UPDATED: "CONFIRMED CARDIFF CITY IN TALKS WITH STRIKER"

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Sven » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:13 pm

' UPDATED '

Cardiff City have been in talks for the last 10 days with David McGoldrick, the only stumbling block is McGoldrick wages, Ipswich are happy to let him join Cardiff City :thumbright: :bluebird:

Cardiff City are the favourites to sign Ipswich Town’s David McGoldrick according to odds published by BetVictor

Sunday 21st Jan 2018

The 30-year-old striker has now been at Ipswich for four-and-a-half years, five years if you include the initial loan deal, having signed from Nottingham Forest in 2013. And while he may not have been the most fashionable signing in the world, he has been a very good player for Ipswich and that has continued this season. He has scored eight goals in 22 appearances this season though it is noted he hasn’t netted since mid-November when he scored in a 2-2 draw with Hull City.

However his contract is set to expire in the summer and that has led to many teams sniffing around McGoldrick to see if they can snap him up for a reduced fee. And the bookies believe that the team most likely to sign the six-time capped Republic of Ireland striker are Cardiff City. They are looking for more players to keep their promotion bid going and think bringing in a striker like McGoldrick would be an ideal move. They have been priced at a favourable 2/1.

But they aren’t the only team to be given good odds on signing McGoldrick. Birmingham City have been priced at 4/1 as they look for players who can fire them to safety, Fulham have odds of 6/1 of signing McGoldrick as they look for a new striker after the signing of Rui Fonte did not work out while Leeds United have also been given the same odds as they look to get someone who can improve the side enough to get them into the Sky Bet Championship play-offs.
Attachments
image-3.jpg
image-3.jpg (119.92 KiB) Viewed 8281 times
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: ISPWICH STRIKER NOW LINKED?

Postby Sven » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:13 pm

Sounds like pure speculation and/or guesswork to me, but it's out there... :ayatollah:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Re: ISPWICH STRIKER NOW LINKED?

Postby Bluebird For Life » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:12 pm

Sven wrote:Sounds like pure speculation and/or guesswork to me, but it's out there... :ayatollah:

Decent player at this level, but I think we need better to get us over the line.
Bluebird For Life

Re: UPDATED: "CONFIRMED CARDIFF CITY IN TALKS WITH STRIKER"

Postby Forever Blue » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:27 pm

Cardiff City have been in talks for the last 10 days with David McGoldrick, the only stumbling block is McGoldrick wages, Ipswich are happy to let him join Cardiff City :thumbright: :bluebird:
Attachments
image-3.jpg
image-3.jpg (119.92 KiB) Viewed 8280 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Bluesman » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:39 pm

Don't sign him. Not good enough.
Bluesman

Postby davids » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:42 pm

Bluesman wrote:Don't sign him. Not good enough.

Agree. Average player who has never been particularly prolific.No better than what we currently have.

Does this mean the Grabban transfer is now off (if ever it was on in the first place?)
davids

Postby pengamblue » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:43 pm

thought grabban was our no1 target :bluescarf:
pengamblue

Postby arri potta » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:43 pm

oh the old stumbling block of wages, haven't we had enough dead wood on high wages?????????
arri potta

Postby NIBluebird » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:06 pm

That's not going for promotion

Grabban would be .

Hopefully this is a smokescreen
NIBluebird

Postby thomasblue » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:16 pm

Got to be honest i would have him as 6th choice in our squad if he came.

Zahore
Wildshut
Ward
Bogle
Hoilett
Possibly Healey
Pilkington ?

Would all start a game up front ahead of him in my opinion.
Last edited by thomasblue on Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thomasblue

Postby bluemun » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:16 pm

We must go for Grabban and splash the cash! Don't think McGoldrick is a big improvement on what we've got.
bluemun

Postby blemmy » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:23 pm

Apologies for posting this post again - which I recently posted under another thread on the form "Goalscorer" but I feel so strongly I felt it worth posting again under this thread.

I've never managed a football team in my life but have supported City for nearly 50 years and I can see (as can NW) that we are dropping point after point for the sake of a predatory striker who can turn a loss into a draw and a draw into a win.

I completely agree with an earlier poster that Zohore can score wonder goals but not often enough and he is not the fox in the box we are desperate for up front. We are in an absolutely wonderful position in the league to kick on and secure promotion and we are crying out for a 15+ goal a season man up front.

If we don't get a quality (at least by Championship standards) striker in before the 31st - e.g. someone of the quality of Grabban on loan with an option to buy at the end of the season; by spending relative peanuts when compared to the huge financial rewards of the Premiership; then to me it will make the following clear:

1. Vincent Tan is neither interested in getting us back to the Premiership or selling the club.
2. He has no interest in supporting NW and has brought him to the club under false pretences.
3. NW will not be here next season
4, Get ready for more players than Gunnarson leaving the club in the Summer, i.e. Hoilett, Bamba, Ralls, Morrison.

Come on Mr Tan - prove you want Cardiff back in the Premier league - let's go for it - grab this opportunity - spend a relatively small amount over the next 4 months - give us Grabban and promotion!!!

:clap: :thumbup: :occasion5: :thumbup: :clap:
blemmy

Postby Dai Drope » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:28 pm

As Sven's said Pure Speculation (or at least I hope it is). If we signed McGoldrick rather than somebody like Grabban, then I really BELIEVE we are happy for the lottery of the play offs rather than automatic. Sven I do hope it is speculation!
Dai Drope

Postby blemmy » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:34 pm

Dai Drope wrote:As Sven's said Pure Speculation (or at least I hope it is). If we signed McGoldrick rather than somebody like Grabban, then I really BELIEVE we are happy for the lottery of the play offs rather than automatic. Sven I do hope it is speculation!

Dai - if we don't get a Grabban in we may well be on our way out of even the playoffs. A matter of weeks ago I believe we were13 pts clear of the team in 7th - we are now 6pts ahead of them and teams below us are hitting form and currently picking up at lot more points than we are winning.

:old: :bluebird: :old:
blemmy

Postby Bluebina » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:37 pm

We must be having trouble in getting who we want, Warnock has always said we are after a few and will move down the list to get one in.

It would seem we are near the bottom, still Warnock knows a player, and will get the best out if him, if he comes we should support him, and as usual Warnock will surprise us and he will be better than we are expecting.

Warnock will still be working on other targets and don't be surprised if he gets a different one !!!
Bluebina

Postby Dai Drope » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:42 pm

Agree Blemmy, teams like Villa with their financial power won't hesitate to spend £££'s to get their man and ensue they finish as high as possible. We have a great chance, just need a goal poacher and we will be right up there!
Dai Drope

Postby Steve Zodiak » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:45 pm

Someone like Alan Warboys would do just fine.
Steve Zodiak

Postby blemmy » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:52 pm

Bluebina wrote:We must be having trouble in getting who we want, Warnock has always said we are after a few and will move down the list to get one in.

It would seem we are near the bottom, still Warnock knows a player, and will get the best out if him, if he comes we should support him, and as usual Warnock will surprise us and he will be better than we are expecting.

Blue - whilst I have all the confidence in the world in NW, how far should an owner expect his manager to lower his requirements to boost a team that the manager has really worked miracles to get where they are now spending relatively nothing to use NW's own words?

I simply can't see Grabban himself not wanting to move to Cardiff - he went to Sunderland and stayed there for more than half a season - only leaving because theY seemed obvious relegation fodder. With no bids for Grabban from Premiership clubs and Eddie Howe by his actions, (i.e. didn't select Grabban for the recent cup game), has made it clear to Grabban that his only route to playing in the Premiership is with a promoted club from the Championship. By asking to leave Sunderland, Grabban is clearly ambitious and at the moment there are only 2 teams sitting prettier than us for promotion and neither of those have made concrete moves for Grabban. Therefore the stumbling block must be money - either what we will pay Grabban or what we will pay Bournemouth to take him on loan. I simply cannot see under the circumstances that cost should be the stumbling block for us - I'm certain we have clever enough accountants on board that a deal could be modelled that wouldn't impact on FPP.

:thumbup: :laughing6: ;) :laughing6: :thumbup:
Last edited by blemmy on Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blemmy

Postby blemmy » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:54 pm

Dai Drope wrote:Agree Blemmy, teams like Villa with their financial power won't hesitate to spend £££'s to get their man and ensue they finish as high as possible. We have a great chance, just need a goal poacher and we will be right up there!

This

:ayatollah: :bluescarf: :ayatollah:
blemmy

Postby blemmy » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:03 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:Someone like Alan Warboys would do just fine.

I think his legs have gone Steve - and most other things by now!!

:laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5:

In all seriousness though you are right!
blemmy

Postby WelshPatriot » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:08 pm

blemmy wrote:Apologies for posting this post again - which I recently posted under another thread on the form "Goalscorer" but I feel so strongly I felt it worth posting again under this thread.

I've never managed a football team in my life but have supported City for nearly 50 years and I can see (as can NW) that we are dropping point after point for the sake of a predatory striker who can turn a loss into a draw and a draw into a win.

I completely agree with an earlier poster that Zohore can score wonder goals but not often enough and he is not the fox in the box we are desperate for up front. We are in an absolutely wonderful position in the league to kick on and secure promotion and we are crying out for a 15+ goal a season man up front.

If we don't get a quality (at least by Championship standards) striker in before the 31st - e.g. someone of the quality of Grabban on loan with an option to buy at the end of the season; by spending relative peanuts when compared to the huge financial rewards of the Premiership; then to me it will make the following clear:

1. Vincent Tan is neither interested in getting us back to the Premiership or selling the club.
2. He has no interest in supporting NW and has brought him to the club under false pretences.
4, Get ready for more players than Gunnarson leaving the club in the Summer, i.e. Hoilett, Bamba, Ralls, Morrison.

Come on Mr Tan - prove you want Cardiff back in the Premier league - let's go for it - grab this opportunity - spend a relatively small amount over the next 4 months - give us Grabban and promotion!!!

1. Vincent Tan and Co are working on reducing our £100million plus debt.

2. Read up on FFP and you may realise why we can't just splash the cash especially after having already been punished.
WelshPatriot

Postby Llantwit Blue » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:19 pm

No thanks My Grandma can run backwards faster than this Guy not a Warnock type player.

Certainly need better if we have any hope of top 6 finish.
Llantwit Blue

Postby pembroke allan » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:27 pm

Why are our fans never happy when we are linked to a player if it's not one they would like? :shock:
pembroke allan

Postby blemmy » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:27 pm

WelshPatriot wrote:
blemmy wrote:Apologies for posting this post again - which I recently posted under another thread on the form "Goalscorer" but I feel so strongly I felt it worth posting again under this thread.

1. Vincent Tan and Co are working on reducing our £100million plus debt.

2. Read up on FFP and you may realise why we can't just splash the cash especially after having already been punished.

You are clearly more of an expert that I would ever claim to be on FFP rules and the current state of Cardiff City's financial accounts but the points which I feel are worth making are that:

1. If Grabban commanded £30k/week he would cost us less than £600k over the rest of the season in wages.
2. If we would be paying all his wages I doubt if Bournemouth would want a loan fee as well - if they do then I suspect it would be quid pro quo on his wages - remember Bournemouth don't want him there!
3. NW has said himself he has spent relatively little so far - only he knows what "relatively" actually means - I suspect you and I don't.
4. There may be an FFP danger here - I don't know - but there is an old saying that you have to speculate to accumulate - do we take this golden opportunity or pass it up and send a message to existing and potential fans that the Premiership is not for us again?

Just my honest opinion.

:?: :bluebird: :?:
blemmy

Postby pembroke allan » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:31 pm

Llantwit Blue wrote:No thanks My Grandma can run backwards faster than this Guy not a Warnock type player.

Not a NW type player? Mmm whos trying to get him mickey mouse? :laughing6:
pembroke allan

Postby blemmy » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:44 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
Llantwit Blue wrote:No thanks My Grandma can run backwards faster than this Guy not a Warnock type player.

Nothing personally against Mc Goldrick and if that's who ultimately arrives he will get my full support.

Perhaps though I could explain why NW is trying to get Mc Goldrick. If I was very hungry my first choice would be a nice steak dinner. Failing that fish and chips would be my next choice, Failing that I would take a sandwich and so on down the list and if the only thing I could get would be a couple of mouthfuls of grass then I would eat that rather than starve. I would suggest that Grabban would be NW's steak dinner and McGoldrick would come somewhere below the sandwich but above the grass!!

I don't think I'm alone in my views if you look at the poll on the Grabban of McGoldrick thread!!

:thumbup: :laughing5: :thumbup:
blemmy

Postby lilybull » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:09 pm

healey isn't upto scratch at all, zahore isn't interested, Pilkington has been slagged off by the boss but isn't a striker anyway, ward is KO'd, bogle is sub standard, and mcgoaldrought isn't good enough, where is our aspirations for promotion
lilybull

Postby pembroke allan » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:31 pm

blemmy wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Nothing personally against Mc Goldrick and if that's who ultimately arrives he will get my full support.

Perhaps though I could explain why NW is trying to get Mc Goldrick. If I was very hungry my first choice would be a nice steak dinner. Failing that fish and chips would be my next choice, Failing that I would take a sandwich and so on down the list and if the only thing I could get would be a couple of mouthfuls of grass then I would eat that rather than starve. I would suggest that Grabban would be NW's steak dinner and McGoldrick would come somewhere below the sandwich but above the grass!!

I don't think I'm alone in my views if you look at the poll on the Grabban of McGoldrick thread!!

Sorry that's bollocks you said he's not NW type player if that is correct NW won't go near him 1st choice or 20th! It's a fact NW likes certain type of player and if mcgoldrick is his type he'll go for him :thumbup:
Won't dispute grabban being better though
pembroke allan

Postby blemmy » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:41 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
blemmy wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Sorry that's bollocks you said he's not NW type player if that is correct NW won't go near him 1st choice or 20th! It's a fact NW likes certain type of player and if mcgoldrick is his type he'll go for him :thumbup:
Won't dispute grabban being better though

Sorry Pembroke - it wasn't me who said he wasn't a NW player - that was Llantwit Blue - I was just trying to illustrate how much of a NW type player Mc Goldrick was compared to Grabban
:thumbup:
blemmy

Postby Sven » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:25 am

lilybull wrote:healey isn't upto scratch at all, zahore isn't interested, Pilkington has been slagged off by the boss but isn't a striker anyway, ward is KO'd, bogle is sub standard, and mcgoaldrought isn't good enough, where is our aspirations for promotion

Quote (lilybull): "Zohore isn't interested!"

Really? Do you actually watch the football or just look at the results? :o :shock:

The guy is making his way back from a nasty injury and is playing better game by game as he returns to match fitness and regains his sharpness! ;)

Got to be fair, you made oi larff...rather loudly! ;) :thumbright: :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5: :clap:
Sven

Next

Return to General Chat