Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

RYAN GIGGS DID ALL THE CHASING / BELLS FANTASTIC INTERVIEW

Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:32 am

RYAN GIGGS DID THE CHASING TO BE WELSH BOSS

By Chris Wathan

Monday 15th Jan 2018

The big difference this time is that it’s been Ryan Giggs who has done the chasing.

Though he claimed at one stage he had not been in contact with the FAW over the vacancy,

it’s understood Giggs registered his interest in the job the very same night it was confirmed Coleman has resigned ahead of taking the Sunderland job!

We understand he has landed the job despite Craig Bellamy giving what is being dubbed 'a Hollywood interview' which made the final decision the tightest of calls.

Bellamy is said to have wowed the FAW's seven-man panel conducting the new manager hunt with a hugely impressive Powerpoint presentation demonstrating his vision for Welsh football. He is also reported to have received support from dressing room superstars Gareth Bale and Aaron Ramsey.

Giggs was given the nod by a narrow margin and FAW chief executive Jonathan Ford was negotiating with the Wales and Manchester United legend over the weekend to nail down the terms of the contract.

Re: RYAN GIGGS DID ALL THE CHASING / BELLS FANTASTIC INTERVI

Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:27 am

Not like the FAW to go against the grain and very reminiscent of a certain club owner wanting a 'big name manager' at all costs not too long ago, eh? ;)

Seems the decision was pretty much made beforehand but Craig put the cat amongst the pigeons :(

Gutted for Craig Bellamy but, if true, it is what is is and the Wales supporters must get behind Giggs and give him a chance. He'll live or die (proverbially) by what he does next; particularly if the whispers Bale and Ramsey had a preference for Craig are correct

Sure to be denials of the latter and "we're in this together and will support the manger" messages to follow and the simple truth is, that is all they can do

The Wales supporters must follow suit. It's in everyones interests and he may just carry on the good work started by John Toshack, improved by Garry Speed and harvested by Chris Coleman! :thumbup: :ayatollah:

Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:42 am

Never liked Giggs, comes across as dull as dish water, poor appointment by FAW especially when Bellers had dressing room backing.

Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:42 am

I think Giggs is the less riskier appointment, love Bellamy as a City player, but have my doubts over his temperament as a manager, especially in his first job and to be honest with the profile Giggs brings with him, the Welsh FA, would be insane not to give him an opportunity.

Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:47 am

Sven wrote:Not like the FAW to go against the grain and very reminiscent of a certain club owner wanting a 'big name manager' at all costs not too long ago, eh? ;)

Seems the decision was pretty much made beforehand but Craig put the cat amongst the pigeons :(

Gutted for Craig Bellamy but, if true, it is what is is and the Wales supporters must get behind Giggs and give him a chance. He'll live or die (proverbially) by what he does next; particularly if the whispers Bale and Ramsey had a preference for Craig are correct

Sure to be denials of the latter and "we're in this together and will support the manger" messages to follow and the simple truth is, that is all they can do

The Wales supporters must follow suit. It's in everyones interests and he may just carry on the good work started by John Toshack, improved by Garry Speed and harvested by Chris Coleman! :thumbup: :ayatollah:

Spot On :thumbright:

I personally wouldn't read a lot into the Bale/Ramsay thing, Gareth Bale rated Giggs higher than Christian Ronaldo so he must have some respect for him.

Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:55 am

People question gigs experience but hughes had none! In Bellers case people talk of his passion but does that make a good manager?
Gigs obviously was passionate enough to chase faw for job! Bellers did a great power point presentation does that make him a good manager? At end day both have qualities and only time will tell if giggs is any good same would apply to bellers if given job.

Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:01 pm

pembroke allan wrote:People question gigs experience but hughes had none! In Bellers case people talk of his passion but does that make a good manager?
Gigs obviously was passionate enough to chase faw for job! Bellers did a great power point presentation does that make him a good manager? At end day both have qualities and only time will tell if giggs is any good same would apply to bellers if given job.

i think its more the enthusiasm (or lack of) for his country that people are annoyed with.

Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:08 pm

Sven wrote:Not like the FAW to go against the grain and very reminiscent of a certain club owner wanting a 'big name manager' at all costs not too long ago, eh? ;)

Let's hope your right Chris, it's not great that this appointment is going to leave a bad taste in most fans when it should be celebrated!!

Will Giggs travel the country doing one to one Q and A sessions as did Coleman did when he first started?

Be interesting to see that one.

Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:17 pm

paulh_85 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:People question gigs experience but hughes had none! In Bellers case people talk of his passion but does that make a good manager?

i think its more the enthusiasm (or lack of) for his country that people are annoyed with.

64 caps is not bad for a player who was injured a lot early in his career and not referring to friendlies either but at club level ffs he even turned to yoga to try help his injury problems, Think people should read reason why he didn't do friendlies ? not all players can play 3 games a week

Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:20 pm

Pulisnewport wrote:

Let's hope your right Chris, it's not great that this appointment is going to leave a bad taste in most fans when it should be celebrated!!

Will Giggs travel the country doing one to one Q and A sessions as did Coleman did when he first started?

Karl, it will be interesting and I really hope it works for the sake of Welsh international football and its stakeholders

It certainly seems that the decision was effectively made by the members before the interviews were held but (as they say) the proof of the pudding will be in the eating and I really hope it works out, despite my reservations on the man (not the player) himself

'Dogfound' will be creaming himself right now. He thinks Giggs has/can done no wrong! :thumbright: :ayatollah:

Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:30 pm

Sven wrote:
Pulisnewport wrote:

Karl, it will be interesting and I really hope it works for the sake of Welsh international football and its stakeholders

It certainly seems that the decision was effectively made by the members before the interviews were held but (as they say) the proof of the pudding will be in the eating and I really hope it works out, despite my reservations on the man (not the player) himself

'Dogfound' will be creaming himself right now. He thinks Giggs has/can done no wrong! :thumbright: :ayatollah:

Chris, I see the rumblings have started he's bringing Scholes or his other cronies with him.

If that happens Roberts will go!!!

We are just fans so will have to suck it up and get on with it. I can't see Giggs doing any sessions with supporters his image won't allow for it.

Hmm dogfart!! Giggs done nothing wrong??

What's he done right????

Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:34 pm

The talent Giggs had as a player, he should be idolised in Wales but it seems he is not, a lot of that is down to him I think, time will tell if he makes a success of the Wales job, I hope he does well and if he does peoples opinions may change, if he doesn't he will soon be a target of the Boo boys. Wonder what his brother thinks.

Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:35 pm

The right choice for me.

Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:42 pm

What happens for the friendlies (perhaps not China as that includes long travel journeys) - how can he insist with any sincerity that Player A or B, turn up ?

When he never did the same until he was made Captain ?

He never actually bust a gut on the pitch for Wales when he did actually play.

Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:07 pm

Just because you played for a big club don't automatically make you good a manager, solskjaer proved that in charge of us, it takes a special breed and unfortunately for me Giggs has'nt got it.

Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:10 pm

pontyclunblue wrote:The talent Giggs had as a player, he should be idolised in Wales but it seems he is not, a lot of that is down to him I think, time will tell if he makes a success of the Wales job, I hope he does well and if he does peoples opinions may change, if he doesn't he will soon be a target of the Boo boys. Wonder what his brother thinks.

What's his brother got to do with it?

Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:10 pm

Cantonblu wrote:Just because you played for a big club don't automatically make you good a manager, solskjaer proved that in charge of us, it takes a special breed and unfortunately for me Giggs has'nt got it.

So who is the right choice? who is the good manager with the experience ready to jump in?

Its not the perfect appointment, everyone linked has pluses and minuses. At least Giggs has experience as a coach at a good level.

Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:11 pm

barry boy wrote:What happens for the friendlies (perhaps not China as that includes long travel journeys) - how can he insist with any sincerity that Player A or B, turn up ?

When he never did the same until he was made Captain ?

He never actually bust a gut on the pitch for Wales when he did actually play.

He will be there for China as it is only a short trip to Vietnam and his other role :thumbright:

Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:24 pm

This is the worst appointment ever, just because he is a big name and the FAW want a Welshman for the job, whether or not he is any good, the FAW are a bunch if stick in the mud old fogies. As much as I hate saying it, i hope the FAW have dropped one of their biggest bolluxes and they lose loads of money when Welsh fans stop attending games. There are some excellent managers/coaches out there, the trouble is they are not Welsh :thumbup:

Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:29 pm

Igovernor wrote:This is the worst appointment ever, just because he is a big name and the FAW want a Welshman for the job, whether or not he is any good, the FAW are a bunch if stick in the mud old fogies. As much as I hate saying it, i hope the FAW have dropped one of their biggest bolluxes and they lose loads of money when Welsh fans stop attending games. There are some excellent managers/coaches out there, the trouble is they are not Welsh :thumbup:

Then if they don't turn up more chance for others to get tickets :thumbright:

I think one of the biggest mistakes has been not so much the appointment but the fact that he did his coaching badges through the FA and those who did them through the FAW have been rejected, probably not a big thing but surely it says something that they have gone potentially for the name rather than the right person (I dont include Bellamy in that list either). Big fan of Osian but in his role now, Trollope is a great number two but looked what happened when in the headlights! :ayatollah:

Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:51 pm

Wolfpac wrote:Never liked Giggs, comes across as dull as dish water, poor appointment by FAW especially when Bellers had dressing room backing.

Come on is this a real post? " poor appointment" he hasn't even had a training session yet never mind a Competitive match but you've deemed it a poor appointment.

Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:15 pm

WelshPatriot wrote:
Wolfpac wrote:Never liked Giggs, comes across as dull as dish water, poor appointment by FAW especially when Bellers had dressing room backing.

Come on is this a real post? " poor appointment" he hasn't even had a training session yet never mind a Competitive match but you've deemed it a poor appointment.

Why does missing friendlies make him a poor choice? Commited himself to 64 caps which is more than coleman and only 13 other players with more caps. :roll:

Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:22 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
WelshPatriot wrote:

Why does missing friendlies make him a poor choice? Commited himself to 64 caps which is more than coleman and only 13 other players with more caps. :roll:

Fair question, I believe but how many caps could/should it have been, Allan? :?

And since when did players 'commit' themselves to international football? :?

Aren't they selected on (some sort of) merit and take it as an honour? :?

Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:44 pm

Sven wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
WelshPatriot wrote:

In giggs case he could have played for England As played youth football for them so yes committed to play for Wales which conveniently forgotten by people. As for caps at present only 13 players with more than him and even coleman had less! You only get as many caps as games you are picked for! Lots players should have had more caps but didn't that's football :thumbup:

Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:54 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
Sven wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
WelshPatriot wrote:

In giggs case he could have played for England As played youth football for them so yes committed to play for Wales which conveniently forgotten by people. As for caps at present only 13 players with more than him and even coleman had less! You only get as many caps as games you are picked for! Lots players should have had more caps but didn't that's football :thumbup:

wrong again :thumbup:

Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:03 pm

paulh_85 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Sven wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
WelshPatriot wrote:

Half wrong as did play for England boys! :thumbup: :wave:

Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:03 pm

paulh_85 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Sven wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
WelshPatriot wrote:

I think this argument has cropped up before. I don't believe Giggs was ever eligible to play for anyone other than Wales at the time he was first capped. I think the rules have changed since. He would'nt have been my choice for Wales manager, but there is a long list of players over the years who have represented Wales, and only 16 players have more Welsh caps than Giggs. I think Ferguson probably had a big influence when it came to Giggs playing friendlies for Wales.

Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:06 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Sven wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
WelshPatriot wrote:

I think this argument has cropped up before. I don't believe Giggs was ever eligible to play for anyone other than Wales at the time he was first capped. I think the rules have changed since. He would'nt have been my choice for Wales manager, but there is a long list of players over the years who have represented Wales, and only 16 players have more Welsh caps than Giggs. I think Ferguson probably had a big influence when it came to Giggs playing friendlies for Wales.

No he couldn't play for anyone else as I've been reminded because your right rules different when played for england in 89! :old:

Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:21 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Sven wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
WelshPatriot wrote:

No he couldn't play for anyone else as I've been reminded because your right rules different when played for england in 89! :old:

He repesented England schools, and I think the only eligibilty requirement to represent England schools was that you had to attend a school in England. I am not 100% on this, but I think nationality was irrelevant, provided you went to school in England you were able to play for the English schoolboy teams. When it came to representing your country at international level, he had no choice in the matter (as far as I am aware).

Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:23 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Sven wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
WelshPatriot wrote:

He repesented England schools, and I think the only eligibilty requirement to represent England schools was that you had to attend a school in England. I am not 100% on this, but I think nationality was irrelevant, provided you went to school in England you were able to play for the English schoolboy teams. When it came to representing your country at international level, he had no choice in the matter (as far as I am aware).

correct