Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

GRUJIC: DO YOU AGREE WITH THE MEDIA VERDICT?

Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:10 am

How Liverpool star Mark Grujic played on his Cardiff City debut - the media verdict
By Dominic Booth

Sunday 21st Jan 2018

Grujic played 77 minutes on his Cardiff City debut, so how did he get on?

Liverpool loanee Marko Grujic made his Cardiff City debut in the 0-0 draw with Sheffield Wednesday.

Neil Warnock, upon signing the 21-year-old, said: “I want to play him, I’m not signing him to make the numbers up.”

And the Yorkshireman, on his return to hometown Sheffield for the clash with fierce adversaries the Owls, was as good as his word.

Grujic played 77 minutes before being replaced by Callum Paterson– and showed flashes of his obvious talent.

Defensive midfield destroyer

Similarities have been drawn between Grujic and Manchester United star Nemanja Matic. Almost immediately at Hillsborough it was easy to see why.

It’s not just the tall, wiry build and Serbian nationality that evokes Matic comparisons; it’s Grujic’s physical style, his positioning just in front of the back four (or three on this occasion) and obvious passion for breaking up the game.

Warnock stationed his new signing on the right side of a central midfield partnership with Joe Ralls, in a 3-4-3.

And after starting with couple of simple interchanges with Jazz Richards, Grujic soon looked for the threaded through-pass, though frequently missed his target when asked to get it forward.

He looked distributing the ball sideways, but it defensively where his impact was felt most – just ask Adam Reach, the recipient of a cynical seventh minute challenge.

That earned Grujic a yellow card and from that moment onwards, he was forced to tread very carefully.

Had he not been booked, you sense he would have committed more force to the tackle. He has the physique to do just that for Cardiff.

Some sloppiness

As you’d expect from a player making his Championship debut, there were some touches from Grujic that went awry.

With the Owls packing their midfield with five men – two wing-backs, plus a central trio of Ross Wallace, David Jones and Adam Reach – the lapses actually didn’t happen as often as the Bluebirds might have feared of their debutant. Grujic largely coped, but like his teammates was visibly ratted as Wednesday lay siege to the visitors goal in a 15-minute second half purple patch.

One skewed clearance just after the break that was followed by a marauding run forward into Wednesday traffic perhaps summed up a mixed evening for the Serbian international.

Yet he was not deterred, soon after hitting an inch-perfect diagonal for Joe Bennett, even applying a cool back-heel as Cardiff passed their way out of trouble.

Grujic then appeared to tire and was promptly replaced by Paterson.

The yin to Joe Ralls’ yang

If Warnock wants a midfield foil for Ralls, the evidence in South Yorkshire suggested Grujic can certainly grow into the role.

The 21-year-old was nowhere near as busy as Ralls, preferring to hold his position and allow the energetic No.8 to bomb forward and join Cardiff’s front three.

But like Ralls, he tracked dutifully, sticking to Wednesday danger man Reach. But he also provided a strength and stature that Cardiff’s other midfielders – Loic Damour, Craig Bryson, even Aron Gunnarsson – don’t possess.

He used his body to make a couple of vital interceptions as the Wednesday counter gathered speed towards the end of the first half, one of them earning Warnock’s approval – “well done Marko”, and a clap.

Then came an excellent driving effort on 37 minutes, on target, the bounce making it awkward for Joe Wildsmith.

With Ralls preferring to dart beyond the Wednesday midfield and knit the play together, Grujic’s fearless range hitting provided a nice change. One criticism aimed at Cardiff’s midfielders this season is that they’re too similar: Ralls, Damour and Bryson are all box-to-box runners.

Grujic offers something different, a strong and composed playmaker from deep. He’s largely played as the ‘No.8’ himself for Liverpool, but it appears he will play the ‘No.6’ role in Warnock’s team – with the occasional license to edge forward.

If you were being harsh on Grujic, you’d say he lacked the decisiveness of Gunnarsson at Hillsborough. But that really is setting the bar too high. The youngster didn’t let anyone down on debut
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: GRUJIC: DO YOU AGREE WITH THE MEDIA VERDICT?

Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:26 am

He may only play the 6 role until Gunnars back, then he pushes forward into the 8 role, fully fit and understanding what the championship is all about

Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:49 am

I thought he was majestic at times and it was no coincidence that as he ran out of gas so the city performance stuttered.Looked like he was treading water on times in the second half but he's young and will soon be up to speed on the fitness front.Well pleased.Same for Yanic too.

Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:57 am

Sven wrote:How Liverpool star Mark Grujic played on his Cardiff City debut - the media verdict
By Dominic Booth

Sunday 21st Jan 2018

Grujic played 77 minutes on his Cardiff City debut, so how did he get on?

Liverpool loanee Marko Grujic made his Cardiff City debut in the 0-0 draw with Sheffield Wednesday.

Neil Warnock, upon signing the 21-year-old, said: “I want to play him, I’m not signing him to make the numbers up.”

And the Yorkshireman, on his return to hometown Sheffield for the clash with fierce adversaries the Owls, was as good as his word.

Grujic played 77 minutes before being replaced by Callum Paterson– and showed flashes of his obvious talent.

