Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Warnock has a hard decision now!

Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:43 pm

Play three full strength teams in seven days and risk tired players for the Sheff Wed game after two long journeys

Or

Full strength for the league games and a mix for the cup risking missing out on a huge cup tie against Man city ?

Or

Risk a few changes for sunderland as they are piss poor at the moment with massive injury list and go all out against Mansfield and Sheff Wed

I would go with the 3rd option personally as i think the Man city game would ignite the fans for the rest of the season.

Re: Warnock has a hard decision now!

Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:46 pm

Got to go for it it's a 1 million pound payday

Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:53 pm

wez1927 wrote:Got to go for it it's a 1 million pound payday

Agree cannot afford to play a weakened side now!

Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:54 pm

Full strength.

Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:02 pm

There is no doubt that we will put out a full strength team as the draw of a bumper pay day will be too much.

Only problem is I would still make Mansfield slight favourites to go through. They will give their all, on their own pitch and in front of their crowd! Not forgetting our recent form.

Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:23 pm

bridgendbluebird30 wrote:There is no doubt that we will put out a full strength team as the draw of a bumper pay day will be too much.

Only problem is I would still make Mansfield slight favourites to go through. They will give their all, on their own pitch and in front of their crowd! Not forgetting our recent form.

Agree.
Not trying to be negative but i think the lure of Man City at home will benefit Mansfield.
Considering our recent form their players will want it more on the night. Hope i am proved wrong!

Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:44 pm

I say put our weakest side possible out against Mansfield.

Leeds, Derby, Bristol City and Villa are all safely out of the cup. Do we really want to add an extra fixture against a team we can’t beat ? Giving our main rivals an advantage? We also end up a game behind them meaning we have to put out an extra midweek fixture later in the season.

Put our weakest team out as possible against Mansfield. And if we beat them do the same against Man City. We do not want a cup run.

Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:55 pm

bluebird58 wrote:I say put our weakest side possible out against Mansfield.

Leeds, Derby, Bristol City and Villa are all safely out of the cup. Do we really want to add an extra fixture against a team we can’t beat ? Giving our main rivals an advantage? We also end up a game behind them meaning we have to put out an extra midweek fixture later in the season.

Put our weakest team out as possible against Mansfield. And if we beat them do the same against Man City. We do not want a cup run.

They probably thought we couldn't beat them in 94 also :bluescarf: :ayatollah: :bluebird:

You make a valid point about the clubs around us out of the cup though...are we going to go for a bumper day or focus on league, I think I know what VT will want.

Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:56 pm

totally understand your logic but completely disagree.

football is about big games, wins and success. not clinging on to a bore draw in the premier league playing anti football just to pay average players over inflated wages.

Even Wigan and Birmingham can stand tall by winning cups, with memories that their kids will sing about for years where as stoke and west brom etc have fcuk all to sound off about. Just getting drubbed and squeezing through games for the last x amount of years - how very very boring......(we go bonkers for 1927 FFS!) :bluebird:

Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:57 pm

That's an incredible post, I get we don't need a cup run but we are in football to win. I don't think I have ever read such an absurd post, madness. Stoke played a weak team at Chelsea to take the medicine and beat Newcastle the week after. We all know what happened.

Special games don't come often, Man City home would be a special match whatever the result. The cup can sometimes help.

Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:58 pm

eddiep wrote:

football is about big games, wins and success. not clinging on to a bore draw in the premier league playing anti football just to pay average players over inflated wages.

Even Wigan and Birmingham can stand tall by winning cups, with memories that their kids will sing about for years where as stoke and west brom etc have fcuk all to sound off about. Just getting drubbed and squeezing through games for the last x amount of years - how very very boring......(we go bonkers for 1927 FFS!) :bluebird:

Exactly, Man City as good as they are won't be full strength.

Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:00 pm

thomasblue wrote:Play three full strength teams in seven days and risk tired players for the Sheff Wed game after two long journeys
Bristol City played a full strength team against Man Utd.....so why are we even debating this..we have too play a full strength team...what ever that is!!!

Or

Full strength for the league games and a mix for the cup risking missing out on a huge cup tie against Man city ?

Or

Risk a few changes for sunderland as they are piss poor at the moment with massive injury list and go all out against Mansfield and Sheff Wed

I would go with the 3rd option personally as i think the Man city game would ignite the fans for the rest of the season.

Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:01 pm

I agree it’s obvious we play our strongest teams for the League, and fringe playersqns youth for the competitive practise games like the cups.

Even if we played our strongest team, some would get injured, and then get run ragged by Man City if we did manage a win,
Last edited by Bluebina on Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:02 pm

eddiep wrote:

why not rest three or four players that need a rest (like mendez laing) and play 7 first teamers? surely that should be more than enough to beat league two mansfield? last time i checked we are at the top end of the championship. then use the man city payday if it comes, to bring in a player in on loan :thumbright:

Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:04 pm

Play to win every game. Strongest available team

Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:04 pm

northernbluebird wrote:
eddiep wrote:

why not rest three or four players that need a rest (like mendez laing) and play 7 first teamers? surely that should be more than enough to beat league two mansfield? last time i checked we are at the top end of the championship. then use the man city payday if it comes, to bring in a player in on loan :thumbright:

:occasion5:

Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:11 pm

So leeds wanted to go out to Newport? Same for other teams you mention? So Even arsenal and stoke wanted to go out as they wanted to concentrate on league! What do teams enter competition for then? :old:

Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:11 pm

What happens if we play a weakened team, and also fall away from the promotion battle. We then have precisely nothing to look forward to. The odds are stacked against us getting promoted to the PL, we have done it once in over 50 years. A big gamble messing around in the cup. We could end up with nothing and lose out on a bumper pay day while we are at it.

Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:24 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:What happens if we play a weakened team, and also fall away from the promotion battle. We then have precisely nothing to look forward to. The odds are stacked against us getting promoted to the PL, we have done it once in over 50 years. A big gamble messing around in the cup. We could end up with nothing and lose out on a bumper pay day while we are at it.

What if we beat Man City....players will be ready for anythig after that... :bluescarf:

Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:27 pm

Sloper Road wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:What happens if we play a weakened team, and also fall away from the promotion battle. We then have precisely nothing to look forward to. The odds are stacked against us getting promoted to the PL, we have done it once in over 50 years. A big gamble messing around in the cup. We could end up with nothing and lose out on a bumper pay day while we are at it.

What if we beat Man City....players will be ready for anythig after that... :bluescarf:

Probably give everyone a lift. Unlikely I know, but it was unlikely last time and in '94.

Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:35 pm

Take one game at a time. The strongest available team selection and A win against Sunderland is a must . Games after Saturday don't matter at the moment.

Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:41 pm

I have never been as gutted as when we lost on pens to Liverpool after a match we should have won and an incredible run up where we had some truly terrific atmosphere at the CCS. I wasn't best pleased after Pompey either.

A decent cup run I feel would help bring back the crowds so I think we go all in.

Most of the folks on this forum are there rain or shine but there's around 15,000 of various fan demographics who could be there and if we get another 5000 to at least going regularly for the rest of the season on the back of a good cup run then so be it. They plus more may still decide to come back whether we are in the mix for promotion or not.

Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:14 pm

Think he already said depending on the draw either kids or full strength.

Some of the players have had a rest time to produce again and play like they can.

Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:37 pm

englishbluebird wrote:Take one game at a time. The strongest available team selection and A win against Sunderland is a must . Games after Saturday don't matter at the moment.

Spot on this, maybe we are all looking a bit further ahead. This game is massive. :thumbup: