NATHAN BLAKE: "I WAS RACIALLY ABUSED"

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:04 am

Nathan Blake subject of alleged racist abuse as youth player at Chelsea

BBC

Saturday 20th Jan 2018

Nathan Blake discussed alleged racist abuse with BBC Radio Wales' Friday Night Social

Former Wales striker Nathan Blake has claimed he was the subject of racist abuse as a youth player at Chelsea.

Blake, 45, alleges a "culture" of racism existed during his time at the club as a teenager.

"It is the culture that was created. It is not any specific club. It is people within clubs," he claimed to BBC Wales.

A spokesman for Chelsea said the club would support any investigation. He said: "We take allegations of this nature extremely seriously."

He added: "We are absolutely determined to do the right thing, to assist the authorities and any investigations, and to fully support those affected which would include counselling for any former player that may need it."

Blake's allegations come after the Guardian reported that former Chelsea youth-team coaches Graham Rix and Gwyn Williams allegedly racially abused black players during the 1990s.

Both coaches denied "all and any allegations of racial or other abuse" in a statement from their lawyers.

Nathan Blake's allegations

Blake claims "a lot went on that should not have happened" while he was an apprentice at Stamford Bridge and that he was not the only subject of racist abuse.

"I had a real super hero strong mother who brought us up to understand racism and to never accept it, and to deal with it if it confronts you.

"[The Chelsea coaches] weren't expecting replies from a dippy little Welsh kid with an afro. They were thinking I was a little kid from woolly-back Wales and wouldn't have a clue.

"Other apprentices at the time, they had been there so long they would say to me, 'You kind of get used to it'.

"These were black players and I was like, 'No, how do you think this?' I am fighting my corner and I'm on my own fighting my corner.

"It was confusing to the point of having a mixed-race player and even he would call the black players derogatory names. The coaches would say you can't fight everyone, but I said 'no, if it is done on the pitch I would rather you comfort me and tell me it is not like that in here, just out there'.

"I did speak to management about it but you can only go so far. I spoke to coaches and the response was, 'We are doing it for your benefit.' Then it was more cutting a deal, 'Ok we won't do it to you.' It was ignorant beyond belief.

"If they say it to others, they are saying it to me. But they would say, 'It is part and parcel'."

'Delighted' to leave

Blake was released by the London club in 1990 and the striker, who went on to have a successful career with eight clubs and won 29 international caps, claims he intentionally got himself released.

"I had turned up late the previous week and been told if I turned up late again I was out, so I did, deliberately," he said.

"I wasn't glad to leave Chelsea, I was delighted. It wasn't the strong surviving, the weak did - it depended if you could take the abuse or not."

The 'pain never leaves you'

Blake added that while he was subject to alleged racist abuse at Chelsea, he blames individuals rather than the club itself, but was scared to speak out at such an early point in his career.

"Someone is doing it more than you ever heard before and they are in control of your destiny. They are [saying] you are not allowed to react.

"The problem is you can't be the Pied Pier of racism, at that time at that club, and then not own it. It comes back and that's karma.

"You have got a lot of people on the bandwagon, a lot of players and staff. This was the culture that was created by people - not clubs, people.

"If it wasn't so extreme, I would say, I couldn't forgive it but I could understand it, I am an adult.

"What they don't understand is that pain never leaves you."
Attachments
DT8RTKQW0AAh5sL.jpg
DT8RTKQW0AAh5sL.jpg (15.21 KiB) Viewed 12700 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: NATHAN BLAKE: "I WAS RACIALLY ABUSED"

Postby RICK+CCFC » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:00 am

I remember NB also having an issue with the then Wales manager Bobby Gould regarding racism, well publicised at the time.
RICK+CCFC

Postby Bakedalasker » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:10 am

Blake broke on the scene when there was a massive influx of black players into the game be it from local talent or from abroad. It is only natural that when such an impact happens confrontation raises it head resulting in name calling. This happens in all walks of life, ever listened to a debate in Parliament where although the language is "politically correct" the abuse is just as much applied than it would be on the terraces in those days.

{'m not condoning the racial abuse from the terraces in those days but we have come along way passed it and it hardly ventures its ugly head these days. I don't want to judge those who went through it but bringing iy up today will only backfire on them.
Bakedalasker

Postby Cardiff dyskinesia » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:31 am

Bakedalasker wrote:Blake broke on the scene when there was a massive influx of black players into the game be it from local talent or from abroad. It is only natural that when such an impact happens confrontation raises it head resulting in name calling. This happens in all walks of life, ever listened to a debate in Parliament where although the language is "politically correct" the abuse is just as much applied than it would be on the terraces in those days.

{'m not condoning the racial abuse from the terraces in those days but we have come along way passed it and it hardly ventures its ugly head these days. I don't want to judge those who went through it but bringing iy up today will only backfire on them.

In what way do you think it will backfire on the victims?
Cardiff dyskinesia

Postby Bakedalasker » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:45 am

Cardiff dyskinesia wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:Blake broke on the scene when there was a massive influx of black players into the game be it from local talent or from abroad. It is only natural that when such an impact happens confrontation raises it head resulting in name calling. This happens in all walks of life, ever listened to a debate in Parliament where although the language is "politically correct" the abuse is just as much applied than it would be on the terraces in those days.

People get bored of the subject.and this goes for any subject.

I agree in the term "Least we forget" but if you keep returning to the subject the sympathy factor dies on each return. Eventually the sympathy dies and then ignorance takes over.
Bakedalasker

Postby pembroke allan » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:01 am

Bakedalasker wrote:

I agree in the term "Least we forget" but if you keep returning to the subject the sympathy factor dies on each return. Eventually the sympathy dies and then ignorance takes over.

Example is the # tag movement set up by women! There's now a movement opposing it because they say it will put back woman's rights as men will be reluctant to employ or engage with women! You've got women making complaints after 30yrs of someone putting hand on knee (true) someone else actually kept flirtatious notes for 25yrs and now produces them! ! Whilst cannot condone serial obusers it's getting ridiculous some of the accusations! :|
pembroke allan

Postby Cardiff dyskinesia » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:49 am

pembroke allan wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:

I agree in the term "Least we forget" but if you keep returning to the subject the sympathy factor dies on each return.
Eventually the sympathy dies and then ignorance takes over.

Example is the # tag movement set up by women! There's now a movement opposing it because they say it will put back woman's rights as men will be reluctant to employ or engage with women! You've got women making complaints after 30yrs of someone putting hand on knee (true) someone else actually kept flirtatious notes for 25yrs and now produces them! ! Whilst cannot condone serial obusers it's getting ridiculous some of the accusations! :|

I don't buy that argument because it would be unlawful to not employ a woman because of a fear she could make a future allegation against you.

Taking up Bakedalasker's last point, It's pretty depressing that the seriousness we give to past allegations is dependant upon people's moral attention span.
Cardiff dyskinesia

Postby Sven » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:04 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:

I agree in the term "Least we forget" but if you keep returning to the subject the sympathy factor dies on each return.
Eventually the sympathy dies and then ignorance takes over.

I don't buy that argument because it would be unlawful to not employ a woman because of a fear she could make a future allegation against you.

Taking up Bakedalasker's last point, It's pretty depressing that the seriousness we give to past allegations is dependant upon people's moral attention span.

Sadly, most people have short and selective memories on most subjects and on serious issues like this, it's a massive shame :(

I will point out that these revelations by Nathan aren't new and have been aired previously in the media and on this very Forum :thumbright:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby AJ1927 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:25 pm

I was Racially abused..

Meanwhile at Cardiff fans chanted my name...

along with the words of being Black and Mean and Robbing a fruit machine... :clap:
It's Cardiff Jim,but not as you know it,not as you know it,not as you know it,
It's Cardiff Jim,but not as you know it,not as you know it Jim.
It's worse than that ITS RED JIM, Red Jim,Red Jim,
It's worse than that ITS RED JIM, Red Jim Red.
AJ1927

Postby gwentbluebirds » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:57 pm

AJ1927 wrote:I was Racially abused..

along with the words of being Black and Mean and Robbing a fruit machine... :clap:

Pc police watch out :?

That song was sung by virtually everybody back in the day and anyone denies it is a liar. Blakey would run to the bob bank when he scored and seem to have no problem with it :ayatollah:
gwentbluebirds

Postby 2blue2handle » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:11 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:

Bit like the rebrand.... 'Least we forget'

Thankfully racism is not how it used to be but it still exists which I find unbelievable.
2blue2handle

Postby Pencoed » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:42 pm

What's racist about that?
Pencoed

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:40 pm

Pencoed wrote:

For a long time I have wanted someone to define exactly what racist abuse is?

