Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

“ GARY MADINE “

Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:23 am

Cardiff City interested in Bolton Wanderers striker Gary Madine

By Ian Mitchelmore

Monday 8th Jan 2018

Madine has been in red-hot form for the Trotters this season and has also attracted interest from Sunderland

Cardiff City are interested in bringing Bolton striker Gary Madine to South Wales during the January transfer window.

Danny Ward remains sidelined having undergone knee surgery while Kenneth Zohore, Rhys Healey, and Omar Bogle have all had injury problems in the 2017-18 campaign.

understands that Neil Warnock could turn to Bolton hitman Madine in a bid to bolster his side's attacking options to get the Bluebirds' promotion bid back on track following a miserable festive period.

Madine - who was left out of Bolton's squad for their FA Cup third round clash with Huddersfield Town on Saturday - has netted nine times in the Championship so far this term, including the opener from the penalty spot in the Trotters' 2-0 win against Cardiff in December.

The asking price could potentially prove to be a stumbling block given that Madine - who has been involved in 58% of his side's league goals in the 2017-18 campaign so far - put pen to paper on a new deal last summer to remain with Bolton until 2019.

And manager Phil Parkinson is understandably reluctant to sell his prized asset who will be crucial in the Trotters' bid to beat the drop from the Championship this season.

Speaking after his side's 1-0 win over Hull City at the Macron Stadium on New Year's Day, Parkinson said: "I have been told I will be keeping my best players.

"We have to strengthen, we can’t even think about letting players like Gaz go in this window."

Bolton's Gary Madine scored against Cardiff City

The 27-year-old started his career with Carlisle United and joined Sheffield Wednesday in 2011 after loan spells with Rochdale, Coventry City and Chesterfield.

He has been with Bolton since 2015, scoring a total of 25 goals in 105 appearances in all competitions.

Re: “ GARY MADINE “

Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:01 am

Be a great signing on form atm

Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:02 am

hope not. average at best.

Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:06 am

They wont let him go.

Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:50 am

Not for me, 1st good season in years. Was garbage for Sheff Wed. Scraping the barrell with him, just cos he played well against us the other week

Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:52 am

Bluesman wrote:They wont let him go.

Swap for Pilks ?

Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:20 am

CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:
Bluesman wrote:They wont let him go.

Swap for Pilks ?

That would seem more sensible and likely.

Madine isn't a world beater but probably gives us more than Pilks who just doesn't seem part of Warnock's plans. However, I would see Madine more of a back up so can't see us spending too much on him.

Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:40 am

Why are we going for shit players we should be going for lewis grabban and adam clayton or charlie adam

Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:43 am

Kenbird1983 wrote:Why are we going for shit players we should be going for lewis grabban and adam clayton or charlie adam

Cause we're skint :D

Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:57 am

Kenbird1983 wrote:Why are we going for shit players we should be going for lewis grabban and adam clayton or charlie adam

FFP simple. If we have a stadium which holds over 30K fans. and we are half filling it. how can you think we have afford to hand out 30/40K a week to players?

Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:59 am

We got 4 mill to spend cos we only spent 1.5 on tomlin

Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:01 pm

Kenbird1983 wrote:We got 4 mill to spend cos we only spent 1.5 on tomlin

there's alot more too it than that. No one knew our original budget, Warnock said he'd have liked around 6M.
Plus like i said FFP, if we are making a loss every week we cannot afford to pay for any players. Like Bolton are doing, all freebies etc.

Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:09 pm

So thats how it works i was wondering that well if we get clayton on loan then maybe get a striker in

Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:09 pm

So thats how it works i was wondering that well if we get clayton on loan then maybe get a striker in

Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:10 pm

Kenbird1983 wrote:So thats how it works i was wondering that well if we get clayton on loan then maybe get a striker in

Wages has to come out of any budgets we have too :thumbright:

Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:11 pm

im sure he will have money to spend, but how much i dont know.

Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:15 pm

bluebird7291 wrote:
Kenbird1983 wrote:We got 4 mill to spend cos we only spent 1.5 on tomlin

there's alot more too it than that. No one knew our original budget, Warnock said he'd have liked around 6M.
Plus like i said FFP, if we are making a loss every week we cannot afford to pay for any players. Like Bolton are doing, all freebies etc.

True we don't know the full budget but we did make unexpected sales with Saddi and Huws which brought in a small amount of income (est. £2m)

We have also removed a number from the wage budget with the above 2 plus Ben Wilson Matthew Kennedy Declan John and Stuart O'Keefe who went on loan.

So it could be that we have more leeway than we think, although probably not :lol:

Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:35 pm

Remember transfer payment are stagged payments and no all in one go up front so we could pay 6 m for someone but over 3 years wolves are doing this now that's how they are beating ffp

Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:37 pm

wez1927 wrote:Remember transfer payment are stagged payments and no all in one go up front so we could pay 6 m for someone but over 3 years wolves are doing this now that's how they are beating ffp

This didn't even cross my mind Wez :banghead: :thumbright:

Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:41 pm

Oh god no! I really hope we have better ambition than this! If this is where we are at, then forget top 6.
I understand FFP etc but we have to do better than this!
Sorry to be negative. :bluebird:

Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:16 pm

wez1927 wrote:Remember transfer payment are stagged payments and no all in one go up front so we could pay 6 m for someone but over 3 years wolves are doing this now that's how they are beating ffp

Is there any reason we cannot do that or is it just down to VT does not want to spend any money?

Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:20 pm

No thanks, our expectations should be higher, he blows hot and cold, wasn't he also done for assault a few years back, did time for it in the nick?

Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:33 pm

Wolfpac wrote:No thanks, our expectations should be higher, he blows hot and cold, wasn't he also done for assault a few years back, did time for it in the nick?

Yes he did, he’s got a few GBH/ABH against him. Not a professional I’d expect Warnock to be interested in.

Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:06 pm

Bluebird-in-Jackland wrote:
Wolfpac wrote:No thanks, our expectations should be higher, he blows hot and cold, wasn't he also done for assault a few years back, did time for it in the nick?

Yes he did, he’s got a few GBH/ABH against him. Not a professional I’d expect Warnock to be interested in.

You do realise we've got Lee Tomlin right? :banghead:

Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:15 pm

1980s Bluebird wrote:

Is there any reason we cannot do that or is it just down to VT does not want to spend any money?
we do it now but it depends how close we get to ffp,its very common in transfers from European clubs to do it this way

Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:38 pm

Bluebird-in-Jackland wrote:

You do realise we've got Lee Tomlin right? :banghead:

I was quite impressed by the Midfielder (7) for Mansfield, about 3ft 5 but he was everywhere getting stuck in, Alexander I think it was, maybe wrong but was a little dynamo running around and causing a bit of chaos.