Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

time wasting

Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:29 pm

Has anyone an idea on what the rules are against time wasting in football?
Is got to the point now where my enjoyment of the game is at a all time low where Goal kicks are taking over 70 secs from the time the ball leaves the pitch to the time taken for a goalkeeper to kick the ball.
Throw ins are as nearly as bad only made a bit quicker by the ball boys throwing a ball back to a player.
All teams are guilty including us but the worse has to be the Fulham keeper..he was dreadful from the first kick to the last.

Yesterday the Sunderland players were getting jeered by us for taking so long at throw ins and goal kicks but the ref played very little added time.

I understand why teams try to do it especially teams who are bottom of the league or are in a winning position...but surely there must be some sort of rule to quicken this up as its ruining my enjoyment for me at the moment.

Fans moan about VAR and how it will slow the game up but nothing compared to whats happening at the moment at goal kicks etc.....
I think in Rugby you have a set time to take a penalty or conversion cant that be the same in Football?

Re: time wasting

Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:46 pm

Pretty much at the referee's discretion. Goal kicks seem to take an eternity when we're one down, but when we're one up they seem to be taken ridiculously quickly. Someone always goes down with cramp, too. Always been part of the game. Doesn't particularly bother me, personally. On the whole, added time seems right. Remember the Fulham manager going nuts at the amount added on in that same game, when we got back to 3-2.

Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:03 pm

Ball boys are out stadium are shockingly bad. They are more worried about having a conversation than getting the ball.
At points yesterday it was 0-0 and stewards had to walk pitch side because the ball boys wasnt paying attention

Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:39 am

its has been considered that it should be a 60 minute game with the clock stopping when the ball goes dead.
not sure if thats dead in the water or up for further consideration,

Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:09 am

dogfound wrote:its has been considered that it should be a 60 minute game with the clock stopping when the ball goes dead.
not sure if thats dead in the water or up for further consideration,

I agree with the idea of stopping the clock during stoppages, as injury time is often not the right amount - one way or the other.

Officials are supposed to add 30 seconds per substitution, but often never seems to be the case.

Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:53 am

At the Fulham game in the second half I was using my phone's stopwatch to time the timewasting + subs etc. Came to 5mins05seconds. Ref added 5 mins. Wasn't too far out to be fair to him!

Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:04 am

This a great point, I have watched all the games possible on ifollow this season. As there are no action replays you really can see how much time is wasted. It seems to take an age to get the game restarted. Etheridge seems to take forever on goal kicks. Its frustrating to see so much time is wasted during the games this way.

Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:06 am

bluebird7291 wrote:Ball boys are out stadium are shockingly bad. They are more worried about having a conversation than getting the ball.
At points yesterday it was 0-0 and stewards had to walk pitch side because the ball boys wasnt paying attention

I completely agree - they are, and always have been, shocking. Sat stuck to their stools, hesitate to get up etc. And why they are all behind the advertising I'll never know, it's almost as if the bloke in charge of the stadium has told them to do it... :roll:

I'd be interested to know who has management responsibility for their role as he or she needs to be taken to one side and given a bollocking.