CHRIS COLEMAN:I HAVE NO REGRETS ABOUT WALKING AWAY FROM WALE

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:44 am

CHRIS COLEMAN: I HAVE NO REGRETS ABOUT WALKING AWAY FROM WALES

"I see Sunderland with their fanbase of almost 50,000 supporters if we get it right."

By Chris Wathan

Friday 12th Jan 2018

Chris Coleman has insisted he has no regrets about walking away from Wales and into a second-tier relegation battle.

Coleman returns to Cardiff City Stadium this weekend – the scene of some of his history-making nights as national boss – when he brings his survival-scrapping Sunderland side to face Cardiff.

The Euro 2016 hero quit the Wales job in November after failing to agree a new deal, leaving the FAW to embark on a search for a successor that they hope to reach a conclusion within the week.

But the shock came when he accepted the offer to take over at the Stadium of Light, with the fallen North East giants bottom of the Championship.

Despite doubling their points tally in ten games – and breaking a year-long run without a home win – Sunderland remain at the foot of the table and two points from safety heading into Saturday’s early afternoon clash with Neil Warnock’s promotion-chasing Bluebirds.

Yet Coleman says he stands by the reasons he opted to make the surprise switch, remains adamant he can turn things around, and maintains he has no regrets over swapping Gareth Bale and co. for a battle to avoid League One.

Put to him many have questioned the sense in his decision, Coleman told Sky Sports: “I can see why people would think that, but I see Sunderland with their fanbase of almost 50,000 supporters if we get it right, I see a great stadium and a fantastic training ground. I know what football means to the people in the North East, I do. I’ve been coming here as a player and manager long enough and the passion here for football is unlike anywhere. I think that’s why I was drawn to the club.

“Martin Bain, our chief executive, was 100 per cent honest with me and, on the back of the talk with him, I made my mind up. In this industry it’s hard sometimes to mention the word honesty, but he was brilliant and everything he told me was true.

“I was under no illusions over what I face but you always think as a manager you can go in somewhere and affect it, otherwise why go there? I just thought if I can affect this club in a positive way, make a difference, this club could be something fantastic. It’s why I took the job and I don’t regret it at all.”

Coleman says he is looking forward to returning to the ground where he says some of his best memories of his life we formed, adding he remains “extremely proud” to have been involved in the incredible highs experienced by the national side.

The Swansea-born boss adds that he will be intrigued by the reaction he will get from Cardiff fans, though admits his priority is on his current challenge – one he believes he can get right.

“At the minute, we’ve not even taken one step,” Coleman said of Sunderland’s progress in his ten games in charge.

“We’re nudging, we’re trying, we keep on banging at the door, we’re trying our best to run it around.

“And I sincerely believe we will turn it around. If I didn’t it would be pointless me being here.”
Attachments
GettyImages-876609234.jpg
GettyImages-876609234.jpg (33.53 KiB) Viewed 550 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Return to General Chat