Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Grujics performance

Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:28 pm

Pretty average, getting booked didn't help, but he don't look anything special, let's just hope he was rusty..

Re: Grujics performance

Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:31 pm

I thought he looked a decent player, very decent

Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:34 pm

I was disappointed but can understand why. His lack of matches, thrown into the team with new team mates and playing in the championship.
I think he’ll come good for us when he beds in.

Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:35 pm

Early days, but didnt impress me. Patterson deserves the shirt.

Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:36 pm

Played about 6 games in 18 months give him time

Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:37 pm

Give him a chance at least? Signed on Friday in the starting team on Saturday, give him a few weeks to settle in then judge him

Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:40 pm

He'll come good. The quality is there. He needs to get used to the pace of the game in the championship and get match fit.

Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:43 pm

He did ok considering but should have gone 10 mins earlier.

Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:43 pm

WelshSerb wrote:Give him a chance at least? Signed on Friday in the starting team on Saturday, give him a few weeks to settle in then judge him

I'm not judging him yet, but it was an average performance. Hopefully he will come good quickly.

Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:48 pm

nubbsy wrote:He'll come good. The quality is there. He needs to get used to the pace of the game in the championship and get match fit.

Blew out his backside. Hot wayward passes but grew in to game when he went off, like you said he will be decent. Fans expect them to come in be like Ronaldo.

Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:49 pm

Looked like a player who hasn't trained with his team mates, knows their names/voices or the way they play.

Oh wait... That's exactly what he was. Give the lad time. Nearly scored.

Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:49 pm

Paterson did not deserve to lose his place.
This grujic deal may end up causing problems no matter how good or bad he is.
Patterson should have started tonight after his displays in the last few games.

Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:51 pm

It's hard to judge his quality, he never rarley played at Liverpool. No pedigree to date but potential to be be a top player. Needs to play to develop.

Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:53 pm

thomasblue wrote:Paterson did not deserve to lose his place.
This grujic deal may end up causing problems no matter how good or bad he is.
Patterson should have started tonight after his displays in the last few games.

No reason they couldn't both have played. The biggest problem we seem to have is Warnock theory that Manga has to play.

Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:55 pm

A bit surprised on some of the comments.

I thought he looked like a real CM, the first we have had for many a season, no real deficiencies

Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:57 pm

I don't know why we played him without a week to get up to speed with the style of play, and an introduction to the other players and what is expected of him ???

I thought considering all that he did OK, but you could see he will be a decent player in a few more games time, fingers crossed we stay patient and give him a chance.
Last edited by Bluebina on Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:58 pm

He showed touches of class I thought. Give the boy time at least! Away to Sheffield Wednesday doesn’t come much tougher! He’s hardly played so you can’t expect him to come out blazing!

Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:02 pm

Overall I thought he had an average game, but he's shown he has ability. He hit a great shot which brought a good save from their keeper, he looks very comfortable on a ball with good body strength. I'm looking forward to him getting fitter and going on one of his powerful runs, I think he will be very difficult to stop when he's charging forwards in full flight.

My only concerns are I don't think he fits our ethos of a high energy, high work rate midfield with our closing down. He seems more of a solid, one paced player who can do something with the ball and I think to see him at his best, he needs runners around him. He will need a few games to get match fit and get up to the speed of the Championship though, so we all need to give him time.

The same with Wildschut who hasn't been playing for a while, he looked very dangerous starting off but then faded, only because he isn't match fit yet. Both players will get better and better for us and it's a very good bit of business by Warnock.

Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:04 pm

Classic from the way some of our fans think.

I think it was pretty obvious he wasn't going to come in today and dominate midfield and hit the ground running. Give him a chance.

Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:09 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:Overall I thought he had an average game, but he's shown he has ability. He hit a great shot which brought a good save from their keeper, he looks very comfortable on a ball with good body strength. I'm looking forward to him getting fitter and going on one of his powerful runs, I think he will be very difficult to stop when he's charging forwards in full flight.

My only concerns are I don't think he fits our ethos of a high energy, high work rate midfield with our closing down. He seems more of a solid, one paced player who can do something with the ball and I think to see him at his best, he needs runners around him. He will need a few games to get match fit and get up to the speed of the Championship though, so we all need to give him time.

The same with Wildschut who hasn't been playing for a while, he looked very dangerous starting off but then faded, only because he isn't match fit yet. Both players will get better and better for us and it's a very good bit of business by Warnock.

Klopp wants more dynamism the Warnock, he probably got told to sit today

Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:11 pm

You have wonder why you change a winning team. Also Patterson scores 2 goals and is dropped :shock:

Grujics didn't really do anything wrong but he didn't do anything special. Fair comment by others about being rusty and probably not match fit but Patterson must be pretty angry at not starting.

Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:14 pm

llan bluebird wrote:
Tonteg Bluebird wrote:Overall I thought he had an average game, but he's shown he has ability. He hit a great shot which brought a good save from their keeper, he looks very comfortable on a ball with good body strength. I'm looking forward to him getting fitter and going on one of his powerful runs, I think he will be very difficult to stop when he's charging forwards in full flight.

Klopp wants more dynamism the Warnock, he probably got told to sit today

Yeah, probably. We only had Ralls and Grujic in centre midfield, so neither could be too adventurous. I think Warnock set us up to be solid and rely on our front 3 to create something, which they almost did.

Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:17 pm

He'll get us promoted!!

Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:23 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:You have wonder why you change a winning team. Also Patterson scores 2 goals and is dropped :shock:

Grujics didn't really do anything wrong but he didn't do anything special. Fair comment by others about being rusty and probably not match fit but Patterson must be pretty angry at not starting.

But Patterson isn't a midfielder, he doesn't look like one either and I have no doubt once he has a pre season your looking at the future Cardiff captain. But in midlfield? No. He knows this.

Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:30 pm

Stringfellow wrote:
Tony Blue Williams wrote:You have wonder why you change a winning team. Also Patterson scores 2 goals and is dropped :shock:

But Patterson isn't a midfielder, he doesn't look like one either and I have no doubt once he has a pre season your looking at the future Cardiff captain. But in midlfield? No. He knows this.

good point and correct he is not a midfielder..but i would also imagine Tony is right about him being gutted too.

Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:06 pm

I think we could've had both Grujic and Paterson in the starting line-up, if we'd gone 4-3-3, instead of wingbacks.
We never convince playing this formation and were exposed down both flanks second half.

Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:06 pm

I think we could've had both Grujic and Paterson in the starting line-up, if we'd gone 4-3-3, instead of wingbacks.
We never convince playing this formation and were exposed down both flanks second half.

Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:33 pm

I thought he looked pretty handy.

Once he got up to the pace he made some telling contributions.

Worst player for use was The mighty Sol Bamba. Absolutely awful today with judgement way off. A very rare off day and glad we got away with a point today.

Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:45 pm

piledriver64 wrote:I thought he looked pretty handy.

Worst player for use was The mighty Sol Bamba. Absolutely awful today with judgement way off. A very rare off day and glad we got away with a point today.

Manga was not at it either, the 3 centre backs looked dodgy at times tonight.

Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:52 pm

norms76 wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:I thought he looked pretty handy.

Manga was not at it either, the 3 centre backs looked dodgy at times tonight.

Some centre backs aren't suited to a back 3 and I think Bamba is one of them. He likes the back four, he knows his job, he knows the area to defend and he can go in 100% not having to think. Back three is different, different areas to defend and cover. I don't think it works with our three.