Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

We are obsessed about

Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:24 am

Who is not there attendance wise and why!
Let's just enjoy what we are seeing this season - a tight budget and we are currently 3rd within reaching distance of 2nd place. We've got a great cup tie coming up. So what? if we don't quite sell out or if suddenly lots of people are coming out of the woodwork. It's a persons choice whether to go to each game or not! I go to every home match and approx 8 aways a season and we've been through some pretty hard times over the years - my reward for going through this! REALLy appreciating times like this more than someone who turns up for the big matches. But that's upto them. I'm interested in crowd sizes don't get me wrong but not obsessed.

We all perhaps know the real reasons why our crowd is abit lower than usual! For a few years we had the ALMOST in the premier league scenario with playoffs, FA cup finals and the league cup final. We had The excitement of the new stadium built and of course that's bound to draw more people in for a few years. And then we made it to the premier league but it was so short lived and not as good as some people may have expected! The rebrand on top didn't help things when we got relegated but I dont believe that is a big cause. A pretty depressing couple of years followed and people just got sick of it. I don't blame them to an extent and I could have quit but I kept going and lived in hope! All of These people who stopped going won't just come back with a sniff of success - some will. But it's almost like - we've been in the PL and it wasn't all that so the magic isn't as good as the first time round for some. Going forward - With success, people will come and it'll prob be some of the old fans and a whole new set. For now though for people who go - let's enjoy this without worry as not long ago we were bottom!

Re: We are obsessed about

Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:37 am

For people looking in from outside it must be a massive turn off to see us all discussing low attendances and constantly asking where is everyone! And plastics turning up for big games - fickle fans etc etc! Almost slagging people off constantly. It's really upto them if they want to come. And almost trying to persuade someone come is even more of a put off. The free ticket situation is great and the club try their hardest but I wonder whether it all comes across abit desperate - us fans trying to persuade someone else to come etc. From an outside persons perspective - is If you were looking in would you want to come? Perhaps some of the reason people don't come are down to this. Perhaps we are putting people off. I would imagine from an outside perspective - you would want to get the impression that it is an exclusive club which it is a privilege to a part of. Where there is a real buzz no matter the crowd size and it'll be a magical place to bring the whole family or just yourself if you commit to a ST ETC. And even if you can't afford a ST perhaps people will want to try and attend as much as can afford because they would do anything to be there come rain or shine.

I have to say it is a magically exciting and exclusive place to go but are we giving off the wrong impression?

Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:45 am

That's true we would really be in trouble if only 17000 turned up for a FA Cup tie against Manchester City :lol:

Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:58 am

Once a blue always a blue44 wrote:For people looking in from outside it must be a massive turn off to see us all discussing low attendances and constantly asking where is everyone! And plastics turning up for big games - fickle fans etc etc! Almost slagging people off constantly. It's really upto them if they want to come. And almost trying to persuade someone come is even more of a put off. The free ticket situation is great and the club try their hardest but I wonder whether it all comes across abit desperate - us fans trying to persuade someone else to come etc. From an outside persons perspective - is If you were looking in would you want to come? Perhaps some of the reason people don't come are down to this. Perhaps we are putting people off. I would imagine from an outside perspective - you would want to get the impression that it is an exclusive club which it is a privilege to a part of. Where there is a real buzz no matter the crowd size and it'll be a magical place to bring the whole family or just yourself if you commit to a ST ETC. And even if you can't afford a ST perhaps people will want to try and attend as much as can afford because they would do anything to be there come rain or shine.

I have to say it is a magically exciting and exclusive place to go but are we giving off the wrong impression?

It must be a massive turn off mate when they see how low they are mate. Me and my son not missed a game this season and many times away the away section has looked nearly empty and it upsets those that travel that not many others bother to make the effort. then home games the stadium has looked shocking at some games.

Don't forget mate, they must have seen our low crowds on telly, that must also be a massive turn off.
this is is just a fans forum to discuss the crowds and you just started the subject up all over again :D

Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:01 am

For me the catalyst to our poor attendances is the rebrand.

From the moment we went up to our fall and return to our rightful colours you can think of a number of reasons why our crowds are lower than expected and somewhere embedded in the reason is the rebrand. When we came down but were the favourites to go back up I believe quite a few thought they don't want to go through that Premier experience again specially in red. The disaster of OLE and the poor football from Slade all still in red was the final straw. Some will say you should support your club/team whatever but how many fans of other clubs have gone through that crap.

I also believe the majority that have left us will not come back while Tan is there. The fear in the background that he could do a U turn if we get back to the Premier is there. I mean a leopard never changes his spots. For me we will see these prodigal fans return once Tan has gone. In the meantime the only way we will see higher attendances is we start becoming successful again. However if that happens we will be living a false dream. Lets be honest here but this Sunday we might hit the 30,000 mark but how many of us feel it will be our home. It will be like having a 1000 strangers in your house.

Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:06 am

There you are on Facebook this morning from one of the fans of Vince Alms coaches.

