' Very Very Interesting / But Worrying '

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: ' Very Very Interesting / But Worrying '

Postby boyo1927 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:26 pm

There are so many factors contributing to this. Out of my close friends not many go down. I manage to get them down when the cheap offers like Leeds etc... All of them have young families and if I am honest are not die hard city like myself. They have all had season tickets but as they are mid 30s 40s priorities have changed. Some of them cost is not even an issue they prefer to spend time with family!

I know ticket prices are very good. Felt we missed a trick on season ticket prices to follow Huddersfield and Bradford lead. 189 quid would have got 95 percent of my circular of friends getting one!
boyo1927

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Postby Pencoed » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:28 pm

The fact 3 of are last 4 games being on tv make a difference. I'm a season ticket holder but due to work family it's been so much easier to watch them in the house. If they hadn't been on TV I would of had to go down.
Pencoed

Postby theclaw » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:42 pm

Stop all the deals (£5 tickets Etc) and lower season ticket prices a bit more.The club have tried to lure the floating supporter to come regular but this had failed as they only turn up when tickets are virtually given away.
It’s time to look after the loyal ones,keep them and hopefully increase next season.
theclaw

Postby boyo1927 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:08 pm

theclaw wrote:Stop all the deals (£5 tickets Etc) and lower season ticket prices a bit more.The club have tried to lure the floating supporter to come regular but this had failed as they only turn up when tickets are virtually given away.
It’s time to look after the loyal ones,keep them and hopefully increase next season.

Agree with this... Leeds was a superb game but fans didn't return... As per my other post. Dirt cheap season tickets maxed at 199 adult would surely get 20k sales
boyo1927

Postby pembroke allan » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:11 pm

boyo1927 wrote:There are so many factors contributing to this. Out of my close friends not many go down. I manage to get them down when the cheap offers like Leeds etc... All of them have young families and if I am honest are not die hard city like myself. They have all had season tickets but as they are mid 30s 40s priorities have changed. Some of them cost is not even an issue they prefer to spend time with family!

I know ticket prices are very good. Felt we missed a trick on season ticket prices to follow Huddersfield and Bradford lead. 189 quid would have got 95 percent of my circular of friends getting one!

unfortunately having those prices is not sustainable in championship or will very soon run into ffp rules again! not enough income ok for one season but then what? :thumbup:
pembroke allan

Postby Sven » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:13 pm

Bluebina wrote:A lot have finished because of modern football, woman and children and a game atmosphere, away fans miles away, it's ten times more boring than it was ten years ago.

Cardiff fans used throw coins and bottles of piss, now some are saying we should sing we love you Coleman (a Swansea fan) and clap him, thousands have given up their season tickets and watch when they fancy it and on TV.

When they come back it's so quiet, they don't rush to revisit. If we break back into the top two and start winning again some will come back for the football even though the atmosphere is rubbish, but it will never be the same. I predict crowds will continue to drop year on year, unless we get to the premiership of course, and then those floating glory hunter type fans will want to come.

Thank you, Job's Comforter! ;)

I sincerely hope you don't seriously hark back to these days (above) and for the record, I didn't hear a single Coleman chant (good or bad) until the game was well beyond his team ;) :roll:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby Nickoblue23 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:14 pm

darran1927 wrote:Crowds should be higher, I don't believe it's all down Tan, as crowds were still high when he rebranded us. I believe it's down to the fact that some fans were there in hope we would get promoted last few seasons (before relegation from premiership) and wanted to be there for when we did . Well we've done it now and think the novelty has worn off with some fans. I accept that some fans stopped going because of tan but they would have stopped season we rebranded (and attendances were still high then).

We had relegation and that's when attendances started to decline. We had OGS for a bit when relegated then this is where I believe problems started. We didn't sign a named manager (slade)and show any ambition, it looked like the club were happy to stay in the championship and slades negative boring football didn't help. Slade in his press conferences stated we were "no longer shopping in Harrods " and were getting rid of any players with value. The club had to trim wage bill from years of overspending(which needed to happen) but this will put the floating fan off attending. As fans want to see good attacking football (we were not getting this with slade) we then had Trollope and looked doomed still cutting wages no ambition again, think floating fans by now found something else to do Saturday afternoons.
The fans are there as they turned up for the cheap deals this season . Honestly I thought attendances would have improved by now, the tickets are cheap, but floaters still not getting the bug back to come regularly again. I think Sunderland game was better than i expected attendance wise with way crowds have been this season with the fact we lost 4 in a row and early kick-off and sky (should have been more) . Don't know what else the club can do other than get promoted to improve attendances tbh

Absolutely nailed it!! Look at Wolves now!! A few years back their crowds were poor! Last 2 season they've been building and again this season they've made big signings!

