Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Transfer Window - Statement of Intent

Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:54 pm

With half the season complete and City standing 3rd after 4 straight defeats will this transfer window define in what division the club wish to be playing next season?

Neil Warnock has worked wonders since his arrival but with a injury hit squad it is clear that City need quality reinforcements particularly in certain positions. It seems that we are unable to compete with the likes of Wolves & Derby who have invested heavily but will the club sanction transfers and release funds to bring in the quality to fight for an automatic or play off position.

With the club sitting in 3rd I would guess that many supporters would be disappointed if the manager is not backed in the transfer window. City need those extra 2/3 quality players but if the purse strings are not released then will it be another case of ‘so near yet so far’? The club has stabled the ship over recent years but is it now time to show some ambition to spend within sensible limits? Interested to hear opinions?

Re: Transfer Window - Statement of Intent

Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:52 pm

At the moment we are awaiting news of signing a top class striker and midfielder in the January transfer window as indicated by Warnock last month. Do not hold your breath with this club as who knows who will come in. It was hoped they would be in before the Sunderland game on Saturday. I await in anticipation!!!!!!!!!!!

Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:05 pm

Need them in before the Sunderland game as we cant afford anymore slip ups.

Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:24 pm

The defence is as serious a problem as the weak midfield and dearth of goals from our strikers. from being relatively watertight to a leaking vessel in a short space of time is alarming. Keep a clean sheet and we won't lose a game.

Morrison coming back will help. Him and Bamba to team up again with Manga dropped IMO.

Not sure what he will do with the keeper position. Camp played yesterday. Murphy has done nothing wrong.

I don't rate any of our fit full backs. Bennett was destroyed by Fulham. Paterson is not a full back. Neither is Manga. Richards is an enigma.

Ass for our forwards, until and unless there is a supply of balls to Zahore to run onto on his left hand side, he's not going to score. Healey is a trier and has some nice touches but he has had enough game time now to show he can score at this level. Bogle is a mystery to me.

Our central midfield is as weak as I can ever recall. No Billy Ronson type snapping away and stealing possession. No Buchanan or Kavanagh type charging forward and scoring. No McPhail type to feed through balls. Our central midfield just do not score goals like seemingly every other championship team.

Harris' continuing injury is a blow as he would have been perfect to come in for a jaded Hoilett and NML.

So back to the post subject, with our deficiencies so publicly highlighted in the xmas disaster period, in an ideal world, a left back, a pair of central midfielders, a winger and a goal scorer are needed. It is up to Warnock to find them but if he cannot then rather than get journeymen like Halford and Bryson, he needs to either play some of the DVP squad (Mark Harris eg) and/or get the team that got us to the top playing again like they did.

Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:06 pm

Danny Says wrote:The defence is as serious a problem as the weak midfield and dearth of goals from our strikers. from being relatively watertight to a leaking vessel in a short space of time is alarming. Keep a clean sheet and we won't lose a game.

Morrison coming back will help. Him and Bamba to team up again with Manga dropped IMO.

Not sure what he will do with the keeper position. Camp played yesterday. Murphy has done nothing wrong.

I don't rate any of our fit full backs. Bennett was destroyed by Fulham. Paterson is not a full back. Neither is Manga. Richards is an enigma.

Ass for our forwards, until and unless there is a supply of balls to Zahore to run onto on his left hand side, he's not going to score. Healey is a trier and has some nice touches but he has had enough game time now to show he can score at this level. Bogle is a mystery to me.

Our central midfield is as weak as I can ever recall. No Billy Ronson type snapping away and stealing possession. No Buchanan or Kavanagh type charging forward and scoring. No McPhail type to feed through balls. Our central midfield just do not score goals like seemingly every other championship team.

Harris' continuing injury is a blow as he would have been perfect to come in for a jaded Hoilett and NML.

So back to the post subject, with our deficiencies so publicly highlighted in the xmas disaster period, in an ideal world, a left back, a pair of central midfielders, a winger and a goal scorer are needed. It is up to Warnock to find them but if he cannot then rather than get journeymen like Halford and Bryson, he needs to either play some of the DVP squad (Mark Harris eg) and/or get the team that got us to the top playing again like they did.

You say about our defence is as weak as our midfield, it’s only been weak since Morrison has been injured or is that a coincidence? And for you to say to drop Manga is absurd, he’s been in our defence for the majority of our clean sheets so I don’t know what game you watch.
Our problem is the midfield, fact. No supply to the front three to score goals and no protection for our defence, so yes we need a midfield general and maybe another to give a kick up the arse to our current midfielders. Bryson is NOT a journeyman, he’s had 3 clubs lol.
Zohore, imho is either got lazy or is still not 100% fit because he doesn’t seem to be interested on the field when he does get service. As for Healey, I totally disagree with you, he has had no where near enough game time after his horrific injury so give the boy a break, he will come good. Bogle, I agree with you is a mystery. So having saying that we need another striker that maybe can get 20 goals a season.
As for the keeper, I don’t have a problem with Etheridge or Murphy but is it time to put Camp there?
On to our wingers, imh Hoilett and Mendez-Laing need a rest so it’s time to either change formation or change the wingers or both, teams have sussed out the way we play hence why we are not getting results.
I don’t think we need a leftback as I think Bennett is more than capable and if he needs to be dropped then there are a few that can play there, right back is the same, we have a few that can play there. So what I think we need is, a midfield general, a good striker and a midfield/winger. 3 good players there and I think we’ll be ok.
I also agree with you about giving some of the DVP squad some playing time. :thumbup:

Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:47 pm

Danny Says wrote:The defence is as serious a problem as the weak midfield and dearth of goals from our strikers. from being relatively watertight to a leaking vessel in a short space of time is alarming. Keep a clean sheet and we won't lose a game.

Our defence is a massive problem yet before them “4 games” we had the best defence in the league thats exactly what the statistics said so work that fucker out lol.

Investment needed, id like to see a quality defensive midfielder added to sit in front of defence and break play up, a creative midfieler also a goalscorer and if we can get a winger to compete with mendez and hoilett then great