VAR Good or Bad

A forum for all things Cardiff City

VAR Good or Bad

Postby Whistler » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:26 pm

As an ex-referee, I note with interest the use of video technology in support of referees. We all have a grip at referees whether it be Managers, players, pundits or fans. Many of them often only see it with a bias point of view, I have been critical of some referees this season and challenged other fans when I have heard unfair comments about referees. My main beef with today's refereeing is that some of them do not have a good enough recognition of a foul or that they are not able to man-manage players within the context of the match, a referee will never see everything that happens on the pitch. I would maintain that video technology will not be the answer to this issues.

Up to this point in time the use of goal-line technology has been very successful, however I am concerned that widening of the use of technology for the referee will have a damaging effect on the game. We have seen in other sports mainly Rugby and Cricket that referees/umpires now rely on TMOs to make all the decisions which make those sports even more of a stop/ start nature, those referees don't have the courage of their own minds to make decisions. The game of football has to be safeguarded against creating an environment which prevents the flow of the beautiful game.
:occasion5:
Whistler
 
Posts: 325
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:50 am

VAR Good or Bad

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: VAR Good or Bad

Postby 2blue2handle » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:52 pm

Goal line technology yes, its a simple goal or no goal and is instant.

The rest of it no for me.
User avatar
2blue2handle
 
Posts: 27607
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:31 pm
Location: Cardiff

Re: VAR Good or Bad

Postby bluebird7291 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:56 pm

refs discretion yes, and maybe a 3 challenge option for each manager like NFL. So if they think its a pen etc and the ref dont.
it will help eradicate cheating for sure.
bluebird7291
 
Posts: 3239
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:22 pm

Re: VAR Good or Bad

Postby Mr Potato » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:13 pm

It’s not for me as I like the controversy of a bad decision, it’s a talking point, something that gets under the skin. That for me was always part of the game, simetimes you get them decisions sometimes it was a shocker and you didn’t. Talk about it, even debate it and argue over it in the pub after, all helped to make it a proper football day out. Now we are getting to a point where we slightly whinge at a ball boy for not throwing the ball back quick enough, and even then you get shoted down by the pc brigade for raising your voice at a football match

I would argue that the lack of technology has knocked England out of some major tournaments in the past so why Change it
Mr Potato
 
Posts: 285
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:30 pm

Re: VAR Good or Bad

Postby 1980s Bluebird » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:21 pm

2blue2handle wrote:Goal line technology yes, its a simple goal or no goal and is instant.

The rest of it no for me.


Same for me otherwise you will players whinging even more at the ref.
Soldiers willingly, sometimes foolishly, risk their own lives to keep their comrades out of enemy hands.
1980s Bluebird
 
Posts: 1230
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:37 pm

Re: VAR Good or Bad

Postby Dahboy » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:28 pm

Scrap it.
User avatar
Dahboy
 
Posts: 1572
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:18 pm

Re: VAR Good or Bad

Postby ae15 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:45 pm

I'd agree with having a review system where each manager/captain gets a review a game which is given back if correct. Works brilliantly in cricket and taekwondo actually especially. Thought the system seemed to work okay on Monday but not sure how it will be in more controversial games.

What you will find with VAR is that it will have the ability to drastically change elements of the game. In rugby, we have seen an incredible rise in the number of red cards that are handed out because previously the referee wouldn't see instances of foul play at the time or wouldn't have the courage to give the decision. It'll be interesting to see how the game changes in football as a result.
User avatar
ae15
 
Posts: 337
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:35 pm

Re: VAR Good or Bad

Postby Sloper Road » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:46 pm

The rules for VAR are already set out. It for 4 areas of play only. Think its for a Clarification of a disputed Goals and Penalty , Straight Red, Player identification on issuing of a card,nothing else.
Dont think it would be used much week in week out as i cant recall that many times in games this season where this would have been used,.
Its will be much quicker than rugby as the frequency of tries is higher than football goals scored so there would be less need.
It will be a lot quicker than a game stopped by players arguing the toss with a ref. It will also be quicker than the time it takes for the Fulham goal keeper to take a free kick for example..he took over 70 secs per kick..so i dont think it will slow the game down anymore than it is allowed to now.
Sloper Road
 
Posts: 183
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:26 am

Re: VAR Good or Bad

Postby pembroke allan » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:52 pm

ae15 wrote:I'd agree with having a review system where each manager/captain gets a review a game which is given back if correct. Works brilliantly in cricket and taekwondo actually especially. Thought the system seemed to work okay on Monday but not sure how it will be in more controversial games.