That might sound daft at first sight but it seems that any criticism of someone of colour will no doubt be branded as racism.

A couple of years ago everyone in Hollywood was racist because there were no black nominees for the best actor Oscar. The fact that maybe no black actor had made a film worthy of one was never discussed rather it seemed that the colour of your skin was more important than your acting ability.

Abuse is a fact of life whether it's racial, sexual or personal. I'm not saying it is right and proper only that there is no abuse which is automatically worse than any other.
Tony Blue Williams

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:48 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
Thankfully racism is not how it used to be but it still exists which I find unbelievable.

Does it really exist? If it does then it is white people who suffer it more than anyone else. It is perfectly OK to state that British people are lazy and won't do menial jobs but try saying that about foreigners or anyone of colour and you'll be fast tracked to a court appearance in no time.

If racist abuse is to be abolished then it should be accepted that it can from all quarters and everyone including people of colour have a responsibility not to use it.

Finally I would like the next terrorist attack to be described as a 'racist incidence' because Islamic Terrorists are the biggest racists the world has ever seen.
Tony Blue Williams

Postby pembroke allan » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:50 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
Pencoed wrote:

For a long time I have wanted someone to define exactly what racist abuse is?

That might sound daft at first sight but it seems that any criticism of someone of colour will no doubt be branded as racism.

A couple of years ago everyone in Hollywood was racist because there were no black nominees for the best actor Oscar. The fact that maybe no black actor had made a film worthy of one was never discussed rather it seemed that the colour of your skin was more important than your acting ability.

Abuse is a fact of life whether it's racial, sexual or personal. I'm not saying it is right and proper only that there is no abuse which is automatically worse than any other.

It happened all the time in the 80s when I lived in London got called everything a welshman can be so did the other nationalities that played in our team and other team's playes the same! It's becoming a fad now people bearing their souls about something happening 30yrs or more ago. :old:
pembroke allan

Postby 2blue2handle » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:51 pm

2blue2handle wrote:

Does it really exist? If it does then it is white people who suffer it more than anyone else. It is perfectly OK to state that British people are lazy and won't do menial jobs but try saying that about foreigners or anyone of colour and you'll be fast tracked to a court appearance in no time.

If racist abuse is to be abolished then it should be accepted that it can from all quarters and everyone including people of colour have a responsibility not to use it.

Finally I would like the next terrorist attack to be described as a 'racist incidence' because Islamic Terrorists are the biggest racists the world has ever seen.

Totally agree it happens both ways, didn't suggest it doesn't. And yes it exists still very clearly day to day.
2blue2handle

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:06 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:

Totally agree it happens both ways, didn't suggest it doesn't. And yes it exists still very clearly day to day.

All I'll say is every day I see black, Asian, Chinese and European people working hard and earning good money. They don't just do menial jobs they are professionals such as Doctors, Lawyers, Judges and MP's. They are given a fair chance and well protected by criminal and civil law.

At Cardiff City more than half our team is black or mixed race and that doesn't seem to bother anyone.

There might be arguments amongst people and falling outs, but absolute racism where someone is victimised because of the colour of their skin is a very rare occurrence these days.

However, there are people who have a vested interest in telling us that racism is rampant (such as Diane Abbot) but the real truth is white people suffer from racial discrimination more than any other ethnic group, simply because that is tolerated.
Tony Blue Williams

Postby Xcasual » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:07 am

Nathan is Black though :? Same as the Phil Stant song ,He’s White ,He’s mean He fought the argentines :bluescarf:
Xcasual

Postby AJ1927 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:07 pm

:old:
Xcasual wrote:

Nathan is Black though :? Same as the Phil Stant song ,He’s White ,He’s mean He fought the argentines :bluescarf:
It's Cardiff Jim,but not as you know it,not as you know it,not as you know it,
It's Cardiff Jim,but not as you know it,not as you know it Jim.
It's worse than that ITS RED JIM, Red Jim,Red Jim,
It's worse than that ITS RED JIM, Red Jim Red.
AJ1927

Return to General Chat