2014.

Sunderland won their first FA Cup in 1937 with a 3–1 victory over Preston North End, and remained in the top league for 68 successive seasons until they were relegated for the first time in 1958. Sunderland's most notable trophy after the Second World War was their second FA Cup in 1973, when the club secured a 1–0 victory over Leeds United. The team has won the second tier title five times in that period and the third tier title once.

Sunderland play their home games at the 49,000-capacity all-seater Stadium of Light having moved from Roker Park in 1997. The original ground capacity was 42,000 which was increased to 49,000 following expansion in 2000. Sunderland have a long-standing rivalry with their neighbouring club Newcastle United, with whom they have contested the Tyne–Wear derby since 1898.

Team News - Predicted Line-Ups

Cardiff City: Etheridge, Peltier, Manga, Connolly, Bennett, Bamba, Ralls, Paterson, Hoilett, Healey, Zohore

Sunderland: Steele, Jones, Browning, O'Shea, Wilson, Oviedo, Honeyman, Love, Robson, McManaman, Maja

I can't get to the match, can I watch it live?

Yes, the match is live on Sky Sports.

Previous Meeting

We went to Sunderland back in September and won 2-1 thanks to Craig Bryson and Joe Ralls goals, either side of Lynden Gooch's goal for the hosts.

Form - Last Three Games

Cardiff City 0-0 Mansfield Town
Queens Park Rangers 2-1 Cardiff City
Cardiff City 0-1 Preston North End

Middlesbrough 2-0 Sunderland
Sunderland 0-1 Barnsley
Nottingham Forest 0-1 Sunderland

Match Odds

Cardiff City - 4/5
Sunderland - 7/2
Draw - 5/2

Predictions

Post your predictions below :thumbright:

Don't forget to vote for your Man of the Match after the game. That poll will be posted on this forum at full time :thumbright:
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: LATEST NEWS “ CARDIFF CITY v SUNDERLAND “ MATCH THREAD

Postby brickyblue » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:11 pm

Got to bounce back at some point 2-0 city
brickyblue

Postby thomasblue » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:50 am

If we had rested most first teamers yesterday i would have gone for a tight 1-0 win.

If we get a proven striker in before saturday then we will win this game.

Given we played pretty much a full team, our strikers are badly off form and now have 3 games in a week next week i will go for a draw.
thomasblue

Postby Forever Blue » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:09 am

Pay on Day :thumbright: :bluebird:

With Cardiff Now having 14,500 season ticket holders including all the New Half-Season Tickets, City should now see a Surge in Crowds as its now The New Year :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Forever Blue » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:10 am

Back to winning ways for City :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby 1980s Bluebird » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:07 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Back to winning ways for City :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

I hope so but at this moment in time I just cannot see it especially if we play like we have been playing and Sunderland with the JB at the helm will definitely be targeting this as an away win for them.
1980s Bluebird

Postby Jasonccfc » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:28 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Pay on Day :thumbright: :bluebird:

worcester just said exactly the same thing :shock:
Jasonccfc

Postby Rydogsccfc » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:41 pm

3-1 City win. :thumbright: :ayatollah:
On 13th December 2016 one man stood up to be counted against a pack of Wolves his name was Kenneth Zohore.
Rydogsccfc

Postby Jasonccfc » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:42 pm

2.0 city
Jasonccfc

Postby adamt958 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:23 am

Sunderland had sold 286 tickets as of last Saturday.
"It's Andy Campbell, it's in!" "Up,up and away to division one!"
adamt958

Postby 1980s Bluebird » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:33 am

I am quite looking forward to this one as Sunderland was my first fixture in the 77/78 season when I was 11, went with a mate called Mark Pippin from Cathays won 5-2 and first time seen John Buchanan play at Ninian Park.

Really happy memory and first time I had seen football fans battering each other :shock: and didnt know why :bluescarf: :ayatollah: :bluebird:
1980s Bluebird

Postby Forever Blue » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:03 pm

adamt958 wrote:Sunderland had sold 286 tickets as of last Saturday.

Cheers Adam, I expect them to bring about 800 fans.

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby CF31 Company » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:07 pm

Sunderland will come out all guns blazing and take an early lead we will respond and score 3 :bluebird:

What would be good after this is to play hit the road Jack. I used to love Colemans face when this was played at NP after beating Coventry! More political correctness gone mad no doubt?? :roll:
CF31 Company

Postby 1980s Bluebird » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:50 pm

CF31 Company wrote:Sunderland will come out all guns blazing and take an early lead we will respond and score 3 :bluebird:

What would be good after this is to play hit the road Jack. I used to love Colemans face when this was played at NP after beating Coventry! More political correctness gone mad no doubt?? :roll:

That would be cool but I think he may get a warm welcome from the City faithful. I certainly will give him a you JB but in good humour and I am sure he will take it as that as well.
1980s Bluebird

Postby Danny Says » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:03 pm

1980s Bluebird wrote:I am quite looking forward to this one as Sunderland was my first fixture in the 77/78 season when I was 11, went with a mate called Mark Pippin from Cathays won 5-2 and first time seen John Buchanan play at Ninian Park.