What you will find with VAR is that it will have the ability to drastically change elements of the game. In rugby, we have seen an incredible rise in the number of red cards that are handed out because previously the referee wouldn't see instances of foul play at the time or wouldn't have the courage to give the decision. It'll be interesting to see how the game changes in football as a result.




Goals, pens, mistaken identity, and red cards,
All of course means ball already dead so no actual stopping of game! And other thing it's is when a clear & obvious mistake as been made var comes into play, it cannot be used to stop game although var is in constant dialogue with ref during game hence it wasn't needed for Murrays goal on Monday as var said nothing wrong , :thumbup:
User avatar
pembroke allan
 
Posts: 15185
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:00 pm
Location: Cardiff

Re: VAR Good or Bad

Postby llangainbluebird » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:40 pm

I was against all new technology in football, until being at Reading a few weeks back. Now I'm all for it! As for VAR, not so sure. I follow Serie A, and it has been controversial there. Simone Inzaghi reckons it has cost Lazio 7 points this season. Biased, I know, but it's still the ref who makes the final decision. Not always clear cut with penalty decisions, red cards etc. Inzaghi also says that it slows the game down too much.

Probably just stick to goal line technology. Did you see Hibernian's 'goal' at Tynecastle in the recent Edinburgh derby?
llangainbluebird
 
Posts: 4570
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:39 pm

Re: VAR Good or Bad

Postby bridgendbluebird30 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:55 pm

Essential. Week in week out there are poor refereeing errors which particularly have an impact on the Premier League where huge sums of money are involved.

Don’t buy into “it evens itself out over the season”. One poor mistake could cost a team it’s League status and 100-200 million. If the technology is there, why not use it? No brainier.

It seems daily that people are talking about the poor decisions and not the football. Refs do a great job but they need help.
User avatar
bridgendbluebird30
 
Posts: 3000
Joined: Sat May 21, 2011 3:56 pm

Re: VAR Good or Bad

Postby pembroke allan » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:51 pm

llangainbluebird wrote:I was against all new technology in football, until being at Reading a few weeks back. Now I'm all for it! As for VAR, not so sure. I follow Serie A, and it has been controversial there. Simone Inzaghi reckons it has cost Lazio 7 points this . Biased, I know, but it's still the ref who makes the final decision. Not always clear cut with penalty decisions, red cards etc. Inzaghi also says that it slows the game down too much.

Probably just stick to goal line technology. Did you see Hibernian's 'goal' at Tynecastle in the recent Edinburgh derby?



Regarding serie A maybe it's the temprement of the players that make it hard by asking for var when they shouldn't do? Saw couplease incidents of that, hopefully the mentality of premier league players will be better and won't go chasing ref to view var, they didn't on Monday when could have nor tonight in one incident . Scots footy can't afford goaline tech :old:
User avatar
pembroke allan
 
Posts: 15185
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:00 pm
Location: Cardiff

Re: VAR Good or Bad

Postby DandoCCFC » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:30 pm

Goal line technology is good enough for me.

VAR is just having another look at a decision and it will still come to what the ref wants to decide anyway, what's the real difference? It's still what the ref determines in his own eyes. Scrap it.
I will.
And before anyone els gets in there no im not an ideot abroad

SL69.
User avatar
DandoCCFC
 
Posts: 13170
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:14 am
Location: Tredegar <O>

Re: VAR Good or Bad

Postby pembroke allan » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:36 pm

DandoCCFC wrote:Goal line technology is good enough for me.

