Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

What will the result of Sheffield Wednesday v Cardiff City be?

Poll ended at Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:30 pm

Sheffield Wednesday win
8%
Cardiff City win
67%
Draw
24%

Total votes : 49

MATCH THREAD “ SHEFFIELD WED v CARDIFF CITY “ MATCH THREAD

Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:30 pm

SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY v CARDIFF CITY
Saturday 20th January, 5.30pm
Sky Bet Championship
Hillsbrough

Cardiff City: Etheridge; Richards, Morrison, Manga, Bamba, Bennett; Ralls, Grujic, Hoilett, Wildschut; Zohore

Subs: Murphy, Halford, Damour, Paterson, Mendez-Laing, K Harris, Pilkington.

CARDIFF CITY ARE 3RD IN THE CHAMPIONSHIP & HAVE BEEN IN THE TOP 3 FOR 6 MONTHS :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Its pay on the day for Cardiff City & Sheffield Wednesday Fans :thumbright: :thumbright: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Cardiff have sold approx 350 tickets, but don't forget its pay on the day :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

" TEAM NEWS " 19/01/18

Meanwhile,Danny Ward, Aron Gunnarsson, Craig Bryson, Matt Connolly and Lee Peltier will all miss the trip to Hillsborough while Kadeem Harris also remains sidelined, although the latter is edging ever closer to making his first appearance of the season.

Warnock on Grujic

NEIL WARNOCK:

“I just call him Marko! He’s in the squad, we’ll have a look at him but he’s not had a game since playing for Serbia in November. Liverpool are very thorough with their fitness so he had a good session yesterday we’ll have a look today. A lot depends on Ralls. If he’s not available he’ll definitely start."

051601A8-1467-4933-804A-B20D0C5EF8CF.jpeg

About Sheffield Wednesday

Sheffield Wednesday Football Club is a professional association football club based in Sheffield, England. The team competes in the Championship, the second tier of the English football league system. Formed as an offshoot of The Wednesday Cricket Club in 1867, they went by the name of The Wednesday Football Club until changing to their current name in 1929.

Wednesday is one of the oldest football clubs in the world of any code, and the third-oldest professional association football club in England, excluding clubs with informal or disputed foundation dates. In 1868 its team won the Cromwell Cup, only the second tournament of its kind, and in 1877 they won the inaugural Sheffield Challenge Cup, the oldest county cup in England. They were founding members and inaugural champions of the Football Alliance in 1889, before joining The Football League three years later. In 1992 they became founder members of the Premier League. The team has spent most of its league history in English football's top flight, but they have not played at that level since being relegated in 2000.

The Owls, as they are nicknamed, have won four league titles, three FA Cups, one League Cup and one FA Community Shield. Wednesday have also competed in UEFA cup competitions on four occasions, reaching the quarter-finals of the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup in 1963.

Since 1899 the club has played its home matches at Hillsborough stadium, a near-40,000 capacity stadium in the north-west Sheffield suburb of Owlerton.

I can't get to Hillsborough, can I watch the match live?

Yes, the match is live on Sky Sports.

Team News - Predicted Line-Ups

Sheffield Wednesday: Wildsmith, Venancio, Loovens, Pudil, Palmer, Wallace, Jones, Reach, Fox, Rhodes, Joao

Cardiff City: Etheridge, Richards, Manga, Morrison, Bennett, Bamba, Ralls, Paterson, Mendez-Laing, Hoilett, Zohore

Previous Meeting

Back in September, we played out a 1-1 draw with Sheffield Wednesday at Cardiff City Stadium. Gary Hooper gave the visitors a first half lead but Sol Bamba rescued a point for us in the 95th minute.

