Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

If Tan is to blame for lack of crowds??

Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:22 pm

Why are we going to sell out for Man City? Tan still here.

I think it’s because of the excitement that this game has brought. Excitement that even 3rd place in the Championship doesn’t bring after a promotion and season in the Premiership.

Re: If Tan is to blame for lack of crowds??

Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:43 pm

We are always up for a big game.

I think the journey being better than the destination was the issue for our promotion season and that desire to be there has dissipated. The 18K hardy souls are now there because they want to be there and not in case we are promoted and they miss out.

Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:09 pm

Ive had 8 enquiries for tickets to man city. Not one a city fan.

What people don't understand is the impact that Tan had has killed the old loyals off.
Gone From die hard, to can't be bothered to once in a whilers.

We've lost fans due to begin nag treated as punters and now we have going to the city in the same bracket as going to the cinema.

Cinema full when a blockbuster is on, and struggles when standard films come out.

That's us. Tan and his bum licks did this.

We also play shit on TV and on big games and seating and fan arrangements in stadium have killed the craic

Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:35 pm

maccydee wrote:Why are we going to sell out for Man City? Tan still here.

I think it’s because of the excitement that this game has brought. Excitement that even 3rd place in the Championship doesn’t bring after a promotion and season in the Premiership.

Simple answer is it's a rare opportunity for football fans in S Wales to watch the best side in British football, one of the best in Europe, playing in the Principality. There will be thousands there who will be watching the big names playing for the big team. Probably the only game they will watch all season, but hopefully City may gain some extra fans as well.

Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:39 pm

eddiep wrote:Ive had 8 enquiries for tickets to man city. Not one a city fan.

What people don't understand is the impact that Tan had has killed the old loyals off.

We've lost fans due to begin nag treated as punters and now we have going to the city in the same bracket as going to the cinema.

Cinema full when a blockbuster is on, and struggles when standard films come out.

We also play shit on TV and on big games and seating and fan arrangements in stadium have killed the craic

so you are blaming tan but not the shit football and fan seating ect ect? also youve hit nail on head without realising what you've said? playing in championship is dull no one wants to watch but play premier side and its brilliant so fans come out in their thousands ! maybe just maybe its apathy towards championship thats the problem not something that happened 4yrs ago? :old:

Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:41 pm

what people do not understand is it has always happened
the away games at Arsenal {last cup game at Highbury } and Chelsea {the infamous go to jail game } ...both long before Tan loyal fans were shafted over tickets...

Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:44 pm

I have said this before, but City has always been a "Big Game Charlie" supported club, since time in memorial. Just check the stats, over the decades,, we have gone from one big crowd, to another small one. It's well documented,,,, just look at our famous win v Leeds Utd, then the following home game v Bristol City as just one example.

Vincent Tan, moving from Ninian Park, selling John Toshack, playing crap football, the excuses rumble on through season to season. :roll:

Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:55 pm

RICK+CCFC wrote:I have said this before, but City has always been a "Big Game Charlie" supported club, since time in memorial. Just check the stats, over the decades,, we have gone from one big crowd, to another small one. It's well documented,,,, just look at our famous win v Leeds Utd, then the following home game v Bristol City as just one example.

Vincent Tan, moving from Ninian Park, selling John Toshack, playing crap football, the excuses rumble on through season to season. :roll:

the reality is there are lots of reasons why people dont go now and nothing anyone on here can do to alter that fact! just amuses me that rebrand is a reason not to go but everything else is an excuse! not sure what the difference is between them? :o

Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:58 pm

Check out my post then you finds out my thoughts on the reason for the crowd numbers :ayatollah: :thumbright:

Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:59 pm

pembroke allan wrote:

so you are blaming tan but not the shit football and fan seating ect ect? also youve hit nail on head without realising what you've said? playing in championship is dull no one wants to watch but play premier side and its brilliant so fans come out in their thousands ! maybe just maybe its apathy towards championship thats the problem not something that happened 4yrs ago? :old:

Yes I'm blaming Tan but agree your points.

Apathy caused by the whole lot of it.

We grew strong and steady for years - (remember how chuffed I was to see 5k at Ninian park).
We grew and grew to a point when 20k became our base crowd not in premier league either
- we hit wembly a few times and the growth continued
Then boom.....

Our base crowd has now dropped to 15k
Thats 5k gone from base

Stuffing well and truly kicked out of many a gut in south Wales

Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:04 pm

Some good points there Dean. I’m glad we have low crowds. We would have nothing to moan about then . I love a moan.

I can’t moan about nothing else. The club can’t do no wrong at the moment. Going in the right direction (which is the total opposite to the jacks) :lol:

Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:11 pm

i once read a good article in a horse racing journal asking of the point or fun of watching horse racing without a bet, its all a bit pointless and boring.

Well in my opinion a lot of our fans felt the same way when we moved into our fort knox of a stadium with all the changes in the laws of the land relating to football trouble. Loads were never there for the football, but for all the palava that went with the game.

Seeing city in the premier league was an end of their journey. Even if we stayed up i doubt they would have renewed. The game had moved on.

Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:12 pm

eddiep wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

We grew strong and steady for years - (remember how chuffed I was to see 5k at Ninian park).
We grew and grew to a point when 20k became our base crowd not in premier league either
Then boom.....

Thats 5k gone from base

its dropped because of lack of success and debacle after premiership with managers? yes can blame tan for that no problem but its basically lack of success thats main reason for smaller crowds not thousands leaving because of rebrand! can factor in social financial and lifestyle for reasons people dont watch football at city as well! man c is classic exsample what success and big game can do to crowds, :thumbup:

Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:17 pm

pembroke allan wrote:

Exactly my point.

Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:23 pm

maccydee wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Exactly my point.

:thumbup: trouble is people living in past and the world of ccfc as moved on though! :o

Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:41 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
maccydee wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Exactly my point.

:thumbup: trouble is people living in past and the world of ccfc as moved on though! :o

Speaking of which where is Ian?

Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:50 pm

eddiep wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Then boom.....

Thats 5k gone from base

THIS BASE CROWD...?
the first 20k average for 40 years was our first season in a brand new stadium and a play off season...the first time in 50 years we ended a season and had any sort of chance of playing in the top league the following year...special...?
the following year having failed to go up..we make probably all things considered the clubs biggest ever signing , make play offs again...special..?
then a new manager another play off year only this time with a cup final....
followed by champions
followed by prem.
these were not base mid table crowds these were times those that had been around 20 + years had dreamed of but never really thought they would see...

Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:00 pm

dogfound wrote:
eddiep wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Then boom.....

Thats 5k gone from base

THIS BASE CROWD...?
the first 20k average for 40 years was our first season in a brand new stadium and a play off season...the first time in 50 years we ended a season and had any sort of chance of playing in the top league the following year...special...?
the following year having failed to go up..we make probably all things considered the clubs biggest ever signing , make play offs again...special..?
followed by champions
followed by prem.
these were not base mid table crowds these were times those that had been around 20 + years had dreamed of but never really thought they would see...

Good post. The last time we had over a 30k crowd was 1977.

Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:02 pm

Not all but a lot of People will always use Tan as an excuse for not going because its convenient.
I remember a few telling me they won't watch Cardiff whilst Sam Hammam was in charge then seeing them at Arsenal home and at Highbury in the cup games they then they went back to their stay away protest after that. .
These types a no doubt saying the same about Tan and probably said the same under Ridsdale.

Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:12 pm

RICK+CCFC wrote:
dogfound wrote:
eddiep wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Then boom.....

Thats 5k gone from base

THIS BASE CROWD...?
followed by champions
followed by prem.

yes over 40 years ago , yet you get people baffled as to why we dont get 30k every week..

Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:26 pm

RICK+CCFC wrote:
dogfound wrote:
eddiep wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Then boom.....

Thats 5k gone from base

THIS BASE CROWD...?
followed by champions
followed by prem.

And prior to 2010 in the previous 38yrs until 1972 average crowds were very low probably under 10k per season Most of the time! So not sure how people are expecting 25k when absolutely no evidence to support big crowds apart from 2009 to 2013 our golden period. :thumbup:

Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:35 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
RICK+CCFC wrote:
dogfound wrote:
eddiep wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Then boom.....

Thats 5k gone from base

THIS BASE CROWD...?
followed by champions
followed by prem.

And prior to 2010 in the previous 38yrs until 1972 average crowds were very low probably under 10k per season Most of the time! So not sure how people are expecting 25k when absolutely no evidence to support big crowds apart from 2009 to 2013 our golden period. :thumbup:

Our golden period, as you put it, involved four Wembly appearances. The first two ( FA cup semi & final), influenced season ticket sales for the following season, fact.

Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:44 pm

RICK+CCFC wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
RICK+CCFC wrote:
dogfound wrote:
eddiep wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Then boom.....

Thats 5k gone from base

THIS BASE CROWD...?
followed by champions
followed by prem.

Our golden period, as you put it, involved four Wembly appearances. The first two ( FA cup semi & final), influenced season ticket sales for the following season, fact.

Exactly and people wondering why crowds are lower now than in that period? :shock:

Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:10 am

pembroke allan wrote:
RICK+CCFC wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
RICK+CCFC wrote:
dogfound wrote:
eddiep wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Then boom.....

Thats 5k gone from base

THIS BASE CROWD...?
followed by champions
followed by prem.

Exactly and people wondering why crowds are lower now than in that period? :shock:

The second two Wembly appearance when we played at the CCS. Who would ever forget our play off semi final v Leicester City, or our Cup semi final v Crystal Palace???

Great nights, and great atmospheres,,,,, and that I believe will be repeated,,,,, soon!

Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:48 am

Another attendance thread.. Why not!

Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:00 am

Your virtually spot on :thumbright: :bluebird:

The topic question, is way off the mark, this game attracts fans who want to watch a Premier Club as well as City fans wanting to go. :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluescarf:

Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:03 am

nubbsy wrote:Another attendance thread.. Why not!

Another attendance thread by those who slept and continue to sleep with Tan.

It makes no difference whoever is the owner this sort of game was always going to be a sellout.

Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:08 am

Bakedalasker wrote:

It makes no difference whoever is the owner this sort of game was always going to be a sellout.

:thumbright: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:54 am

I 100% agree with this and would add that the whole online ticketing / membership thing has also killed off a lot of casual supporters because it is just too much hassle to get a ticket. It’s no longer got anything to do with Tan.

Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:29 am

Bakedalasker wrote:

Slept with or sleep with? Complete tosh.

Wonder if any of your 4000 might give it a go for old time’s sake?