VAR is just having another look at a decision and it will still come to what the ref wants to decide anyway, what's the real difference? It's still what the ref determines in his own eyes. Scrap it.



It would have changed pen decision for wba against arsenal for one thing and sure other decisions would have been changed this season if var in use! It's trying to take away the obvious mistakes that are made, city could have done with it several times this season? :laughing6: :
User avatar
pembroke allan
 
Posts: 15185
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:00 pm
Location: Cardiff

Re: VAR Good or Bad

Postby DandoCCFC » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:39 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
DandoCCFC wrote:Goal line technology is good enough for me.

VAR is just having another look at a decision and it will still come to what the ref wants to decide anyway, what's the real difference? It's still what the ref determines in his own eyes. Scrap it.



It would have changed pen decision for wba against arsenal for one thing and sure other decisions would have been changed this season if var in use! It's trying to take away the obvious mistakes that are made, city could have done with it several times this season? :laughing6: :


Still comes down to the ref decision, you can't determine if them decisions would be different with VAR.
I will.
And before anyone els gets in there no im not an ideot abroad

SL69.
User avatar
DandoCCFC
 
Posts: 13170
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:14 am
Location: Tredegar <O>

Re: VAR Good or Bad

Postby pembroke allan » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:01 pm

DandoCCFC wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
DandoCCFC wrote:Goal line technology is good enough for me.

VAR is just having another look at a decision and it will still come to what the ref wants to decide anyway, what's the real difference? It's still what the ref determines in his own eyes. Scrap it.



It would have changed pen decision for wba against arsenal for one thing and sure other decisions would have been changed this season if var in use! It's trying to take away the obvious mistakes that are made, city could have done with it several times this season? :laughing6: :


Still comes down to the ref decision, you can't determine if them decisions would be different with VAR.



Come on every person ex refs pundits said that decision was wrong the ref indicated player put arm to ball when clearly he didn't. Anyway having watched game tonight I've changed mind! ref didn't give pen for a tackle play went on until ball went out play then ref goes to var to see if it was a faul! what would happen if other team went up other end and scored before var gave decision as it took nearly 2 mins for var to decide if was a faul? Pandamonium no doubt :|
User avatar
pembroke allan
 
Posts: 15185
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:00 pm
Location: Cardiff

Re: VAR Good or Bad

Postby worcester_ccfc » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:02 pm

Seems to work well so far. Was used a couple of times in the Chelsea v Arsenal match tonight and didn’t really disrupt the match.

As for loss of debate, there was still plenty of debate about a VAR decision after it was used on Monday during Brighton v Crystal Palace.

I think it should be brought in. Teams have been relegated, lost titles, lost millions due to bad decisions - VAR will help stop that. Referees are human and will make mistakes, this is the assistance they need.
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match, and your Player of the Month every month during the season :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Ninian 116 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:
User avatar
worcester_ccfc
Admin
 
Posts: 10861
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:30 am

Re: VAR Good or Bad

Postby pembroke allan » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:17 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:Seems to work well so far. Was used a couple of times in the Chelsea v Arsenal match tonight and didn’t really disrupt the match.

As for loss of debate, there was still plenty of debate about a VAR decision after it was used on Monday during Brighton v Crystal Palace.

I think it should be brought in. Teams have been relegated, lost titles, lost millions due to bad decisions - VAR will help stop that. Referees are human and will make mistakes, this is the assistance they need.




What happens if there's 3 or 4 stoppages in a half like tonight's pen decision? Took around 2 mins to decide? Time is added on at end of half! 2 things as well guidelines say var used for obvious mistake tonight's decision not in slightest a mistake, and as said what if arsenal had scored in the 2 mins var took to decide because game doesn't stop until var makes a decision or ball goes out of play ? :|
User avatar
pembroke allan
 
Posts: 15185
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:00 pm
Location: Cardiff

Re: VAR Good or Bad

Postby Nuclearblue » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:08 am

Stop start all the time :banghead: Scrap it
User avatar
Nuclearblue
 
Posts: 22207
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:35 am

Re: VAR Good or Bad

Postby pembroke allan » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:22 am

Nuclearblue wrote:Stop start all the time :banghead: Scrap it



How can refs watch game while listening to var to make a decision bearing in mind ball can still be in play at the time? And going on last night var will be making decisions for refs before long, And did you see contè going bananas appealing for var be players soon trying to influence refs. whilst it will make errors less likely it will spoil flow of game given time. :old:
User avatar
pembroke allan
 
Posts: 15185
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:00 pm
Location: Cardiff

Re: VAR Good or Bad

Postby epping blue » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:03 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:Seems to work well so far. Was used a couple of times in the Chelsea v Arsenal match tonight and didn’t really disrupt the match.