It generates the excitement that turns into ticket sales! E.g. when we made 8 signins including Bellamy!

We all love Warnock but again his brand of football isn't electrifying. With all the injuries etc. He's had to grind out results. If you were watching the Hull/Preston game for example as a floating fan you wouldn't be queuing for a ticket.

As the season moves on and prizes start to be given out, then if we're still pushing for top 2, crowds will go up!!

IF we get Man City at home it will be a sell out.

IF we are in the prem next year we would average 30,000 minimum!

Tan is an excuse not to come not the a reason for the Majority! This is proven by the big crowds in the prem!

If Tan got his check book out and spend 50mil on exciting signings I can guarantee it would have an influence!

I think we're obsessed with this issue! We're a small club with big poetential that if we got prolonged success then the catchment area of South Wales is huge! There's nothing wrong with that!

The away support maybe had been hit harder by the rebrand as that's more your hardcore but also cost of fuel tickets etc. Will also be a reason!
Nickoblue23

Postby DandoCCFC » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:28 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Reply Twitter

Rod Young

@Bluebeetle1927

Replying to @AnnisAbraham

Rod Young:
The club is guilty of doing very little, in terms of initiatives to drum up new support, and encourage lapsed supporters. No good emailing, tweeting and facebooking existing fans as they’re attending anyway!

Alright is he. :lol: :lol:

Sounds like a plastic.
I will.
And before anyone els gets in there no im not an ideot abroad

SL69.
DandoCCFC

Postby Norman146 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:54 pm

darran1927 wrote:Crowds should be higher, I don't believe it's all down Tan, as crowds were still high when he rebranded us. I believe it's down to the fact that some fans were there in hope we would get promoted last few seasons (before relegation from premiership) and wanted to be there for when we did . Well we've done it now and think the novelty has worn off with some fans. I accept that some fans stopped going because of tan but they would have stopped season we rebranded (and attendances were still high then).

We had relegation and that's when attendances started to decline. We had OGS for a bit when relegated then this is where I believe problems started. We didn't sign a named manager (slade)and show any ambition, it looked like the club were happy to stay in the championship and slades negative boring football didn't help. Slade in his press conferences stated we were "no longer shopping in Harrods " and were getting rid of any players with value. The club had to trim wage bill from years of overspending(which needed to happen) but this will put the floating fan off attending. As fans want to see good attacking football (we were not getting this with slade) we then had Trollope and looked doomed still cutting wages no ambition again, think floating fans by now found something else to do Saturday afternoons.
The fans are there as they turned up for the cheap deals this season . Honestly I thought attendances would have improved by now, the tickets are cheap, but floaters still not getting the bug back to come regularly again. I think Sunderland game was better than i expected attendance wise with way crowds have been this season with the fact we lost 4 in a row and early kick-off and sky (should have been more) . Don't know what else the club can do other than get promoted to improve attendances tbh

This is it in a nutshell. What really killed attendances was the treading water years of Slade with transfer embargoes and no ambition.

Whatever the attendance says on the tannoy there is definitely a good 4/5000 more to the naked eye on average than in those years as I can remember two games specifically Brighton at home when we won 4-1 in the pissing rain and Ipswich home the same day as Wales v England when there may only have been 10,000 at a push although officially about 12,000.

I agree that Warnock and players deserve better attendances of at least 20'000 but not too dispirited about it as club and attendances are on the up and will only improve more if we can keep in autos/play offs. Think general public not regulars have had a negative impression of club for while since rebrand/relegation/Slade/Trollope and takes a while to shift, so floating fans haven't quite bought into how well we are doing.
Norman146

Postby bluebird58 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:57 pm

A lot of people bought season tickets so that they could go to the Cup Final.

Ridsdale’s offer of a season ticket price freeze coincided with an up turn in the fortunes of the club. It was a good offer, even if the money wasn’t used as we expected. So the people who originally bought season tickets so that they could just go to the Cup final renewed.

We challenged for promotion for a number of years and finally achieved it. Then we started losing at a time when the price freeze ended, so the 5 or 6 thousand extra gained during the glory years left us again. They didn’t want to watch us lose. That’s the younger generation for you. They don’t like it when they can’t have their own way.

Ironically, the crowds were bigger because of the shady dealings of Ridsdale. Very little blame goes to Mr Tan in my opinion. A return to the Premier League will soon bring back the missing thousands.
First game Cardiff v Coventry City 1967
bluebird58

Postby Jules » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:08 am

Forever Blue wrote:Reply FB

Neil O'Mara:

Unfortunately . Damaged due to tan and his clan .lost at least 4 thousand season ticket holders because of all the messing about .but if we get through to play man city watch all the assholes who didn't go to our home game rushing for tickets :evil: :evil:

so by calling people assholes or plastics will get them back, aye right.
Be telling us all next you've been to Hartlepool on a wet and windy Tuesday.
I might go if we get through to face Man City so does that make me a plastic or asshole as I haven't got a ST this year.
Keeping the Faith since '74.
Jules

Postby stentona » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:17 am

Going back to the original post which made interesting reading, a comparison of kick off times would have made it even more compelling. Personally I think a whole range of factors have contributed to our attendance downfall. Visual marketing is my beef. There hardly seems to be anything anywhere in South Wales (and I travel all over).
stentona

Postby wez1927 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:35 am

Pencoed wrote:The fact 3 of are last 4 games being on tv make a difference. I'm a season ticket holder but due to work family it's been so much easier to watch them in the house. If they hadn't been on TV I would of had to go down.

Plastic :lol:
CARDIFF CITY TILL I DIE !
wez1927

Postby pembroke allan » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:09 pm

What's a joke about all the threads on crowds is fact that rebrand is a (reason) for not going but financial cost, domestic reasons, sky ko times etc etc are (excuses) yet people then say get to premier fans will be back is that just the financial domestic or sky fans! And not rebrand ones?
pembroke allan

Postby Cantonblu » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:17 pm

A bit concerning that fans have been saying they don't give a damn about seeing good opposition down here e.g. Man city then why on earth are we fighting to get promoted to the prem?
Cantonblu

Postby Forever Blue » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:20 pm

Cantonblu wrote:A bit concerning that fans have saying they don't want to see good opposition down here e.g. Man city then why on earth are we fighting to get promoted to the prem?

What I was saying to Wez, I will watch Cardiff City wether it be Rochdale or Man City, I don't care who the opposition as I watch City No matter who they play :thumbright: :bluebird:
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Postby 1980s Bluebird » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:24 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Cantonblu wrote:A bit concerning that fans have saying they don't want to see good opposition down here e.g. Man city then why on earth are we fighting to get promoted to the prem?

What I was saying to Wez, I will watch Cardiff City wether it be Rochdale or Man City, I don't care who the opposition as I watch City No matter who they play :thumbright: :bluebird:

Same here really Premier or League 2 will still watch but I am all for the FA Cup it adds interest and as previously mentioned it was those FA Cup games as a kid that always gave me a buzz and that I have tried to pass on to my grandson.
1980s Bluebird

Postby Forever Blue » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:47 pm

1980s Bluebird wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Same here really Premier or League 2 will still watch but I am all for the FA Cup it adds interest and as previously mentioned it was those FA Cup games as a kid that always gave me a buzz and that I have tried to pass on to my grandson.

Spot on :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby actionman » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:14 pm

After the rebrand, fans stayed because we looked like and did get promotion. Once we were relegated, they left and blamed the rebrand. If we were still in the premier League, everyone would have stayed on the bandwagon
actionman

Postby skiprat » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:16 pm

Speak for yourself I stopped going when we went red. I returned when we returned to blue.
skiprat

Postby pezza4646 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:38 am

To be honest, I haven't even thought of Tan this season .
Yes we are 3rd in table
Crowd average is down... A few reasons I believe is
1. Most fans pissed off with the past !!
2. Stupid kick off times
3. UNATTRACTIVE Football, some want good entertainment.... Personally a WIN is a WIN
I've left the ground early once this season NOT because we were shit... Traveling was a nightmare to get home, over the Xmas the Fulham game
In the table shown the attendance was down over the Xmas time which I would expect with money
POSITIVE the Club ARE Trying their best to get support back
The Club have ALSO made the attmosphere shocking !!!
My NEGATIVE is SEASON TICKET HOLDERS... DO NOT get a decent DEAL when the. Club gives cheaper tickets out
Example...you get 4 cheap tickets to give out....that's nothing for ME, Drinks & Food deals at ground, beer not the best.
YES they frozen the season ticket... That's the only benefit for ME

THATS MY OPINION.... And I be getting a season ticket again next season
RANT OVER...and get behind the boys.. needed to get that out of the system
pezza4646

Postby wez1927 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:18 am

pezza4646 wrote:To be honest, I haven't even thought of Tan this season .
Yes we are 3rd in table
Crowd average is down... A few reasons I believe is
1. Most fans pissed off with the past !!
2. Stupid kick off times
3. UNATTRACTIVE Football, some want good entertainment.... Personally a WIN is a WIN
I've left the ground early once this season NOT because we were shit... Traveling was a nightmare to get home, over the Xmas the Fulham game
In the table shown the attendance was down over the Xmas time which I would expect with money
POSITIVE the Club ARE Trying their best to get support back
The Club have ALSO made the attmosphere shocking !!!
My NEGATIVE is SEASON TICKET HOLDERS... DO NOT get a decent DEAL when the. Club gives cheaper tickets out
Example...you get 4 cheap tickets to give out....that's nothing for ME, Drinks & Food deals at ground, beer not the best.
YES they frozen the season ticket... That's the only benefit for ME

THATS MY OPINION.... And I be getting a season ticket again next season
RANT OVER...and get behind the boys.. needed to get that out of the system

Crowds average are up compared to the last few season
CARDIFF CITY TILL I DIE !
wez1927

Postby 1980s Bluebird » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:22 pm

skiprat wrote:Plastic or not the only way city will get respectable crowds is to get to the premier league and STAY there .the lower leagues is done and dusted .god knows we've bumped around for ever getting no where .ye I know we've had play offs and cup finals but the sad facts remains we haven't won a major trophy for 91 years and only spent 16 years in the top flight in our entire history.you don't build a fanbase on failure.look at wolves probably going up for their 64th season in the top flight to be joined by I believe villa,105 seasons and derby 65 seasons in the top division.

Have to agree with that only continued success will improve the crowds I guess :bluebird:
1980s Bluebird

Postby Forever Blue » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:27 pm

1980s Bluebird wrote:
skiprat wrote:Plastic or not the only way city will get respectable crowds is to get to the premier league and STAY there .the lower leagues is done and dusted .god knows we've bumped around for ever getting no where .ye I know we've had play offs and cup finals but the sad facts remains we haven't won a major trophy for 91 years and only spent 16 years in the top flight in our entire history.you don't build a fanbase on failure.look at wolves probably going up for their 64th season in the top flight to be joined by I believe villa,105 seasons and derby 65 seasons in the top division.

Have to agree with that only continued success will improve the crowds I guess :bluebird:

Since the year 2000 City on the field have had only one relegation, three promotions, four Wembley appearances. Championship Winners, League Cup Finalists, New Stadium etc

That’s not bad in recent years :thumbright:

We have a major problem, Away crowds awful, home crowds struggling, Warnock, Tan, Vince, Club all very worried and rightfully so.

This season City for nearly Six months have never been out of the Top Three of the Championship, yet many crowds are 15,000, 16,000, 17,0000 and 18,000.

Season ticket prices have come down.

Away Support has increase coming to the Cardiff City Stadium.

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby maccydee » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:42 pm

Great set of stats but as Ian tries to point out it is rebrand related in no way does it actually back that up.

Our average crowds actually went up for the 2012/13 season (first season after you know what).

22,998 that year which is a lot more than this year when we are in a similar position at the top of the Championship.

So if we lost 4,000 fans due to the rebrand it certainly wasn't the actual season we rebranded.

In fact the year after 2013/14 it went up again to 27,429 but of course that was because of the Premiership.

The following year 2014/15 (half a season in red in the Championship) it was 21,123 so a drop from the previous two seasons. We finished 11th that year.

The following year 2015/16 (in blue all year) we finished 8th and we had an average crowd for the year of 16,463.
maccydee

Postby Forever Blue » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:44 pm

Neil, u put on FB u were bored of all this and yr on every topic regarding crowds :lol:

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby maccydee » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:01 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Neil, u put on FB u were bored of all this and yr on every topic regarding crowds :lol:

I am bored of it mate but as I have told you when I see bullshit I have to respond.

To be fair you haven't said anything about 4000 for a while and I think you are just genuinely upset at the lack of crowds for when they should be higher.

I have updated my stats post with new figures to counter act the post that was put up supposedly supporting that the rebrand cost us fans (which I don't actually doubt just it was far lower than said). I even made it colours for Ian.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=193463
maccydee

Postby Forever Blue » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:04 pm

maccydee wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:Neil, u put on FB u were bored of all this and yr on every topic regarding crowds :lol:

I am bored of it mate but as I have told you when I see bullshit I have to respond.

To be fair you haven't said anything about 4000 for a while and I think you are just genuinely upset at the lack of crowds for when they should be higher.

I have updated my stats post with new figures to counter act the post that was put up supposedly supporting that the rebrand cost us fans (which I don't actually doubt just it was far lower than said). I even made it colours for Ian.

Neil, Your right there :thumbright: :thumbright: , it has upset me about how low our crowds are and hurts me, I get fed up of defending us to other clubs fans, I hate them sneering at us :cry:

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby maccydee » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:05 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
maccydee wrote:

Neil, Your right there :thumbright: :thumbright: , it has upset me about how low our crowds are and hurts me, I get fed up of defending us to other clubs fans, I hate them sneering at us :cry:

If you pay me I will get stats for all current Championship clubs over the same period.

Imagine the hits that would get.
maccydee

Previous

Return to General Chat