Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Vince Alm: "So many Clubs"

Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:11 am

Leytonstoneblue wrote:
Sven wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:Replies

Phil Stead:
But they didn’t disenfranchise much of their core support by changing their identity.

Nigel Harris:
Agree with you Phil. I was a minimum 10 aways, usually closer to 20, all my life but it's not even a handful anymore since the rebrand. Always at home games (nearly always) but I no longer feel the need to be there for awaydays. Plently like me. 2 this season so far but am hoping to do a couple more.

With respect to Phil and Nigel, I suspect that (like others) at least part of their decisions came down to personal demographics and Nigel sums it up perfectly with his "I no longer feel the need to be there for away days"

It's simply not right that the majority (there will always be exceptions) stopped going "because of the rebrand" as there was still a huge following (indeed, some of the best we've seen in many a year) during the Premier League season and at the start of the following season, when City were in the 'other' colour

Phil is correct that there was a feeling of disenfranchisement. Vincent Tan should (probably has privately) take a look at his own actions/responses in that period. But was it as big and as genuine as some would have us believe?

Personally, I believe not, as although the signs of unrest began over the Malky situation, the whole situation only really took off after relegation and a (relatively) poor start under OGS the following season

Yes, there was unrest amongst the hardcore, yes were protests to a fashion and yes, some people stayed away; but the simple fact is that with the exception of the few who stood by their convictions, the majority either carried on as normal or simply 'stuck by their club' during some pretty dark days but definitely not the worst we've ever been through

Leigh James also makes a good point when citing the distances some clubs fans have to travel to away games and it is surely no coincidence that some of our best away attendances are to clubs where both kick off times and travel distance are within a two (maybe there hour) journey?

I always enjoy an away day with the City and seeing us win often gives me a better feeling than it does at home (Wolves this season was amongst the best I've experienced, mainly thanks to their ego-inflated fans) but people nowadays have far more to do with their time and will be very selective

It's just how it is and both club and supporters need to be concentrating on how we can move forward together rather than looking back in anger and resentment over things/situation we simply cannot change

C'mon City supporters: The future is BRIGHT; the future is BLUE; the future is YOU! :ayatollah: :bluescarf: :bluebird:

I think its a false premise to use our promotion season and Premiership season as examples of how good our support was, inspite of the rebrand. It is far more nuanced than that. Myself and many others I know kept going, as we knew that the day we had all been waiting so long for was about to arrive (seeing City in the Premiership) It should have been a dream, but the re-brand turned it into a nightmare. Most discussions (arguments) between supporters at that time was about the re-brand and the divisions it had caused, rather than the team, performances, which is how it should have been.
Many, begrudgingly kept supporting. Again, speaking form personal experience, I kept following home and away, but made a decision half way through the promotion season that I would only keep going until we reached the Premier and jack it in after that, the pride and loyalty felt supporting City had been sucked out of the experience, by the re-brand. From the conversations had at that time, most felt the same.

Not really, as people will make of it what they want when the reality is (and you say it yourself) most kept on coming after the rebrand. In many ways, it doesn't matter why, it only matters that they did

I'm not trying to say anyone is right or wrong. We all had our point of view at the time and only a (very vocal) few said they were 'happy' with the red at the time. The vast majority, including me, hated what happened but the choice was whether to carry on supporting the club itself or not. Most, including me, decided that the club itself was bigger than the owner, so stayed

Of course the Premier League had an effect on attendances. That was always going to happen (and hopefully will again) but to try and dismiss the remainers as glory hunters 'en bloc' is far too convenient a reason to label the majority who just wanted to carry on supporting the club

Hopefully, lessons learned on all sides and will never happen again. Surely, the future is what is important? :ayatollah: