Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

This u23 squad !

Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:19 pm

Why are we signing players of 20 years of age wouldn't it be better to bring our own players through from youth ?

Re: This u23 squad !

Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:24 pm

wez1927 wrote:Why are we signing players of 20 years of age wouldn't it be better to bring our own players through from youth ?

Totally agree Wez :thumbright: :thumbright:

For 8 years now we have virtually achieved nothing with our Accademy, not planned anything for the future :shock:

We need to finally start bringing local talent through :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:25 pm

wez1927 wrote:Why are we signing players of 20 years of age wouldn't it be better to bring our own players through from youth ?

Think it may be a halfway salution as doesn't seem to be anyone ready to progress to u23 from junior side? Sounds like this one is almost ready for 1st team action so cheap at least. :old:

Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:42 pm

Warnock mentioned this a few months ago...as we have virtually no one in the 18-21 age group pushing for a 1st team place, it was decided that we would go out and recruit 3/4 nineteen/twenty year olds recommended to Warnock/Bellamy and hope 1 or 2 of them turn out to be ready for the 1st team next year

A sad indictment of our academy that we have produced nothing of 1st quality for many years

Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:45 pm

oohahhPaulMillar wrote:Warnock mentioned this a few months ago...as we have virtually no one in the 18-21 age group pushing for a 1st team place, it was decided that we would go out and recruit 3/4 nineteen/twenty year olds recommended to Warnock/Bellamy and hope 1 or 2 of them turn out to be ready for the 1st team next year

A sad indictment of our academy that we have produced nothing of 1st quality for many years

Bellamy No longer anything to do with DVP, has not been for a long time.

Just pops in to look at the Academy players.

Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:46 pm

oohahhPaulMillar wrote:Warnock mentioned this a few months ago...as we have virtually no one in the 18-21 age group pushing for a 1st team place, it was decided that we would go out and recruit 3/4 nineteen/twenty year olds recommended to Warnock/Bellamy and hope 1 or 2 of them turn out to be ready for the 1st team next year

We are not only club in that situation even premier clubs have same problems . Trouble is football is success driven with no time to nurture youngsters except outstanding talent who are few and far between. :thumbup:

Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:48 pm

It doesn't mean we're not still chasing targets. They are investments where we are thin and lacking any quality in our youth team.

Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:48 pm

Could it be that there just isn’t enough talent to sign in the area.

Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:51 pm

You’ve also got to remember if the talent isn’t there locally you’ve got to get the best about. Difference is with The FA they splash a lot more cash out on grass roots facilities - still lacking in Wales

Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:00 pm

pembroke allan wrote:

We are not only club in that situation even premier clubs have same problems . Trouble is football is success driven with no time to nurture youngsters except outstanding talent who are few and far between. :thumbup:

Totally agree but a club of our size should ring fence funding for the academy as it is the best way of bringing much need finance into the club by developing and selling players like we did under Sam Hammam's reign.

Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:08 pm

salopiancity wrote:Could it be that there just isn’t enough talent to sign in the area.

unfortunately i believe this is the case..if it was all aboot facilities and money poorer countries just wouldnt be producing anyone..yes it helps but you have to have the talent to start with.

Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:23 pm

dogfound wrote:
salopiancity wrote:Could it be that there just isn’t enough talent to sign in the area.

unfortunately i believe this is the case..if it was all aboot facilities and money poorer countries just wouldnt be producing anyone..yes it helps but you have to have the talent to start with.

Haven't we got 3 house of sports to help talent in community or are they just sitting there doing nothing along with our huge tent? :old:

Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:01 pm

How can you bring talent through the local parts around us when their p*ss poor and not good enough?

Let's not paint this picture we have a ray of talent that we are building ourselves, we haven't.

What's wrong with poaching young players that ain't getting a break elsewhere that we could possibly develop?

Joe Ralls, who I am not a huge fan of made the grade through that way.

Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:10 pm

DandoCCFC wrote:How can you bring talent through the local parts around us when their p*ss poor and not good enough?

Let's not paint this picture we have a ray of talent that we are building ourselves, we haven't.

What's wrong with poaching young players that ain't getting a break elsewhere that we could possibly develop?

15 16 17 year olds but 20 plus ? Surely 8f they were good enough they would be first teamers else where ?

Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:18 pm

wez1927 wrote:
DandoCCFC wrote:How can you bring talent through the local parts around us when their p*ss poor and not good enough?

15 16 17 year olds but 20 plus ? Surely 8f they were good enough they would be first teamers else where ?

Imo I think that's what NW is trying to do with bringing a few in at their age. More chance of them getting into the first team than what we had.

Should give 18 yr olds and under a chance to prove their worth. It's a pity but we all know it's a results oriented business.

Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:47 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
dogfound wrote:

Haven't we got 3 house of sports to help talent in community or are they just sitting there doing nothing along with our huge tent? :old:

yes we have and no they are not just sitting there, but if the talent isnt at a certain level you will not produce for the 1st team..

Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:04 pm

I mentioned this recently, Warnock was underwhelmed, it’s ok saying bring youth through but they need to be able to offer something

Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:07 pm

when there is good talent they are normally taken by Man city man u Liverpool or Chelsea we cannot compete with them

Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:06 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Totally agree but a club of our size should ring fence funding for the academy as it is the best way of bringing much need finance into the club by developing and selling players like we did under Sam Hammam's reign.

thing is, when we did have that golden period the facilities were not a quarter as good or was there nearly the amount being spent on the academy as there is now..i just dont think we live in a hotbed of football talent and apart from short periods have always produced very little in way of top end players..had we ,our national side would have been better..?

Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:07 am

Forest getting praise in media for their academy after beating Arsenal, made me wonder where all the young football talent in South Wales has gone because the Jacks haven’t produced any young players recently either?

Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:24 am

billy ronson wrote:Forest getting praise in media for their academy after beating Arsenal, made me wonder where all the young football talent in South Wales has gone because the Jacks haven’t produced any young players recently either?

Agree maybe the Scouts are not picking them up ?

Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:04 am

billy ronson wrote:Forest getting praise in media for their academy after beating Arsenal, made me wonder where all the young football talent in South Wales has gone because the Jacks haven’t produced any young players recently either?

They had 3 players starting that came through the youth ranks, and Brereton was signed as a 16/17 year old.

Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:23 am

Having watched a few local games Neath and District league, there is some fine talent out there that just needs the chance, why we go looking around England I do not know, maybe for one or two yes but there are some cracking little players on parks football who with the right guidance could make it.

I think the scouts like the warm little places rather than standing on the side of a wind swept pissing down with rain pitch in Upper Cwmtwrch or Pontcanna watching good young talent.

Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:23 am

The house of sports are used from U10 upwards. But the problem is short term they dont have the local talent. There has been a gap.
But we will see how some of the younger players turn out. But still too young to judge really

Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:24 am

Forever Blue wrote:

Totally agree Wez :thumbright: :thumbright:

For 8 years now we have virtually achieved nothing with our Accademy, not planned anything for the future :shock:

We need to finally start bringing local talent through :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Wasn't Mr Bellamy supposed to be doing this?? Could be wrong

Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:27 am

1980s Bluebird wrote:Having watched a few local games Neath and District league, there is some fine talent out there that just needs the chance, why we go looking around England I do not know, maybe for one or two yes but there are some cracking little players on parks football who with the right guidance could make it.

I think the scouts like the warm little places rather than standing on the side of a wind swept pissing down with rain pitch in Upper Cwmtwrch or Pontcanna watching good young talent.

Totally agree, played with and against some brilliant footballers in the Caerphilly( Taff ely ) , Cardiff & Gwent leagues.

There doesn't seem to be anyone watching these games that I've noticed anyway.
We did have 3 or 4 boys go to Newport for a few years and the only one I can think of still playing ( at a decent level) is
Troy Greening ( Barry Town)

Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:09 am

Tan is a business man. He's well within his rights to scrap the youth system completely. Money to successful graduate ratio stands at 1/£££££££. Lots of clubs not bothering.Top young talent gets poached so why bother?

Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:34 pm

Unfortunately , there is just not enough talent at that level at the club.

I was talking about this to the club`s management about a year ago and their view is that there are lots of extremely talented and promising players at the club at u15/u16 level but fewer in the older age groups. The club has a five year plan to bring through players at this younger age all the way through to challenging for the first team squad but as fans (it is really hard for all of us to be patient) the delay is frustrating.

In the meantime , plenty of u18s (and even some 16 year olds) have been used in the u23 squad but they will have to be mixed in with more experienced older players like the two signed this week (who have already been playing as trialists) to make the team competitive so as not to dishearten the younger ones by playing in a team that gets hammered every week.

Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:54 pm

1980s Bluebird wrote:Having watched a few local games Neath and District league, there is some fine talent out there that just needs the chance, why we go looking around England I do not know, maybe for one or two yes but there are some cracking little players on parks football who with the right guidance could make it.

good players are no secret everyone within that age group , players,teachers,coaches will know who they are and recomend them....if your talented at say Neath Boys club you will probably be playing for your school..afan nedd schoolboys and represnting the west glamorgan league..its those category B games where boys are playing with and against the better boys from their areas the scouts will be watching ,not the cat c parks football up a mountain between mixed ability teams {which most junior club teams are }
both ourselves and Swansea do soccer schools...run numerous developement centres { a step down from the academy } and all in all look at literally thousands of kids..much more than ever before.but if the talent isnt there, it isnt there.