Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" SUNDERLAND TO APPEAL NDONG RED CARD "

Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:56 pm

Sunderland to appeal Didier Ndong red card against Cardiff City
By Giuseppe Labellarte

Sunday 14th December 2018

Sunderland have decided to appeal the red card shown to Didier Ndong in the Black Cats' 4-0 defeat to Cardiff City on Saturday.

The midfielder was sent off four minutes into the second half for a reckless challenge on Junior Hoilett shortly after the Bluebirds had broken the deadlock.

Sunderland boss Chris Coleman admitted after the game that Ndong gave the referee "a decision to make" following his dismissal.

However, the Championship strugglers have now appealed and will hope that the Gabon international can avoid a three-match ban.

As it stands, Ndong would miss crucial relegation six-pointers against Hull City at Birmingham City, as well as a home game against Ipswich Town.

Sunderland remain bottom of the Championship table with just four wins from 27 games.

Re: SUNDERLAND TO APPEAL NDONG RED CARD

Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:59 pm

I have to say (after watching several times) he was a little unlucky to get a straight red but I don't think it will be rescinded on appeal

Still, nothing ventured...and it won't affect us! ;) :ayatollah:

Re: SUNDERLAND TO APPEAL NDONG RED CARD

Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:56 pm

Sven wrote:I have to say (after watching several times) he was a little unlucky to get a straight red but I don't think it will be rescinded on appeal

Still, nothing ventured...and it won't affect us! ;) :ayatollah:

Agree the only reason he landed on city's players leg was the fact his foot landed on ball 1st and slipped not deliberate & not really dangerous until then! Can go either way an appeal.

Re: " SUNDERLAND TO APPEAL NDONG RED CARD "

Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:52 pm

I think it should be rescinded.

Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:01 pm

Having watched the replay, I think he was a shade unlucky as there was no apparent intent.

Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:29 pm

Very harsh. If it was ours I wouldn’t be happy at all

Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:53 pm

Good, I hope they win their appeal. I wouldn't have even given a foul, nevermind a straight red. Ridiculous decision by yet another poor official. Good luck Sunderland.

Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:03 am

Don't see what you lot are all seeing! If Hoilett didn't ride the tackle then a broken leg was a highly likely outcome. Gone over the top of the ball with studs showing, you're never going to get away with them these days. Was as much a red card as Bogle's vs Bristol City.

Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:39 am

Nowhere in the rules does it say “if he intentionally tried to hurt the player it’s red otherwise it’s ok” so why does intent come into people’s judgement of it?

SERIOUS FOUL PLAY

A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play.

Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play

Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:03 am

Agree with NyeBluebird foot was above the ball so was always running the risk of breaking someone’s leg, deffo red for me.

Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:24 am

Looking at it in real time its a red all day.With the hindsight of slow-mo they may be lenient but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:34 am

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:Good, I hope they win their appeal. I wouldn't have even given a foul, nevermind a straight red. Ridiculous decision by yet another poor official. Good luck Sunderland.

Wouldn't like to play against you if you even thought it was not a foul

Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:21 am

1980s Bluebird wrote:
Tonteg Bluebird wrote:Good, I hope they win their appeal. I wouldn't have even given a foul, nevermind a straight red. Ridiculous decision by yet another poor official. Good luck Sunderland.

Wouldn't like to play against you if you even thought it was not a foul

His studs were clearly facing the ball and not on the ground when he made the tackle, and there is always a chance of following through and catching the player. Not sure if it warranted a red card, I don't think there was any deliberate intention there, but as someone has already pointed out, intention is not part of the rule regarding dangerous play. I would have been disappointed to have been sent off for that tackle, but I don't think they will win their appeal. The ref obviously deemed it dangerous, but I can see the argument from both sides.