Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

“ UPDATED: Cardiff lead the way on Lewis Grabban “

Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:45 pm

Monday 15th January 2018

By Neil Perrett

E42F9A62-CCAA-45E0-84AE-A450A9841F84.jpeg

CHAMPIONSHIP high-fliers Cardiff City are hoping to steal a march on their rivals in the race to sign Cherries striker Lewis Grabban.

Frontman Grabban last week returned to Vitality Stadium after cutting short a productive loan spell with second-tier strugglers Sunderland.

The 29-year-old hit 12 goals in 20 games for the Black Cats before the clubs mutually agreed to terminate his stay on Wearside.

His departure sparked interest from a host of Championship clubs with Wolves, Fulham, Aston Villa, Bristol City and Middlesbrough among them.

However, Cardiff appear to have jumped to the front of the queue having had positive dialogue with Cherries regarding Grabban’s availability.

Cherries are understood to favour securing a permanent move for Grabban, as opposed to a loan deal for the second half of the season.

And Grabban would certainly boost the Bluebirds’ striking resources with Neil Warnock’s team currently third and just two points off an automatic promotion place.

Meanwhile, Cherries winger Mihai Dobre is expected to be a loan target for Rochdale having spent the first half of the season with their fellow League One strugglers Bury.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: “ Latest on Lewis Grabban “

Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:54 pm

Let’s make it happen

Could define our season

Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:59 pm

I have a good feeling on this player.. Similar to frazier Campbell. Might just be the difference we need and someone of proven class to push Zahore to another level too...

Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:17 am

If Neil Warnock can make this happen then I would be pleasantly surprised, it seemed like many other clubs have been the more likely team that Grabban would go to but I'm sure Warnock will try and use his powers of persuasion.

If we can sign Grabban I would be very optimistic of City challenging for top 2.

:bluescarf: :ayatollah: :bluebird:

Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:20 am

I sincerely hope this article is on the money, as this would be one of those signings you would believe almost 'too good to be true' until it came off! :thumbright:

Would be a great addition to our squad and show the club are committed to pushing for one of the top to spots for the remainder of this season...

And with Cameron Jerome looking set to join Ledley County, this would be the far better signing of the two! :ayatollah:

Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:37 am

Sven wrote:I sincerely hope this article is on the money, as this would be one of those signings you would believe almost 'too good to be true' until it came off! :thumbright:

Would be a great addition to our squad and show the club are committed to pushing for one of the top to spots for the remainder of this season...

And with Cameron Jerome looking set to join Ledley County, this would be the far better signing of the two! :ayatollah:

I Agree Chris, thats pretty much exactly how I see it, Jerome would probably command a similar if not as large a wage that Grabban is being paid currently. Jerome being slightly older will see his next club as a place to settle down and see out his playing days whilst getting a goal every now and again.

I hope Grabban will be hungrier than ever and want to prove Bournemouth wrong, I can only see him joining someone that has a serious chance at promotion, I know Wolves would be the obvious choice but I would think that he'd consider the fact that Wolves have a lot of forwards and it would be unlikely that he will be playing every game there.

As someone pointed out Warnock has being keeping all his targets secret and we only knew about Wildschut 24 hours before he was announced. So I doubt we will see anything concrete until the deal is virtually done.

Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:35 am

Won’t happen

Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:02 am

BlueDredd wrote:Won’t happen

It will or it won't...but you certainly cannot make that statement with any certainty at this point; even if you are eventually proven right by default rather than any position of knowledge! :roll:

Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:10 am

TrueBlue99 wrote:
Sven wrote:I sincerely hope this article is on the money, as this would be one of those signings you would believe almost 'too good to be true' until it came off! :thumbright:

I Agree Chris, thats pretty much exactly how I see it, Jerome would probably command a similar if not as large a wage that Grabban is being paid currently. Jerome being slightly older will see his next club as a place to settle down and see out his playing days whilst getting a goal every now and again.

I hope Grabban will be hungrier than ever and want to prove Bournemouth wrong, I can only see him joining someone that has a serious chance at promotion, I know Wolves would be the obvious choice but I would think that he'd consider the fact that Wolves have a lot of forwards and it would be unlikely that he will be playing every game there.

As someone pointed out Warnock has being keeping all his ta I say,rgets secret and we only knew about Wildschut 24 hours before he was announced. So I doubt we will see anything concrete until the deal is virtually done.

Aron, one of us knows what Neil Warnock or the club itself are up to in this Transfer Window, so we can only hope that the better of the reports (like this) are correct. Grabban would indeed be a better addition than Jerome and no one (not even BlueDredd) can predict whether he or anyone else will or ill not sign in this window

But as I said, we can live in hope! :thumbright: :ayatollah:

Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:27 am

12 in 20 for a crap Sunderland side. Could do even better here. Love him to sign.

Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:09 am

Cardiff City lead the way to sign Lewis Grabban following ‘positive dialog’ with Bournemouth – reports

Tuesday 16th Jan 2018

Cardiff City have held talks with Premier League club Bournemouth over the signing of striker Lewis Grabban.

The Bluebirds are hoping to boost their strike force after losing Danny Ward to a long-term injury and Grabban is one of Neil Warnock’s targets.

The 30-year-old recently returned to the South Coast after cutting short a loan spell with Championship strugglers Sunderland, where he netted 12 times in 20 appearances.

Bournemouth are now said to be only interested in selling Grabban, rather than allowing another loan spell, and according to the Bournemouth Echo, the Bluebirds are at the front of the queue.

