Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Warnock’s future ? "

Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:34 pm

Been holding back on this next comment for a few days/weeks now however;

If Warnock gets us promoted it seems as though he is resigned to not managing us in the premiership ?

This is mainly taken from recent comments of his and the fact his contract is up in the summer.

Firstly I hope he gets us up and secondly I hope he gives it another go in the premiership, worst case scenario he is made DOF (not convinced that would suit either party though)

On the other hand he will be 70 and the only one to have 8 promotions, so what a swangsong to retire on ?

Before the snipers start firing I’m not trying to spin negatives as I’m an optimist but some of the comments recently have had me concerned who will be next seasons manager ?

Re: " Warnock’s future ? "

Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:59 pm

its a question that the people running the club need to be thinking about. warnock clearly still loves managing, and has said he's retired many times before. if he does stay i think next season will be his last.

i'm guessing it's 50-50 he'll be here next year. it's entirely up to warnock though.

Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:24 pm

He’s said often he hates the divas of premiership football. Much prefers the lower leagues.

Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:44 pm

He is a great championship manger but in the prem? Not for me.

Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:06 pm

I think he will step down if we are promoted but will stay at the club either as DOF or maybe a No2 to someone he knows , trusts. Maybe Bellers?

Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:37 am

He stated in a radio interview (TalkSport, if I remember correctly) that he takes one game at a time and doesn't think of his long-term future at his age. He clearly says he 'prefers' (maybe fits) the challenges of the Championship but doesn't rule in or out another 'pop' at the Premier League either

I guess City would have to get there first and then there is a decision to be made by all concerned! ;) :ayatollah:

Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:00 am

The real substance of his plans was articulated weeks ago, albeit somewhat ambiguously. It really boiled down to his wanting to continue in management but, and this is key, with the prospect of a possible promotion looming, he wanted to make things clear to make what were his terms. Fundamentally, his experiences of the Premiership have been, in his own opinion, soured by the execesses of those at board level. He is a "hands on" man management soul who expects to have plenary control over player affairs. He has stated that when directors embark on ego trips and curry favour with individual "stars" it's the beginning of the end. It undermines his position and upsets him, not understandably. I think he got his retaliation in first and warned Vinnie that of they got promoted, not to have ideas above his station!

This debate about his age is a red herring, although he plays the card very well. The truth is he's a fit 69 year old, years younger than many 10 years younger than him, with a wife whose years younger whose been given a new lease on life and whose passion for the game is ingrained.

He could probably do another 10 years, God willing, and he knows that. He would relish another attack on the Premiership but he's reached a stage and a position in life when he can dictate his own terms and he's not afraid to let people know. If we don't go up he's happy to orchestrate another shot at promotion, probably on an increased salary. Bar any unforseen tragedy, he's going nowhere.

Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:36 am

City Slicker wrote:The real substance of his plans was articulated weeks ago, albeit somewhat ambiguously. It really boiled down to his wanting to continue in management but, and this is key, with the prospect of a possible promotion looming, he wanted to make things clear to make what were his terms. Fundamentally, his experiences of the Premiership have been, in his own opinion, soured by the execesses of those at board level. He is a "hands on" man management soul who expects to have plenary control over player affairs. He has stated that when directors embark on ego trips and curry favour with individual "stars" it's the beginning of the end. It undermines his position and upsets him, not understandably. I think he got his retaliation in first and warned Vinnie that of they got promoted, not to have ideas above his station!

This debate about his age is a red herring, although he plays the card very well. The truth is he's a fit 69 year old, years younger than many 10 years younger than him, with a wife whose years younger whose been given a new lease on life and whose passion for the game is ingrained.

He could probably do another 10 years, God willing, and he knows that. He would relish another attack on the Premiership but he's reached a stage and a position in life when he can dictate his own terms and he's not afraid to let people know. If we don't go up he's happy to orchestrate another shot at promotion, probably on an increased salary. Bar any unforseen tragedy, he's going nowhere.

we are not promoted yet,and his contract is only until the end of the season. i think both probably make him a little reluctant to talk a great deal about next season...but i think youve got it pretty much spot on.

Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:49 am

If we go up get pulis to keep us there.

Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:25 pm

Jasonccfc wrote:I think he will step down if we are promoted but will stay at the club either as DOF or maybe a No2 to someone he knows , trusts. Maybe Bellers?

Not bellamy again :banghead:

Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:26 pm

nubbsy wrote:If we go up get pulis to keep us there.

Really :shock:

Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:28 pm

1980s Bluebird wrote:
nubbsy wrote:If we go up get pulis to keep us there.

Really :shock:

Why not? He's kept many teams in the prem. Not the prettiest of football but if we can steady the ship for a few years and then try to push forward again.