Form - Last Three Games

Sheffield Wednesday 2-0 Carlisle United
Sheffield United 0-0 Sheffield Wednesday
Carlisle United 0-0 Sheffield Wednesday

Mansfield Town 1-4 Cardiff City
Cardiff City 4-0 Sunderland
Cardiff City 0-0 Mansfield Town

Match Odds

Sheffield Wednesday - 7/4
Cardiff City - 6/4
Draw - 23/10

Predictions

Post your predictions below :thumbright:

Don't forget to vote for your Man of the Match after the game. That poll will be posted on this forum at full time :thumbright:

Don't forget to vote for your Man of the Match after the game. That poll will be posted on this forum at full time :thumbright:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: LATEST NEWS “ SHEFFIELD WED v CARDIFF CITY “ MATCH THREA

Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:06 am

Sheffield Wednesday 1 City 2 :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:42 am

2-1 City with Yanick getting his first goal. :ayatollah: :bluebird:

Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:50 pm

I’ve gone for 1-1 draw but I hope we beat them obviously :ayatollah:

Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:07 pm

im being audacious and ill say we will score 4 goals for the third time in 7 days :ayatollah:

Wednesday 1 - Cardiff 4

Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:22 am

The Football League have now announced the Match Day officials that will take charge of the game between Sheffield Wednesday and Cardiff City this Saturday.

Sheffield Wednesday host Cardiff City on Saturday January 20 for the game at Hillsborough and the match carries a 5.30pm kick off.

Referee: Roger East
Assistant Refs: Mark Scholes and Derek Eaton
Fourth Official: David Webb

Match Day referee East has officiated 17 games in 2017/18, showing 58 yellow cards and two red cards.

He took in 33 games in 2016/17 with a return of 140 yellow cards and five red cards.

His highest card that year was eight yellow cards which he showed in matches between Oxford v Millwall, MK Dons v Northampton and Brighton v Ipswich Town.

He took charge of 39 matches in 2015/16 and in those games, across all competitions and football divisions, he handed out a total of 119 yellow cards and two red cards.

He was most card happy in the match between Brighton and Sheffield Wednesday in May with a total of eight yellows being shown.

Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:23 pm

Forever Blue wrote:The Football League have now announced the Match Day officials that will take charge of the game between Sheffield Wednesday and Cardiff City this Saturday.

Sheffield Wednesday host Cardiff City on Saturday January 20 for the game at Hillsborough and the match carries a 5.30pm kick off.

Assistant Refs: Mark Scholes and Derek Eaton
Fourth Official: David Webb

Match Day referee East has officiated 17 games in 2017/18, showing 58 yellow cards and two red cards.

He took in 33 games in 2016/17 with a return of 140 yellow cards and five red cards.

His highest card that year was eight yellow cards which he showed in matches between Oxford v Millwall, MK Dons v Northampton and Brighton v Ipswich Town.

He took charge of 39 matches in 2015/16 and in those games, across all competitions and football divisions, he handed out a total of 119 yellow cards and two red cards.

He was most card happy in the match between Brighton and Sheffield Wednesday in May with a total of eight yellows being shown.

Mr East last refereed us I believe in the 0-0 draw with Brighton last season and before that when we lost 2-1 at Everton in the PL.

He was the ref who allowed the Watford equaliser v Southampton last week when it seemed the goal was punched into the net.

He referees mostly in the PL so let's hope he does not perform like that clown we had at Ashton Gate. :banghead:

Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:45 pm

Sheff Wed 0-2 City

Kenneth Zohore to score both

Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:09 pm

2-1 city ken to score freekick,

Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:18 pm

Team News - Predicted Line-Ups

Sheffield Wednesday: Wildsmith, Venancio, Loovens, Pudil, Palmer, Wallace, Jones, Reach, Fox, Rhodes, Joao

Cardiff City: Etheridge, Richards, Manga, Morrison, Bennett, Bamba, Ralls, Paterson, Mendez-Laing, Hoilett, Zohore

Loovens is suspended for them.
Dont think NML will start Warnock will start one of our two new signings IMO... Might be both if Ralls is out injured.

Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:04 am

NEIL WARNOCK ON SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY

NEIL WARNOCK:

"Look at the type of players they have at the club, people like Jordan Rhodes and people like that. They’ve got goals in abundance aswell so it’s tough but we’ve got one or two players hitting a bit of form aswell."

"I’m really looking forward to it. We’ve got to try and be positive in our selection aswell.”"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:06 am

Its pay on the day for Cardiff City & Sheffield Wednesday Fans :thumbright: :thumbright: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Cardiff have sold approx 350 tickets, but don't forget its pay on the day :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:29 am

Jos Luhukay on tomorrow's game

It seems there’s a bit more confidence up at Hillsbrough than there was a few weeks ago, and having seen his side claim a draw and a win in his opening two games in charge, the Owls’ new boss is in confident move ahead of the visit of Cardiff.

Here’s what he said in his latest press conference.

JOS LUHUKAY:

“We have had some days to work with each other, I have two games and see all the players available now who gave a performance in both games.

“That was good for mentality and character from the players. It gives me a good feeling for the game on Saturday against Cardiff."

“The players who I have now, they have not a lot of games played most of them."
“So they must come with a good feeling and the best form they can."
“I must try now with these players to bring the quality of a high level from them.”

Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:19 am

is 350 good or bad? thought we could of got atleast 600?

Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:34 am

" TEAM NEWS " 19/01/18

Warnock on Grujic

NEIL WARNOCK:

“I just call him Marko! He’s in the squad, we’ll have a look at him but he’s not had a game since playing for Serbia in November. Liverpool are very thorough with their fitness so he had a good session yesterday we’ll have a look today. A lot depends on Ralls. If he’s not available he’ll definitely start."

Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:54 am

NEIL WARNOCK:

ON CARDIFF CITY INJURIES.

"We're trying to get a Striker in before the end of the window."

"I’m disappointed in some respects that we’re still in the cup because of numbers but I’m glad in a way because the Bolton game is rescheduled and it gives us a chance to get some players back and hopefully we can push on again."

Meanwhile,Danny Ward, Aron Gunnarsson, Craig Bryson, Matt Connolly and Lee Peltier will all miss the trip to Hillsborough while Kadeem Harris also remains sidelined, although the latter is edging ever closer to making his first appearance of the season.

Re: TEAM NEWS “ SHEFFIELD WED v CARDIFF CITY “ MATCH THREAD

Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:29 pm

410 sold :bluescarf: :bluebird:

Re: TEAM NEWS “ SHEFFIELD WED v CARDIFF CITY “ MATCH THREAD

Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:46 pm

7 nil Cardiff will do nicely

Re: MATCH THREAD “ SHEFFIELD WED v CARDIFF CITY “ MATCH THRE

Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:47 am

All the team news and match facts as the Bluebirds look to back up Sunderland win when travelling to Hillsborough to face Sheffield Wednesday
By Joshua Slack

Date & Time: Saturday 20th January (17:30)

Venue: Hillsborough

Cardiff City will hope to back-up last weekend’s convincing victory over Sunderland when travelling to Hillsborough to face Jos Luhukay’s Sheffield Wednesday.

The Bluebirds were in need of a boost and the 4-0 home thrashing over relegation-threatened Sunderland would have been the perfect solution following a torrid run of form over the festive period.

Neil Warnock’s men also defeated Mansfield in their third round replay 4-1 to secure a glamorous home tie against Pep Guardiola’s Manchester City in the fourth round of the FA Cup in the Welsh capital.

Due to poor results over Christmas, Cardiff City have dropped off the pace in recent weeks, so it was important they got back on track in the home win over Sunderland.

The results have left Neil Warnock’s side 20th in the form table over the last six encounters, with today’s opponents in the form of Sheffield Wednesday a place below the Bluebirds in 21st.

Wednesday have recently appointed former Stuttgart manager Los Luhukay, and they certainly impressed during his first game in charge, and grounded out a point, despite having former Cardiff City defender Glenn Loovens sent off for a second bookable offence as they drew 0-0 at Bramall Lane in the Steel City derby.

He also witnessed his first win as Sheffield Wednesday manager in the week as they advanced to the fourth round of the FA Cup courtesy of a 2-0 win over League Two outfit Carlisle United in the replay.

In his first home game in charge in the league, the crowd will be up for it and will be sure to make it a hostile atmosphere for the Bluebirds and given Warnock’s past with Sheffield United, it is all set up to be a fascinating clash at Hillsborough in front of the TV cameras on Saturday evening.

The Bluebirds will be keen to pile the pressure on the top two when travelling to Hillsborough for the late kick-off, but that’s easier said than done.

Cardiff City have a horrendous record against Wednesday home and away and haven’t beaten the Yorkshire-based outfit in their last six encounters between the two sides.

The last time the Bluebirds beat Sheffield Wednesday was in 2014, as goals from Sean Morrison and Anthony Pilkington gave Russell Slade’s side all three points.

It will be a tricky test for Cardiff, and Wednesday certainly have quality players who are able to punish the Bluebirds at the back.

Former Middlesbrough midfielder Adam Reach has ran the show for Wednesday in the middle this season, and according to stat-based website WhoScored, he has four man of the match awards to his name.

Reach also has six assists and four goals in 27 appearances for Wednesday this season and he is a pivotal player, especially if the Owls want to turn their season around.

The likes of Sol Bamba and Sean Morrison will have to be particularly wary of former celtic striker Gary Hooper, as well. The 29 year-old has double figures for the season, having scored 10 times this season and can be a real jack in the box – he is a poacher, so if he gets a chance, he could well punish the Bluebirds.

Roger East is taking charge of proceeding in Yorkshire on Saturday evening, and has overseen various Premier League and Championship outings already this season.

Despite only taking charge of 17 games this season, East has already produced a total of 58 yellow cards and two red cards – the 52 year-old will officiate his first Bluebirds game of the season when they make the trip to Hillsborough on Saturday evening.

This is a vital game for Warnock and the Bluebirds, the pressure is on them and it is up to them to turn up, put in a good performance and ensure to come away from Hillsborough with a positive result, especially given the form of the current top two in the Championship.

Team News

Former Bluebird and Wednesday captain Glenn Loovens will miss out after being sent off in the Steel City derby last time out. Hooper should lead the line for the Owls.

Yanic Wildschut put in a good case for starting against Wednesday following his impressive cameo appearance for the Bluebirds – expect Zohore to start again as Warnock’s side look to pick up important points on their travels.

RECENT MEETINGS

2017: Cardiff City 1-1 Sheffield Wednesday

2017: Sheffield Wednesday 1-0 Cardiff City

2016: Cardiff City 1-1 Sheffield Wednesday

Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:03 pm

Warnock sounds up for it, he will want us to start fast and make their fans go quiet, fingers crossed they can, we see good when we take the lead.

Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:04 pm

Anyone in Sheffield yet?

Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:08 pm

Lukeshepherd93 wrote:Anyone in Sheffield yet?

Yeah me and I wish someone told me it was a late KO.

Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:25 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:

There's a few of us in the beehive on west street

Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:38 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
SERIOUSLY ?

Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:01 pm

Wolves 2 down atm :D

Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:50 pm

paulh_85 wrote:im being audacious and ill say we will score 4 goals for the third time in 7 days :ayatollah:

Wednesday 1 - Cardiff 4

Do you know what I like your thoughts,me too 1-4 :thumbup:

Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:51 pm

Squad for the game

Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:52 pm

Team looks strong.

Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:02 pm

Grujic and Wildschut. Interesting.

Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:06 pm

Great starting line up and lots of impact players on the bench. Confident. COME ON YOU MIGHTY BLUEBIRDS!!!!! :ayatollah: :bluescarf: :bluebird: