Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

SUNDERLAND IN THE 80s

Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:10 am

Who remembers Sunderland when they came to NP back in the day. Biggest ever Crowd that I witnessed that day. They bought thousands upon thousands. It got proper naughty behind the Canton Stand. Bricks were exchanged aplenty. Most memorable occasion.

Anyone have memories and stories of the day :bluescarf: :bluebird:

Re: SUNDERLAND IN THE 80s

Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:00 am

City1983 wrote:Who remembers Sunderland when they came to NP back in the day. Biggest ever Crowd that I witnessed that day. They bought thousands upon thousands. It got proper naughty behind the Canton Stand. Bricks were exchanged aplenty. Most memorable occasion.

Anyone have memories and stories of the day :bluescarf: :bluebird:

They brought nearly 10,000 fans and we barely had 7,000 fans.

I was on the pitch at the end of the game, I was fuming as they took over that as well :lol:

They took Canton over,but got absolutely by Cardiff by Cardiff Castle.

Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:12 am

Despite having smaller numbers Cardiff had the better of them nearly all day. Incidents that stand out were by The Royal Tudor and The Craddock before the game. If they hadn't got promoted, I think it would have gone a all tits up for us after though!

Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:17 am

Seemed like they were everywhere that day, all over canton before the game, they were even as far up as the vic park pub drinking before the game.

Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:34 am

Was this the 1-1,they needed to win for promotion.

Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:26 am

I remember getting off the train at Cardiff central, as soon as we got outside the station there was Sunderland everywhere including some of them dressed in full Nazi uniform, there was fighting everywhere. A taxi driver gave a free lift to the ground, he dropped us off by the canton stand and there was fighting behind there too.I think Sunderland needed a point to go up and we took the lead , I turned to my brother as we stood on the Bob bank and said o hope they score or it's all going to kick off again, they equalised and it finished one all. That was my first ever Game too.

Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:38 pm

CHRIS PIKE wrote:I remember getting off the train at Cardiff central, as soon as we got outside the station there was Sunderland everywhere including some of them dressed in full Nazi uniform, there was fighting everywhere. A taxi driver gave a free lift to the ground, he dropped us off by the canton stand and there was fighting behind there too.I think Sunderland needed a point to go up and we took the lead , I turned to my brother as we stood on the Bob bank and said o hope they score or it's all going to kick off again, they equalised and it finished one all. That was my first ever Game too.

Ha, that sounds familiar, the guys in Nazi gear and their mates were in their 30's/40's and taking the piss out of us cos we were kids to them-mid/late teens. However they weren't laughing a few minutes later when a mob of our older lot turned up- well it would have ben rude not to have joined in after having the piss taken! Happy yet dangerous times...

Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:31 pm

I remember the nazi guy getting arrested in the grange end.also after the game their coaches headed home up the bypass along side heath hospital where they were bricked by city fans on the roadside.