Defensive midfield destroyer

Similarities have been drawn between Grujic and Manchester United star Nemanja Matic. Almost immediately at Hillsborough it was easy to see why.

It’s not just the tall, wiry build and Serbian nationality that evokes Matic comparisons; it’s Grujic’s physical style, his positioning just in front of the back four (or three on this occasion) and obvious passion for breaking up the game.

Warnock stationed his new signing on the right side of a central midfield partnership with Joe Ralls, in a 3-4-3.

And after starting with couple of simple interchanges with Jazz Richards, Grujic soon looked for the threaded through-pass, though frequently missed his target when asked to get it forward.

He looked distributing the ball sideways, but it defensively where his impact was felt most – just ask Adam Reach, the recipient of a cynical seventh minute challenge.

That earned Grujic a yellow card and from that moment onwards, he was forced to tread very carefully.

Had he not been booked, you sense he would have committed more force to the tackle. He has the physique to do just that for Cardiff.

Some sloppiness

As you’d expect from a player making his Championship debut, there were some touches from Grujic that went awry.

With the Owls packing their midfield with five men – two wing-backs, plus a central trio of Ross Wallace, David Jones and Adam Reach – the lapses actually didn’t happen as often as the Bluebirds might have feared of their debutant. Grujic largely coped, but like his teammates was visibly ratted as Wednesday lay siege to the visitors goal in a 15-minute second half purple patch.

One skewed clearance just after the break that was followed by a marauding run forward into Wednesday traffic perhaps summed up a mixed evening for the Serbian international.

Yet he was not deterred, soon after hitting an inch-perfect diagonal for Joe Bennett, even applying a cool back-heel as Cardiff passed their way out of trouble.

Grujic then appeared to tire and was promptly replaced by Paterson.

The yin to Joe Ralls’ yang

If Warnock wants a midfield foil for Ralls, the evidence in South Yorkshire suggested Grujic can certainly grow into the role.

The 21-year-old was nowhere near as busy as Ralls, preferring to hold his position and allow the energetic No.8 to bomb forward and join Cardiff’s front three.

But like Ralls, he tracked dutifully, sticking to Wednesday danger man Reach. But he also provided a strength and stature that Cardiff’s other midfielders – Loic Damour, Craig Bryson, even Aron Gunnarsson – don’t possess.

He used his body to make a couple of vital interceptions as the Wednesday counter gathered speed towards the end of the first half, one of them earning Warnock’s approval – “well done Marko”, and a clap.

Then came an excellent driving effort on 37 minutes, on target, the bounce making it awkward for Joe Wildsmith.

With Ralls preferring to dart beyond the Wednesday midfield and knit the play together, Grujic’s fearless range hitting provided a nice change. One criticism aimed at Cardiff’s midfielders this season is that they’re too similar: Ralls, Damour and Bryson are all box-to-box runners.

Grujic offers something different, a strong and composed playmaker from deep. He’s largely played as the ‘No.8’ himself for Liverpool, but it appears he will play the ‘No.6’ role in Warnock’s team – with the occasional license to edge forward.

If you were being harsh on Grujic, you’d say he lacked the decisiveness of Gunnarsson at Hillsborough. But that really is setting the bar too high. The youngster didn’t let anyone down on debut

To be fair that’s exactly as I saw it.
He’ll be s great addition to the squad I’m sure of that.

Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:48 am

Heard some nice clippets of information this week about Grujic

Firstly Klopp has no intention of selling him. He rates him in the £7-10m category already and sees him as a regular Liverpool first teamer in years to come.

Secondly apparently we have provided Liverpool a guarantee that he will play in 14 of the remaining 19 games - if not there is a financial penalty that we will have to pay Liverpool (obviously injury doesnt count)

Thirdly he recently played for Liverpool reserves at Leigh Sports Village. Didnt have the best of games tbh but it was only after the match that the reason become clear. He was suffering badly with this flu virus but such was his passion to actually play football (rather than have the day off) he insisted on playing. This attitude impressed me the most.

Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:39 am

You mustn't forget the championship is a million miles away from premiership in intensity and speed! I think he did ok and will improve quickly. :occasion5:

Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:34 am

He played reasonably well. Wouldn't compare him with Gunnars, who is our best midfielder despite Ralls' great improvement.
I agree that he'll play more forward once Gunnars is fit and then 4-3-3 is inevitable.
He'll take a while to adjust....after all, most of his experience is for Liverpool U.23 team.

Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:48 am

pembroke allan wrote:You mustn't forget the championship is a million miles away from premiership in intensity and speed! I think he did ok and will improve quickly. :occasion5:

What's the Premiership? I thought that was Rugby League? :?

No wonder he looked knackered after a hour! :laughing6:

Seriously, I agree and thought he looked pretty decent myself and linked up well with Wildschut early on, almost getting us a goal. It was inevitable he'd tire and the signs (for me) were promising for the future :thumbright:

Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:51 pm

pembroke allan wrote:You mustn't forget the championship is a million miles away from premiership in intensity and speed! I think he did ok and will improve quickly. :occasion5:

Exactly how I seen it