Really happy memory and first time I had seen football fans battering each other :shock: and didnt know why :bluescarf: :ayatollah: :bluebird:

Recall that game. 2 from John Buchanan, 2 from Paul Went and one from Ray Bishop. :bluescarf:

Remember watching MOD that night and it was announced all City players were put up for sale after that game!

Coincidentally the next game City played was away at ..........................Mansfield :roll:
Danny Says

Postby adamt958 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:56 am

Forever Blue wrote:
adamt958 wrote:Sunderland had sold 286 tickets as of last Saturday.

Cheers Adam, I expect them to bring about 800 fans.

Updated according to twitter they have sold 591 tickets as of this morning, which is exceptional, live on TV, 12:30 KO when they are one of the worst sides in the championship and some of their supporters coaches are setting off between midnight and 2am.
"It's Andy Campbell, it's in!" "Up,up and away to division one!"
adamt958

Postby Forever Blue » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:51 pm

Why Cardiff City need to show the rest of the league they mean business by beating rock-bottom Sunderland?

By Jamie Kemble

Tuesday 9th Jan 2018

The Bluebirds are without a win in five matches in all competitions and need to show a statement of intent to the rest of the league following their poor form over the festive period.

Neil Warnock’s side host rock-bottom Sunderland on Saturday afternoon and a win could help them kick on going forward in the league.

But it’s alright winning, what the Bluebirds need to do is show they mean real business in the Championship this season by beating a Black Cats side who are rooted to the bottom of the Championship and are currently deprived of any sort of confidence.

Even under the influence of former Wales manager Chris Coleman, Sunderland are struggling to move up the Championship table, and two straight relegations could well be on the cards for the Black Cats come the end of the season.

Coleman guided Wales to a European Championship semi-final in 2016, but has struggled since taking over from the reins of Simon Grayson since taking the Sunderland job, and has won just three games since taking charge.

It must be noted, though, when he took over the job, Sunderland looked doomed, but under Coleman they have shown some sort of life that they will fight to stay in the Championship in recent weeks.

Given his Swansea links, he’ll want to put one over on Cardiff on Saturday afternoon, and they’ll look to stifle and frustrate the Bluebirds in the Welsh Capital.

Cardiff need to become more ruthless in front of goal. Warnock even admitted his frustrations after they failed to score in their latest encounter, as they were held to a stalemate against league two opposition Mansfield in the FA Cup third round.

With the likes of Kenneth Zohore and Lee Tomlin in their squad, Cardiff have more than enough quality to see off the Black Cats, there is little doubt about that, but they have been goal-shy in recent weeks and this is cause for concern for the Bluebirds manager.

What the Bluebirds need to do, is find that form which they showed at the start of the season, where they were seemingly taking teams apart with ease, and had a real confidence about the nature in which they played.

Nathaniel Mendez-Laing in particular has lacked that cutting edge in recent weeks, and almost looks scared to take on defenders.

There is a huge contrast between his form now and at the start of the season, when he was being lauded as one of the ‘signings of the summer’ following his fine form in-front of goal, when the winger scored five times in four games for the Bluebirds.

Cardiff have seemed to have lost that winning mentality over the last month or so, and endured a torrid festive period.

A game against Sunderland could be the perfect solution to put an end to their miserable form and show the rest of the league that they do mean business this season, and why they should be a force to be reckoned with.

If the Bluebirds have any plans of going up to the Premier League this season, a game against Sunderland is one they should be winning, and they should look to pile more misery on the Black Cats in front of the home faithful on Saturday afternoon.
Attachments
640px-Cardiff_City_Stadium_Pitch.jpg
640px-Cardiff_City_Stadium_Pitch.jpg (51.8 KiB) Viewed 3527 times

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Forever Blue » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:13 am

Sunderland injury news 11/01/18

The Bluebirds’ injury crisis has been well documented, although Sean Morrison and Jazz Richards looks set to be available for this weekend having returned from their respective injuries against Mansfield last weekend.

As far as the Black Cats are concerned, Lamine Kone and Didier Ndong have both returned to training, although the duo are not expected to be available for the game in South Wales.

Wales international Jonny Williams is set to return to training next week following a lengthy lay-off due to a shoulder injury, although he will also miss the game in his homeland.

But the big positive for Chris Coleman’s side is that new signing Jake Clarke-Salter is in contention to feature against the Bluebirds.
Attachments
GettyImages-876247842.jpg
GettyImages-876247842.jpg (48.88 KiB) Viewed 3215 times

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby droyal » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:20 pm

2-1 CITY :thumbup:
droyal

Postby Plymuff Bloobird » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:53 am

Bottom and on Sky,doesn't bode well.
Having said that I predict a steady 2-0 City victory with a goal each half,and don't we need it.
Plymuff Bloobird

Postby ae15 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:08 am

Murphy
Richards Morrison Bamba Bennett
Damour Ralls Bryson
Mendez-Laing Zohore Hoilett

Will say 1-0 City :thumbup: :ayatollah:

(Sneaky suspicion of a Sunderland 1-0 tbh but let's exude confidence)
ae15

Postby ae15 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:16 am

ae15 wrote:Murphy
Damour Ralls Bryson

No scrap that Healey for Bryson. Forgot Healey for a second.
ae15

Postby Dahboy » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:50 am

ae15 wrote:
Damour Ralls Bryson

Healey just don't cut it for me at this level anyone else feel the same?
Dahboy

Postby ae15 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:15 am

Dahboy wrote:
ae15 wrote:
Damour Ralls Bryson

Healey just don't cut it for me at this level anyone else feel the same?

Didn't see him against Mansfield, but he was very lively against QPR and when he came on against Preston. Not sure you can make too many judgements at the moment, especially as he's come back from such a bad injury.
ae15

Postby Forever Blue » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:33 am

Cardiff City v Sunderland stats

Cardiff have not done a Football League double over Sunderland since the 1970/71 season – the Bluebirds won 2-1 at the Stadium of Light earlier this campaign.

Sunderland have won two of their last three away league trips to Cardiff (D1), with this their first Championship visit there since March 2007, a 1-0 win via a Ross Wallace goal.

Neil Warnock has lost four of his five home league matches as manager against Sunderland – he won the other in September 2004 as Sheffield United boss.

Welshman Chris Coleman has managed eight Football League matches against Welsh sides and won none (D3 L5), with this his first since a 2-1 defeat to Cardiff in March 2010 as Coventry manager.

Cardiff have lost their last four league matches, which is Warnock’s worst run as a manager since January 2009 when he was Crystal Palace boss (also a run of four) – he hasn’t lost five consecutively since August 1995 (one with Huddersfield, four with Plymouth).

The Black Cats have kept clean sheets in three of their last four away league games – as many as in their previous 40 combined; they haven’t won back to back away league games without conceding since March 2007, with the second of those wins coming against Cardiff.

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Danny Says » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:53 am

Remember the last time this fixture was on sky?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pO2YcgUHPzY

All Theopile-Catherine had to do was kick it into touch :banghead:
Danny Says

Postby Forever Blue » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:42 am

NEIL WARNOCK:

"I’d like to say injuries are improving but I don’t think it’s much different to last week. Bryson and Kadeem are training but it’s probably a bit too soon, but longer terms like Peltier, Matt Connolly, Aron Gunnarsson have no chance. We’ve got to get on with what we’ve got. The good thing is the illness has gone out of the camp, Rallsy, Bamba and Bennett - who was a bit below last week even though he played - are all firing again so at least we have a few more options.”

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Forever Blue » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:03 am

Will Wildschut be available to face Sunderland?

NEIL WARNOCK:

"Wildschut will be in the squad if he lands at Cardiff in the fog!” :thumbright: :lol: :bluebird:
Attachments
GettyImages-649311780-2.jpg
GettyImages-649311780-2.jpg (22.7 KiB) Viewed 2777 times

Forever Blue
Admin

Re: TEAM NEWS “ CARDIFF CITY v SUNDERLAND “ MATCH THREAD

Postby Forever Blue » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:30 pm

12/01/18

Will Wildschut be available to face Sunderland? Yes :thumbright: :thumbright:

NEIL WARNOCK:

Zohore is fit :thumbright:

Joe Ralls, Sol Bamba and Bennett are all in contention to feature against Sunderland.

Kadeem Harris and Craig Bryson are training, but are unlikely to be involved against Sunderland.

NEIL WARNOCK:

Forever Blue
Admin

Re: TEAM NEWS “ CARDIFF CITY v SUNDERLAND “ MATCH THREAD

Postby Forever Blue » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:20 am

Cardiff City meet struggling Sunderland in the Championship's early kick off, as Neil Warnock's men seek to end their four-match losing streak:

Cardiff have not done a Football League double over Sunderland since the 1970/71 season – the Bluebirds won 2-1 at the Stadium of Light earlier this term

Sunderland have won two of their last three away league trips to Cardiff (D1), with this their first Championship visit there since March 2007, a 1-0 win via a Ross Wallace goal.

Warnock has lost four of his five home league matches as manager against Sunderland – he won the other in September 2004 as Sheffield United boss.

Welshman Chris Coleman has managed eight Football League matches against Welsh sides and won none (D3 L5), with this his first since a 2-1 defeat to Cardiff in March 2010 as Coventry manager

Cardiff have lost their last four league matches, which is Warnock’s worst run as a manager since January 2009 when he was Crystal Palace boss (also a run of four) – he hasn’t lost five consecutively since August 1995 (one with Huddersfield, four with Plymouth).

Forever Blue
Admin

Next

Return to General Chat