Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Should Bale take advise from Giggs?

Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:41 pm

Been thinking about this and how Giggs always pulled out of friendlies seems to be a big issue for many fans. Both players wingers who like to run at pace, both get/got regular injuries which I think it’s quite normal for the type of player.

However was Giggs right? He ended up playing into his 40’s and still managed to rack up a healthy amount of caps, clearly the rest and fewer games helped him.

My question considering the number injuries Bale is getting (and they seem to be more and more frequent) is this something Wales should be looking at for him? Do we really need to play someone like Bale in pointless friendly games? is it doing him more long term harm than good?

Re: Should Bale take advise from Giggs?

Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:31 pm

No we shouldn't be playing him in pointless friendlies but we should be choosey about what friendlies he does play in! a point I made about giggs earlier is he was injured a lot at club level and playing in friendlies wouldn't help him! Its a balancing act that maybe giggs knows how to handle bale best from experience. :old:

Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:37 pm

no such thing as pointless friendlies anymore anyway

Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:44 pm

paulh_85 wrote:no such thing as pointless friendlies anymore anyway

They are when star players are injured and miss vital games for clubs :thumbup:

Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:45 pm

Interesting point, I don't realty understand the new format tournament thing, whatever it is.

Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:46 pm

2blue2handle wrote:

Interesting point, I don't realty understand the new format tournament thing, whatever it is.

Ditto to that, I was confused just reading it

Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:48 pm

2blue2handle wrote:

Basically results in new taunament help to go towards qualifying for next euros (it replaces friendlies) it's very complicated though :old:
Last edited by pembroke allan on Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:48 pm

Bale has only played 26 minutes of 9 international friendlies so not really that different to giggs.

Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:31 pm

WelshPatriot wrote:Bale has only played 26 minutes of 9 international friendlies so not really that different to giggs.

bales 28 and already played more games than giggs :laughing5:

Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:37 pm

paulh_85 wrote:
WelshPatriot wrote:Bale has only played 26 minutes of 9 international friendlies so not really that different to giggs.

Yes and a lot more than other great players as well! so what's your point? :laughing6:

Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:40 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:

Yes and a lot more than other great players as well! so what's your point? :laughing6:

just the pretty obvious point that giggs isnt exactly a proud welshman and he never has been

Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:47 pm

paulh_85 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:

just the pretty obvious point that giggs isnt exactly a proud welshman and he never has been

so why did he choose play for Wales after playing for England's youth team? Not for the chance to play in world cup that's for sure :thumbup:

Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:51 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:

so why did he choose play for Wales after playing for England's youth team? Not for the chance to play in world cup that's for sure :thumbup:

he didnt play for englands youth team he played for the schoolboys team

wasnt elligble to play for england

Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:09 pm

paulh_85 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:

he didnt play for englands youth team he played for the schoolboys team

wasnt elligble to play for england

Ffs what's difference he played for England OK! :roll:

Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:12 pm

difference is the schoolboy team isnt the same thing

never had a choice to represent england at actual international level

Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:22 pm

paulh_85 wrote:

Irrelevant point international football has changed Wales have play more games now than when giggs played so by rights he will have won more caps.

Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:22 pm

WelshPatriot wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:

Irrelevant point international football has changed Wales have play more games now than when giggs played so by rights he will have won more caps.

whos missed more available games? :sleepy2:

Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:09 pm

Giggs had the choice of playing for England or Wales however he was firmly influenced by the fierce Scotsman Sir Alex to choose Wales, at that time England would have probably won the World Cup with Giggsy and we weren't that great, allowing Sir Alex to pull Giggs from international duty whenever he could and of course damage the "old enemy"

Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:41 pm

Under which rule could be play for England? I can only find firm statements to say he was NEVER eligible?

Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:52 pm

Big difference is that Bale wants to play for Wales and makes himself available even if injured and has to my knowledge only been pulled by RM once!

Giggs on the other hand wanted to play for Man Utd simples.

Bet he's mega happy 4 yr contract at super wages with no experience. As other people have outlined last chance saloon for him. He won't have anywhere to hide with us lot if we lose matches etc.

Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:52 pm

Ryan Giggs could never play for England

He played for England school boys because he went to school in England. He has no English close family member up to grandfather that would qualify him

Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:54 pm

Bellamys barmy army wrote:Ryan Giggs could never play for England

He played for England school boys because he went to school in England. He has no English close family member up to grandfather that would qualify him

Quote by Ryan Giggs

He said i would rather go throughout my whole career without qualifying for a major champinship than play for a country where i wasn't born that's just stupid, the problem arose because i captained England scholl boys it has bugged me all through my playing career, hearing people talk about me being English, both my parents and grandparents are Welsh

He is now the Welsh Manager so support and back him if you are Welsh, i will and my parents were English, and before the insults i was born in Cardiff and support Wales 100% :bluescarf: :ayatollah: :bluebird:

Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:10 pm

Northwalesblues wrote:Giggs had the choice of playing for England or Wales however he was firmly influenced by the fierce Scotsman Sir Alex to choose Wales, at that time England would have probably won the World Cup with Giggsy and we weren't that great, allowing Sir Alex to pull Giggs from international duty whenever he could and of course damage the "old enemy"

No he didn't he could never ever play for England. How is it people still think this despite it being g proven wrong countless times.

Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:11 pm

paulh_85 wrote:
WelshPatriot wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:

whos missed more available games? :sleepy2:

Well given Bale has missed a few who knows he may surpass giggs.

Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:33 pm

Giggs was never qualified to play for England. He was born in Cardiff, and his parents and grandparents were Welsh too.

Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:43 pm

Pulisnewport wrote:Big difference is that Bale wants to play for Wales and makes himself available even if injured and has to my knowledge only been pulled by RM once!

Giggs on the other hand wanted to play for Man Utd simples.

Bet he's mega happy 4 yr contract at super wages with no experience. As other people have outlined last chance saloon for him. He won't have anywhere to hide with us lot if we lose matches etc.

Doubt wages will worry him, he is a millionaire

Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:47 pm

I thought at the time if you were Britishyou could choose any home nation.