Grabban has played for number of Championship clubs, including Norwich City and Reading, and his form this season has seen him become a target for a number of clubs.

Reports claim a number of Championship clubs have already declared their interest, but it seem Cardiff are leading the way.

Neil Warnock’s men currently sit in third, just two points behind second placed Derby County and they are in need of reinforcements following an injury crisis.

The Bluebirds currently have just two strikers available, Kenneth Zohore and the inexperienced Omar Bogle.

Grabban could be the man they need to reinstall goals into their game, and according to reports, the Bluebirds have already has ‘positive dialog’ with Bournemouth.

Re: “ Cardiff lead the way on Lewis Grabban “

Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:36 am

Be delighted if we get him!

Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:01 am

Cardiff City open talks with reported Bristol City target

Bristol Post

Tuesday 16th Jan 2018

Bristol City's promotion rivals Cardiff City have made a move to sign AFC Bournemouth striker Lewis Grabban.

The Cherries forward returned from his loan at Sunderland last week after a productive loan spell at the Stadium of Light where he finished with 12 goals in his 20 matches.

The 29-year-old is now set to leave Bournemouth on a permanent basis with Bristol City linked along with Wolves, Fulham, Aston Villa, and Middlesbrough.

However, the Daily Echo report that Cardiff have looked to steal a march after holding positive talks with the Cherries after landing the former Norwich City striker.

Cardiff are currently third in the Championship, two points off Derby in second, and Neil Warnock wants to strengthen his striking resources for the promotion push.

Bournemouth are thought to be looking to sell Grabban while some of the interested clubs are looking for a loan deal for the rest of the season.

Bristol City boss Lee Johnson appeared to hint that he is interested in bringing a striker to Ashton Gate after the Robins 1-0 home defeat to Norwich on Saturday.

He said: “I wouldn’t assume anything to be honest. It’s just that we’re always trying to add quality,"

“We do need a little bit of physicality probably but saying that we’ve got some really good players to come back.

“I’ve said that I’ve got no fears. I love Famara, and the signing that we made there."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:10 am

Will be a good signing if he comes, also,it’ll make Zohore up his game if he wants to keep his position in the team.

Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:17 am

Honestly with the strikers linked he would be my first choice.

Surprised if we can manage to get him permanently and on reasonable wages.. but if we do I think he could have the Campbell effect. He is physical, fast, decent in the air and a physical presence.

Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:19 am

noisycat wrote:Will be a good signing if he comes, also,it’ll make Zohore up his game if he wants to keep his position in the team.

Yes agreed. There is no competition or pressure on Zohore at the moment. Bogle I think is a decent player to have on the bench and has loads of potential, but for now we need someone to challenge for a first team place and push Zohore.

Imagine a firing Zohore and Grabban up front together in a 442, which you could only do at home unless you are chasing a game away... devastating.

Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:56 am

Nobody had heard of Wildschut until it was done and dusted. There is too much talk about Grabban; if it was going to be done surely it would have been done by now.

Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:01 am

This latest info on grabban,is out this morning, about the same time that wildshut info was out, perhaps today or tomorrow we will sign him!

Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:22 am

Igovernor wrote:This latest info on grabban,is out this morning, about the same time that wildshut info was out, perhaps today or tomorrow we will sign him!

Great analysis Igov. I like your thinking.

Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:39 am

Igovernor wrote:This latest info on grabban,is out this morning, about the same time that wildshut info was out, perhaps today or tomorrow we will sign him!

Won’t happen, BlueDredd said so.

Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:14 am

Love too see him here,be a good signing.

Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:51 am

It seems that as the club nowadays keep everything in house, the only way that the media know anything is when they see the
signing going into the vale for a medical, as journalists will be down there waiting to see the comings and goings :thumbup:

Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:38 pm

Would be a fantastic signing if it was to happen & a clear message from the board that they will back the manager in the fight for promotion.

Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:48 pm

My nan works in the club canteen. I've been told on good authority.

Won't happen.

Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:03 pm

I'm still struggling how see any a purchase deal is financially viable. A loan to buy maybe. But to be honest probably more rumours and warnock will pick another player up that no one expected.

Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:05 pm

nubbsy wrote:I'm still struggling how see any a purchase deal is financially viable. A loan to buy maybe. But to be honest probably more rumours and warnock will pick another player up that no one expected.

Could be a deal where the spread the cost, over 3 years. another way around FFP. :thumbup:

Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:15 pm

bluebird7291 wrote:
nubbsy wrote:I'm still struggling how see any a purchase deal is financially viable. A loan to buy maybe. But to be honest probably more rumours and warnock will pick another player up that no one expected.

Could be a deal where the spread the cost, over 3 years. another way around FFP. :thumbup:

That's how most transfer s are done anyway staged payments

Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:20 pm

BlueDredd wrote:My nan works in the club canteen. I've been told on good authority.

Won't happen.

Thanks for your continued but immature input to an decent thread! #BlueThreadSpoiler ;) :roll: :oops:

Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:22 pm

£4m fee been offered,I can't see that to be honest .
All these rumours floating around , 2 strikers and 2 midfielders , loans and buys.
Well at least it's not boring.
The only LG we'll end up signing will be a 55" for the players lounge ;)

Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:26 pm

nojac wrote:£4m fee been offered,I can't see that to be honest .
All these rumours floating around , 2 strikers and 2 midfielders , loans and buys.
Well at least it's not boring.
The only LG we'll end up signing will be a 55" for the players lounge ;)

Why not ? 1 million a season for next 4 years? It's peanuts in football terms