Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Could Mendez-Laing make the step up?

Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:15 am

Could Mendez-Laing make the step up?

FourFourTwo magazine have drawn up a list of seven Championship stars who could shine in the Premier League.

The usual suspects are in there - like Cardiff’s Boxing Day tormentor-in-chief Tom Cairney - but a Bluebird has been tipped for the step up to the big time.

Nathaniel Mendez-Laing is the sole Cardiff player to make it and here’s what they had to say about the winger:

If Wilfried Zaha’s return for Crystal Palace has provided struggling teams with a survival template to emulate, Mendez-Laing might just be the wildcard alternative they want to take a chance on.
The former Peterborough man has often flattered to deceive, but matured enormously under Keith Hill at Rochdale and set the Championship alight upon his arrival at Cardiff with five goals in his first five matches.
Those standards have slipped of late, which might tempt Neil Warnock and his short-term orientation into a spot of wheeling and dealing to revive a stuttering campaign.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Could Mendez-Laing make the step up?

Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:22 am

I personally think he has been a fantastic addition. Hes gone off the boil a tad but with Zohore out it was as if he had to do it all.

Those first 6 games of the season I was mighty impressed, and I still I am with Mendez - potential to be fantastic

Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:37 am

To say that his form has gone down a "tad"is a gross understatement,for one reason or another he is a shadow of his former self,of course we all hope he can recapture his former form but I think the jury is still out as to whether Mendez Laing could hack it in the Premiership

Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:45 am

He has got to hack it in the Championship first and not be just a two month wonder.

Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:17 pm

Its touch and go with any player really, some can and some cant.

He would certainly be in the maybe section, he has the pace and power, needs to do it consistently.

Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:57 pm

Just find that his touch lets him down. Pace & power in abundance, but if he doesn't have 10 yards of space to pick the ball up and run in to then he's totally ineffective.

Hopefully he can pick his form back up with a full strength midfield, and a few new additions.

Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:01 pm

Like many wingers he's slightly inconsistent but overall a great purchase and will only get better with time in this league.

Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:33 pm

I think in his position it's easier for wingers to make it in any more position at any level for me.

Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:58 pm

he doesnt have a football brain, and his decision making is poor. you can easily get away with that at this level, but he has to be more of a goal / assist machine if he is to improve.

it's difficult to say if he could be effective at PL level at the moment. i think he could be effective agains the weaker teams, but any decent fullback would have him on toast IMO.

Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:04 pm

he hasnt really proven himself at championship level yet.

Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:32 pm

northernbluebird wrote:he doesnt have a football brain, and his decision making is poor. you can easily get away with that at this level, but he has to be more of a goal / assist machine if he is to improve.

it's difficult to say if he could be effective at PL level at the moment. i think he could be effective agains the weaker teams, but any decent fullback would have him on toast IMO.

He's got five goals and four assist so a pretty decent return for this stage in the season.

Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:09 pm

nubbsy wrote:
northernbluebird wrote:he doesnt have a football brain, and his decision making is poor. you can easily get away with that at this level, but he has to be more of a goal / assist machine if he is to improve.

He's got five goals and four assist so a pretty decent return for this stage in the season.

Sadly his injury came at at the wrong time.