As for loss of debate, there was still plenty of debate about a VAR decision after it was used on Monday during Brighton v Crystal Palace.

I think it should be brought in. Teams have been relegated, lost titles, lost millions due to bad decisions - VAR will help stop that. Referees are human and will make mistakes, this is the assistance they need.




What happens if there's 3 or 4 stoppages in a half like tonight's pen decision? Took around 2 mins to decide? Time is added on at end of half! 2 things as well guidelines say var used for obvious mistake tonight's decision not in slightest a mistake, and as said what if arsenal had scored in the 2 mins var took to decide because game doesn't stop until var makes a decision or ball goes out of play ? :|



I was alarmed at that little sequence. What would have happened to the 2 minutes had the penalty been awarded at that point. Would the 2 minutes be added on and anything in the 2 minutes rescinded ? I had thought they said that once the game continued for a fairly short period it could no longer be brought back and the decision altered. 20 secs would be too much. In 2 minutes anything could happen.

Clearly it will help with the obvious errors and it should deter simulation but as for everything else I think its going to bring more problems than it solves. Getting fans to understand why some decisions are referred and some aren't will be fun.

Where's it going to stop . Just the premier ? FA cup from a certain point ? Just the big clubs with the infrastructure built in. I think Scotland isn't having goal line technology as its too expensive and this probably considerably more.
epping blue
 
Posts: 716
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:09 pm

Re: VAR Good or Bad

Postby pembroke allan » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:59 pm

epping blue wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:Seems to work well so far. Was used a couple of times in the Chelsea v Arsenal match tonight and didn’t really disrupt the match.

As for loss of debate, there was still plenty of debate about a VAR decision after it was used on Monday during Brighton v Crystal Palace.

I think it should be brought in. Teams have been relegated, lost titles, lost millions due to bad decisions - VAR will help stop that. Referees are human and will make mistakes, this is the assistance they need.




What happens if there's 3 or 4 stoppages in a half like tonight's pen decision? Took around 2 mins to decide? Time is added on at end of half! 2 things as well guidelines say var used for obvious mistake tonight's decision not in slightest a mistake, and as said what if arsenal had scored in the 2 mins var took to decide because game doesn't stop until var makes a decision or ball goes out of play ? :|



I was alarmed at that little sequence. What would have happened to the 2 minutes had the penalty been awarded at that point. Would the 2 minutes be added on and anything in the 2 minutes rescinded ? I had thought they said that once the game continued for a fairly short period it could no longer be brought back and the decision altered. 20 secs would be too much. In 2 minutes anything could happen.

Clearly it will help with the obvious errors and it should deter simulation but as for everything else I think its going to bring more problems than it solves. Getting fans to understand why some decisions are referred and some aren't will be fun.

Where's it going to stop . Just the premier ? FA cup from a certain point ? Just the big clubs with the infrastructure built in. I think Scotland isn't having goal line technology as its too expensive and this probably considerably more.



If trial success it be rolled out across efl eventually! What happens if other team scores by time var make a decision it can happen easily? And time is added for decision so technically can have lot of extra time depending on appeals! My concern is like rugby the refs will depend on it to make decisions which it's not suppose to do. :roll:
User avatar
pembroke allan
 
Posts: 15185
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:00 pm
Location: Cardiff



Return to General Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot] and 74 guests

Disclaimer :
The views and comments entered in these forums are personal and are not necessarily those of the management of this board.
The management of this board is not responsible for the content of any external internet sites.