Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Vince Alm: “Worst Draw Possible for Cardiff”

Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:30 am

VINCE ALM:

“Worst draw possible for us”

“ Most important Fixtures for me are Sunderland and Sheffield Wednesday this month.”

“Hope we don't take our eye off the real prize and we must focus on the league.”

“Worst draw possible for us Warnock will be forced to play a strong side next Tuesday with an injury ravaged squad, against a physical team who will try and kick us off the park, why couldn't we drawn Hull away!”

Re: Vince Alm: “Worst Draw Possible for Cardiff”

Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:31 am

what a negative person.

just enjoy it (if we get it)

Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:33 am

Resting players is a load of bull. Professionals can easily play 2 games in a short space of time.
Plus you play to win. If we play a weakened team we deserve to lose

Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:42 am

Completely disagree, there are no midweek league games now until the end of February by which time we could easily have 2/3 players back and hopefully a few new signings

Go to Mansfield with a strong team and beat them and let's see probably the best team in Europe at CCS, can't believe people would want to miss out on an opportunity like that
Last edited by oohahhPaulMillar on Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:42 am

Don't understand his logic. We are not Barcelona or Man C who are looking at the real big prizes such as being crowned European Champions. We are Cardiff City where any sort of success should be celebrated. We have won one major trophy in our entire history, and have spent just one season in the top division since I started watching us over half a century ago. I can understand some of the big teams not playing a full strength team in the earlier rounds, but I think smaller teams like us should be milking these sort of ties for all their worth. History tells us we are unlikely to be playing in the PL next season, so do we just accept that we are a Championship club who may as well forget about cup runs.

Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:13 am

Agree with all the above.

Posts so much rubbish.

Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:13 am

Steve Zodiak wrote:Don't understand his logic. We are not Barcelona or Man C who are looking at the real big prizes such as being crowned European Champions. We are Cardiff City where any sort of success should be celebrated. We have won one major trophy in our entire history, and have spent just one season in the top division since I started watching us over half a century ago. I can understand some of the big teams not playing a full strength team in the earlier rounds, but I think smaller teams like us should be milking these sort of ties for all their worth. History tells us we are unlikely to be playing in the PL next season, so do we just accept that we are a Championship club who may as well forget about cup runs.

Spot On :thumbup: Arguably the best team in Europe at the moment with the worlds best manager, what is not to like about this tie and if Man City look at the history there is a good chance old Pep will put out a strong team after all he is going for 4 trophies!

Let's beat Mansfield first! :bluebird: :ayatollah: :bluescarf:

Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:16 am

I kind of agree. I'm excited about the fact we have Man city at home if we beat Mansfield but I do not want any more players injured as a result or tiredness to worsen! The league is much more important to me than the FA cup no matter who we are playing. I'd rather we lose to Mansfield and then continue concerntrating in the league. The chances of us beating man city are slim although not impossible. So we could potentially be knocked out of the cup at an early round with nothing to show but more injuries. It's a no from me! If this had been last season with us in the bottom half of the table I would have been all for it.

Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:23 am

Once a blue always a blue44 wrote:I kind of agree. I'm excited about the fact we have Man city at home if we beat Mansfield but I do not want any more players injured as a result or tiredness to worsen! The league is much more important to me than the FA cup no matter who we are playing. I'd rather we lose to Mansfield and then continue concerntrating in the league. The chances of us beating man city are slim although not impossible. So we could potentially be knocked out of the cup at an early round with nothing to show but more injuries. It's a no from me! If this had been last season with us in the bottom half of the table I would have been all for it.

Surviving is more important than promotion... just saying.

Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:26 am

Agree with most above. However, we actually have to beat Masnfield first!!! If we play anything like we did Saturday, our cup run will go no further. Don't forget we were home and we had an arguably 1st team out there. Mansfield deserve another crack at us at their place. I fear it may be a long journey for us next week, with possibly bad consequences!! :bluebird:

Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:30 am

Most club's supporters would be eyeing us up jealousy and yet some of ours are unhappy with it. Some people always find something to moan about.

Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:35 am

Hull away! Do me a favour!

Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:49 am

Has a small point the league is more important! but must ask question why enter competition in 1st place if don't want extra games? :| the fa cup is all about getting a big club in 3rd Round at least. :thumbup:

Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:15 am

In general I agree with Vince that the league has to be the priority and the injuries we've had up to now are pretty frightening :shock:

However, it's our own fault that we now have a replay so we're stuck with that now and if, and it's a big IF, we do win that it's only then one extra game. Nobody in their right mind would predict us beating Man City and therefore it's a game to be enjoyed by us or Mansfield.

I have to say there are some slightly less obvious benefits to this possible big game; that is the interest and momentum that it could give us. Lately we look devoid of energy and confidence but playing a team like Man City with no pressure other than to give your best could release the shackles off some of our players as well as getting a few more casual fans involved when we really need them going into the nitty gritty of Feb/Mar/Apr.

So overall, let's just deal with the reply and then, hopefully, enjoy a day in the spotlight :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:29 am

CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:
Once a blue always a blue44 wrote:I kind of agree. I'm excited about the fact we have Man city at home if we beat Mansfield but I do not want any more players injured as a result or tiredness to worsen! The league is much more important to me than the FA cup no matter who we are playing. I'd rather we lose to Mansfield and then continue concerntrating in the league. The chances of us beating man city are slim although not impossible. So we could potentially be knocked out of the cup at an early round with nothing to show but more injuries. It's a no from me! If this had been last season with us in the bottom half of the table I would have been all for it.

I meant when we were safer (not in the bottom 4 or 5. Don't get me wrong I'm excited about the prospect of having man city at home - however I'd rather gamble that and try to get into the playoffs etc

Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:32 am

He's a good lad Vince.

Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:56 am

Once a blue always a blue44 wrote:

I meant when we were safer (not in the bottom 4 or 5. Don't get me wrong I'm excited about the prospect of having man city at home - however I'd rather gamble that and try to get into the playoffs etc

Problem is we have had far better sides here in the past who have failed to get out of this division. The one bit of success was when we had a manager who had access to the sort of money that no manager in our history had ever had before. Finances are ultra tight now, and I doubt if we will see many quality players arrive this month.

Not saying it is a complete impossibility for us to go up, but I think our club history suggests it is unlikely. If we ditch the cup as well, we could have little to look forward to a few weeks down the line, apart from next season.

Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:02 am

Steve Zodiak wrote:Don't understand his logic. We are not Barcelona or Man C who are looking at the real big prizes such as being crowned European Champions. We are Cardiff City where any sort of success should be celebrated. We have won one major trophy in our entire history, and have spent just one season in the top division since I started watching us over half a century ago. I can understand some of the big teams not playing a full strength team in the earlier rounds, but I think smaller teams like us should be milking these sort of ties for all their worth. History tells us we are unlikely to be playing in the PL next season, so do we just accept that we are a Championship club who may as well forget about cup runs.

how can a bloke sticking his hand in a bowl and pulling Man City reserves out be a success to be celebrated..

Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:05 am

paulh_85 wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:

Problem is we have had far better sides here in the past who have failed to get out of this division. The one bit of success was when we had a manager who had access to the sort of money that no manager in our history had ever had before. Finances are ultra tight now, and I doubt if we will see many quality players arrive this month.

Not saying it is a complete impossibility for us to go up, but I think our club history suggests it is unlikely. If we ditch the cup as well, we could have little to look forward to a few weeks down the line, apart from next season.

Oh flip :lol: :lol:

Or I could have said that we now have the best side we have ever had, and that we have had so many promotions to the top division that this season should be a cert, especially as MM achieved it with far less money than Warnock has. However, I thought it may be better to be a bit more factual. How many times have you seen us get to the top flight?

Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:22 am

Forever Blue wrote:VINCE ALM:

“ Most important Fixtures for me are Sunderland and Sheffield Wednesday this month.”

“Hope we don't take our eye off the real prize and we must focus on the league.”

“Worst draw possible for us Warnock will be forced to play a strong side next Tuesday with an injury ravaged squad, against a physical team who will try and kick us off the park, why couldn't we drawn Hull away!”

With
Vince 100% on this one

Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:32 am

This thread just shows how much supporting a football club has changed. When I started watching the City if we had a 3rd or round FA Cup tie at home against anyone it was the biggest day in the football calendar, if it was a top team even better eg Spurs, Ipswich, Arsenal between 1977 and 1980.

Now City have a chance of playing possibly the best team in world football at the moment, and OP is moaning. Of course the league is important but IMO so is the chance to take on one of the best in front of our home crowd in a one off game. The players and management must do all they can to ensure City beat a 4th division team to earn this tie.

The enticement to be picked for that game surely will make the players jump through hoops in the league games.

How short some people's memories are incidentally when it was not that long ago City got to a FA Cup final and put City on the football map. Is the PL all the club should aspire to? No of course not. This is a great chance to kick start the season.

Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:36 am

dogfound wrote:

how can a bloke sticking his hand in a bowl and pulling Man City reserves out be a success to be celebrated..

Simple really. Manchester City reserves will be better than any other team we get to see here this season, and most players will be far more well known than any of our league opponent's players. I remember the excitement of the last time we played them in the cup. May be it will be their second string we end up playing, but I would put money on it drawing our biggest gate so far this season. Like others have said, there is the small matter of Mansfield first.

Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:43 am

Forever Blue wrote:VINCE ALM:

Vince who??

Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:48 am

Steve Zodiak wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:

f*cking hell :lol: :lol:

Or I could have said that we now have the best side we have ever had, and that we have had so many promotions to the top division that this season should be a cert, especially as MM achieved it with far less money than Warnock has. However, I thought it may be better to be a bit more factual. How many times have you seen us get to the top flight?

just a dose of realism would suffice.

not sure what 50 years of history has to do with this season

Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:48 am

Steve Zodiak wrote:
dogfound wrote:

Simple really. Manchester City reserves will be better than any other team we get to see here this season, and most players will be far more well known than any of our league opponent's players. I remember the excitement of the last time we played them in the cup. May be it will be their second string we end up playing, but I would put money on it drawing our biggest gate so far this season. Like others have said, there is the small matter of Mansfield first.

man city will play quite a few first teamers

Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:00 pm

paulh_85 wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:

f*cking hell :lol: :lol:

just a dose of realism would suffice.

not sure what 50 years of history has to do with this season

Well, we will see if I am being realistic or not come the end of the season. If we get promoted, I will celebrate like mad and come back to this thread and will gladly say I was wrong. Personally, I think the odds are stacked against us. The club has hardly any money to spend to strengthen our squad, we are having no luck with injuries, and have won once in the last seven games I believe. The plus side for me is Warnock, and if anyone can get us into the play offs with hardly any money available, I think he is the one.

Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:03 pm

Look on the bright side, we have only been beaten at home twice, playing poorly, lots of injuries and still Third...that'll do me

Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:29 pm

Vince is a top man .Diehard city and goes above and beyond for fans looking for tickets/information. He very very rarely criticises the team

Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:41 pm

englishbluebird wrote:Vince is a top man .Diehard city and goes above and beyond for fans looking for tickets/information. He very very rarely criticises the team

I dare say he is, but his posts/quotes on here are nearly always negative.

Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:43 pm

rhondda 1015 wrote:
englishbluebird wrote:Vince is a top man .Diehard city and goes above and beyond for fans looking for tickets/information. He very very rarely criticises the team

I dare say he is, but his posts/quotes on here are nearly always negative.

There's no doubt he does a lot for the club / fans but that doesn't mean you can say what you like and not expect backlash.