Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: RYAN GIGGS DID ALL THE CHASING / BELLS FANTASTIC INTERVI

Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:45 pm

That’s what I was led to believe as well, that as he went to school in England,he could play for the English schoolboys team. I think if he was coming through the system now,he could qualify for England on residency grounds, providing you live in that country for 5 years and don’t play international football for anybody else.

Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:52 pm

Giggs and Bellemy both brilliant players but as managers not proven at all .
They both have pedigree in terms of who theyve played under and there own achievements in the game.

BUT as Wales progressed under colemen we got in the top 10 of the world rankings got to the euro quarters made real progress.
I would rather a tested manager to take us forward .
Why at a time when we have full stadiums money coming in and a team to be reckoned with are we putting someone in the hot seat that hasn't managed before.
Its a gamble and a big one if it works great if not all the hard work thats been done could send us back years.
Im not convinced at all .

Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:01 pm

no surprise to me - bellamy shouldn't have even been on the shortlist. sadly pulis had to drop out of the running, but giggs was the best option of a very small bunch.

the wales job launched the managerial careers of both sparky and speed, lets hope giggs can do the same.

Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:04 pm

paulh_85 wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Sven wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
WelshPatriot wrote:
Wolfpac wrote:Never liked Giggs, comes across as dull as dish water, poor appointment by FAW especially when Bellers had dressing room backing.

Come on is this a real post? " poor appointment" he hasn't even had a training session yet never mind a Competitive match but you've deemed it a poor appointment.

Why does missing friendlies make him a poor choice? Commited himself to 64 caps which is more than coleman and only 13 other players with more caps. :roll:

Fair question, I believe but how many caps could/should it have been, Allan? :?

And since when did players 'commit' themselves to international football? :?

Aren't they selected on (some sort of) merit and take it as an honour? :?

In giggs case he could have played for England As played youth football for them so yes committed to play for Wales which conveniently forgotten by people. As for caps at present only 13 players with more than him and even coleman had less! You only get as many caps as games you are picked for! Lots players should have had more caps but didn't that's football :thumbup:

wrong again :thumbup:

I think this argument has cropped up before. I don't believe Giggs was ever eligible to play for anyone other than Wales at the time he was first capped. I think the rules have changed since. He would'nt have been my choice for Wales manager, but there is a long list of players over the years who have represented Wales, and only 16 players have more Welsh caps than Giggs. I think Ferguson probably had a big influence when it came to Giggs playing friendlies for Wales.

No he couldn't play for anyone else as I've been reminded because your right rules different when played for england in 89! :old:

He repesented England schools, and I think the only eligibilty requirement to represent England schools was that you had to attend a school in England. I am not 100% on this, but I think nationality was irrelevant, provided you went to school in England you were able to play for the English schoolboy teams. When it came to representing your country at international level, he had no choice in the matter (as far as I am aware).

correct

This is correct and not many people are aware that his name was Ryan Wilson at the time.

Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:14 pm

Lots keen to stick the knife in already

He's not ideal imo but the Welsh FA decided it was a Welsh manager and therefore we had little to choose from

Two unproven managers in Giggs and Bellamy as top candidates

A dinosaur in Pulis who imo would never get the best out of the crop we have

A recently sacked Hughes who failed when we should have qualified in 2004 so for me of the two top candidates despite reservations about Giggs as a person or the commitment as a player (64 caps isn't bad) then he is arguably the better choice

Had the Welsh FA gone away from the Welsh born manager then there'd have been many better options surely but as things stand experience wise coaching etc then Giggs surely the sensible option

Has he got a tough task of course we have players ageing in key positions and it's time like ToshackI did to start making some bold decisions going forward maybe some have one more decent campaign in them but how long do you wait before bringing new blood in again and more importantly what do we have behind talent wise to replace those possibly departing over next 2/4 years

Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:52 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
Sven wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
WelshPatriot wrote:
Wolfpac wrote:Never liked Giggs, comes across as dull as dish water, poor appointment by FAW especially when Bellers had dressing room backing.

Come on is this a real post? " poor appointment" he hasn't even had a training session yet never mind a Competitive match but you've deemed it a poor appointment.

Why does missing friendlies make him a poor choice? Commited himself to 64 caps which is more than coleman and only 13 other players with more caps. :roll:

In giggs case he could have played for England As played youth football for them so yes committed to play for Wales which conveniently forgotten by people. As for caps at present only 13 players with more than him and even coleman had less! You only get as many caps as games you are picked for! Lots players should have had more caps but didn't that's football :thumbup:

Totally agree and at such a young age he could have taken the easy option and been the the super star like Beckham, but no he chose Wales because he is loyal to his Country, Blame Sir Alex for him not showing for Friendlies games :bluescarf:

Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:58 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Sven wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
WelshPatriot wrote:

wrong again :thumbup:

I think this argument has cropped up before. I don't believe Giggs was ever eligible to play for anyone other than Wales at the time he was first capped. I think the rules have changed since. He would'nt have been my choice for Wales manager, but there is a long list of players over the years who have represented Wales, and only 16 players have more Welsh caps than Giggs. I think Ferguson probably had a big influence when it came to Giggs playing friendlies for Wales.

No he couldn't play for anyone else as I've been reminded because your right rules different when played for england in 89! :old:

He repesented England schools, and I think the only eligibilty requirement to represent England schools was that you had to attend a school in England. I am not 100% on this, but I think nationality was irrelevant, provided you went to school in England you were able to play for the English schoolboy teams. When it came to representing your country at international level, he had no choice in the matter (as far as I am aware).

Correct, he could have only played for Wales at senior international level. Likewise he could only have played for England at schools level as he attended an English school.

Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:19 pm

Didn’t Giggs move north because his father transferred to rugby league from union? Giggs did not choose Wales, he had no choice.

Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:51 pm

Sven wrote:Not like the FAW to go against the grain and very reminiscent of a certain club owner wanting a 'big name manager' at all costs not too long ago, eh? ;)

Seems the decision was pretty much made beforehand but Craig put the cat amongst the pigeons :(

Gutted for Craig Bellamy but, if true, it is what is is and the Wales supporters must get behind Giggs and give him a chance. He'll live or die (proverbially) by what he does next; particularly if the whispers Bale and Ramsey had a preference for Craig are correct

Sure to be denials of the latter and "we're in this together and will support the manger" messages to follow and the simple truth is, that is all they can do

The Wales supporters must follow suit. It's in everyones interests and he may just carry on the good work started by John Toshack, improved by Garry Speed and harvested by Chris Coleman! :thumbup: :ayatollah:

FAW consulted the players in particular Bale and Willians and they backed all 3 candidates for the job.

Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:01 am

noisycat wrote:Didn’t Giggs move north because his father transferred to rugby league from union? Giggs did not choose Wales, he had no choice.

However, he has chosen to become the manager of Wales :D

Best of luck to him I'll judge him on results rather than any nonsense about his commitment :roll:

Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:11 am

Makes me laugh hardly turned up for the welsh games not like Hughes,Speed etc come rain or shine he was always injured for the national games but managed to be fit for united......and now all of a sudden he patrotic.

Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:07 pm

Cantonblu wrote:Makes me laugh hardly turned up for the welsh games not like Hughes,Speed etc come rain or shine he was always injured for the national games but managed to be fit for united......and now all of a sudden he patrotic.

Hughes only had 8 more caps, hardly the difference of someone who never turns up and someone who always turns up :lol:

Other Candiattes interviewed
John Hartson :lol: 13 less caps than Giggs
Craig Bellamy 14 more caps than Giggs
Osian Roberts 0 Caps
Mark Bowen 25 less caps than Giggs

Oh and 32 more caps than Coleman our previous managers.

Not sure any of that makes anyone a better manager than the other but I don't think it suggests he never turned up.

Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:18 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
Cantonblu wrote:Makes me laugh hardly turned up for the welsh games not like Hughes,Speed etc come rain or shine he was always injured for the national games but managed to be fit for united......and now all of a sudden he patrotic.

Hughes only had 8 more caps, hardly the difference of someone who never turns up and someone who always turns up :lol:

Osian Roberts 0 Caps

Not sure any of that makes anyone a better manager than the other but I don't think it suggests he never turned up.

FairPlay #stats

Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:24 pm

2blue2handle wrote:

Osian Roberts 0 Caps

You can usually use stats to suit one side of an argument. If you use John Hartson as an example, his international career was 6 years shorter than Giggs, and there was another major difference between them as well, Giggs was not absolute crap.

Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:50 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:

Osian Roberts 0 Caps

You can usually use stats to suit one side of an argument. If you use John Hartson as an example, his international career was 6 years shorter than Giggs, and there was another major difference between them as well, Giggs was not absolute crap.

Of course you can but if people are talking about how he hardly turned up and comparing caps to the others who were supposed to have been interviewed is more than fair in my opinion.

Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:42 pm

2blue2handle wrote:

Osian Roberts 0 Caps

Completely irrelevent stats

Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:56 pm

there are clearly question marks over his ability now to get people playing friendlies, but i don't see that being a huge issue now that there is a good team spirit and players want to turn up.

bellamy showed more commitment but IMO would make a much worse manager. roberts has no pedigree or management experience and neither does bowen.

it wasn't the best panel to choose from but he's the best of an average bunch IMO.

Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:26 pm

paulh_85 wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:

Osian Roberts 0 Caps

Totally agree, just like most people's arguments against him.

Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:32 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:

Osian Roberts 0 Caps

Totally agree, just like most people's arguments against him.

not at all. people are pointing to the amount of games hes missed, not played.

little to do with what far inferior players did