It looks like our crowds seem to be the centre of football fans topics, I dare not show you what other clubs say 24/7.

But like another poster has just posted out, you've started another topic on our crowds.

Louis Jones:

This is not a rant, it's a general fact.

We are playing Man City this Sunday at home which is great! No doubt whatsoever we will have a 30,000+ crowd, but that is the only reason we are going to have a big crowd, because we are playing a big team with big players with most fans just turning up to watch Man City play, we are 3rd in the championship on the brink of reaching promotion to the Premier League yet we struggle to get 20,000 for a league game. The team needs its fans more than ever and at this time too. Tickets are cheap as chips and the club have constantly got offers on for ticket price reductions. Get ya arse in gear and start supporting the boys in blue because they need YOU!
\o/ <o> \o/ <o> \o/

Joshua Watson:
Mate it’s so damn cheap it’s mad
My season ticket is like £99 and my ticket for Sunday was £5

Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:14 am

Forever Blue wrote:There you are on Facebook this morning from one of the fans of Vince Alms coaches.

It looks like our crowds seem to be the centre of football fans topics, I dare not show you what other clubs say 24/7.

But like another poster has just posted out, you've started another topic on our crowds.

Louis Jones:

We are playing Man City this Sunday at home which is great! No doubt whatsoever we will have a 30,000+ crowd, but that is the only reason we are going to have a big crowd, because we are playing a big team with big players with most fans just turning up to watch Man City play, we are 3rd in the championship on the brink of reaching promotion to the Premier League yet we struggle to get 20,000 for a league game. The team needs its fans more than ever and at this time too. Tickets are cheap as chips and the club have constantly got offers on for ticket price reductions. Get ya arse in gear and start supporting the boys in blue because they need YOU!
\o/ <o> \o/ <o> \o/

Joshua Watson:

I haven't started a thread about the same issue though Annis. I'm not complaining about the crowds. My issue is with people complaining all the time - it's sure to put people off! No one likes to feel forced or persuaded into something - it takes away the magic of it. That's what my point is. And many people on here complaining at each other are the people who go all the time anyway! Lol I've created this thread to hopefully stop this subject before we put off more people!

Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:19 am

Once a blue always a blue44 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:There you are on Facebook this morning from one of the fans of Vince Alms coaches.

Louis Jones:

\o/ <o> \o/ <o> \o/

Joshua Watson:

I haven't started a thread about the same issue though Annis. I'm not complaining about the crowds. My issue is with people complaining all the time - it's sure to put people off! No one likes to feel forced or persuaded into something - it takes away the magic of it. That's what my point is. And many people on here complaining at each other are the people who go all the time anyway! Lol I've created this thread to hopefully stop this subject before we put off more people!

As previous posters have said, Warnock in the media, Tan in the media , Alm on FB, Other posters on fb, other clubs fans and on tv itself it shows how bad/low the crowds are, so us discussing our crowds on a football forum won't make much difference at al.

I also put out our cheap tickets, dates, times,pay on the day etc etc and try and urge fans to turn up, thats all Vince does as well. :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Its actually Warnock and even Tan who have had quite a few goes at our low crowds.

Your topic has started it all up again regarding our crowds, of course it was going to.

We even had Bamba's wife publicly having ago yesterday.

Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:36 am

Forever Blue wrote:

Louis Jones:

\o/ <o> \o/ <o> \o/

Joshua Watson:

As previous posters have said, Warnock in the media, Tan in the media , Alm on FB, Other posters on fb, other clubs fans and on tv itself it shows how bad/low the crowds are, so us discussing our crowds on a football forum won't make much difference at al.

I also put out our cheap tickets, dates, times,pay on the day etc etc and try and urge fans to turn up, thats all Vince does as well. :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Its actually Warnock and even Tan who have had quite a few goes at our low crowds.

Your topic has started it all up again regarding our crowds, of course it was going to.

On the flip side of that Ive seen quite a few people who don't attend regularly asking - does it make me less of a fan as I can't go to every match? Maybe some seasons a fan may not be able to go at all. I'd be gutted if I had to do that - don't get me wrong but If something happened for example ill health with me or a family member or I simply couldn't afford it I'd have to just leave it for a while. It certainly wouldn't mak me less of a fan. I see people around where I sit coming back now after a period of time away and yes perhaps it was when we were bottom of the league but I also know that some of these people have been attending for years through much harder times too. And as soon as they come back a few comments such as where have you been and glory supporter etc have been said to them. Ok it may appear all just abit of banter but underneath those fans have got to think - why did I bother coming back?! I really think that we are not helping and may almost be driving people away. Don't get me wrong Annis, I love a big crowd and atmosphere and are really looking forward to Man City Home. Not because it's Man City but there's always a chance we could pull it off! I don't care about Man city - I care that we Cardiff city are in the public eye on TV against a big club and we could really get noticed along with the pride of a smaller club doing over a giant. I'm not saying don't encourage and advertise to get people back but it's the constant negativity and whinging around it that Id certainly be put off by. Bamba's wife for example - if I saw that comment and I was thinking of coming back - I'd think sod that, what a cheek!

Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:51 am

Forever Blue wrote:

Louis Jones:

\o/ <o> \o/ <o> \o/

Joshua Watson:

We both want the same thing - a stadium full and a great atmosphere not just for man city but for e season. I'm just saying that we are all going about it differently to try and attract more fans etc :thumbright:

Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:52 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:That's true we would really be in trouble if only 17000 turned up for a FA Cup tie against Manchester City :lol:

The diehards who stopped going only miss smaller fa cup and championship games cos of Tan and the rebrand though.
Last edited by maccydee on Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:54 am

its all the rebrands fault

we would be averaging 30k now otherwise :old:

Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:54 am

paulh_85 wrote:its all the rebrands fault

Bakedalasker multi.

Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:56 am

Forever Blue wrote:

Louis Jones:

\o/ <o> \o/ <o> \o/

Joshua Watson:

Annis without your efforts I genuinely believe we would have a lot less. So many people see your FB posts. Sadly the club don’t have the nous of a Sam or Riddler in advertising effectively. Some good stuff going on but no one knows.

Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:04 am

91 other clubs talking about our crowds 24/7 because it's on here 24/7 365 days a year! :old:

Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:38 am

pembroke allan wrote:91 other clubs talking about our crowds 24/7 because it's on here 24/7 365 days a year! :old:

Completely agree! It's really wearing! BUT no ones disputing the efforts made by people to get more fans on board me included! I just think we need to be more positive about it - not slate people for not coming constantly otherwise they will never come!

Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:53 am

maccydee wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Louis Jones:

\o/ <o> \o/ <o> \o/

Joshua Watson:

Annis without your efforts I genuinely believe we would have a lot less. So many people see your FB posts. Sadly the club don’t have the nous of a Sam or Riddler in advertising effectively. Some good stuff going on but no one knows.

Thank you Neil, as you see I post our offers / prices / pay on the day 10 times a week and Ibreach our to over 50,000 with my group pages, I try my best to be positive on them :thumbright: :bluebird:

Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:58 am

pembroke allan wrote:91 other clubs talking about our crowds 24/7 because it's on here 24/7 365 days a year! :old:

Completely agree! It's really wearing! BUT no ones disputing the efforts made by people to get more fans on board me included! I just think we need to be more positive about it - not slate people for not coming constantly otherwise they will never come!

The both of u need to go on Away Days 165,000 followers and see every weekend, they not me have pics up of every clubs crowds and ours are the most slated, so both get your facts straight .

I use to stick up for us, but it became a total loss cause, as my excuses ran out.

No one expects fans to go to every week, we have a bigger enough fan base to get at least 25,000 average a week and about 1,500 average Away, we have been top 3 for 6 months :thumbright: :bluebird:

But just rem who has started another topic on the crowds, not even the media this time :lol:

Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:07 am

maccydee wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:its all the rebrands fault

Bakedalasker multi.

I doubt it.

Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:09 am

It's quite simple. We are not as big as some think we are or we are not as big as we used to be.

Pick one and get over it.

Like all other "small clubs" we will sell out when we get to the Prem or play a big team.

I know a few may find the "small club" statement hard to swallow but accept it and you will not stress about crowds anymore.

We common or garden football fans are a basic bunch. We dont like being laughed at but we like laughing at others.

Just accept the simple things like, for example, we are better than Leeds and Sunderland we are just not as big as Leeds or Sunderland.

Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:09 am

Forever Blue wrote:

The both of u need to go on Away Days 165,000 followers and see every weekend, they not me have pics up of every clubs crowds and ours are the most slated, so both get your facts straight .

I use to stick up for us, but it became a total loss cause, as my excuses ran out.

No one expects fans to go to every week, we have a bigger enough fan base to get at least 25,000 average a week and about 1,500 average Away, we have been top 3 for 6 months :thumbright: :bluebird:

But just rem who has started another topic on the crowds, not even the media this time :lol:

Yes I've started another topic on the subject but in relation To the way we go about getting new fans on board. I agree with the above posters that your efforts Annis are undoubtedly incredible and I'm sure you're ongoing enthusiasm and loyal support will help bring in lots more fans. I'm just fed up with people going on and on about it in a negative way... Is away days on Twitter? I've started this thread to try and put a stop to the negativity around people who don't come.

Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:21 am

Forever Blue wrote:

Yes sure I'll go away if can afford £150+ every other week plus my ST and travel costs to home games for 2 people! We are slated because it's highlighted every week on here and of course fans read other forums! And ofor course we are only club that as this problem with lack of fans... As for excuses you make me laugh rebrand is never an excuse yet not affording it social reasons ect ect is just an excuse? To me people who don't go because of something that happened 4yrs ago are just making excuses because it suites them. :thumbup:

Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:39 pm

An excellent post and I agree 100% with you. I mentioned on here a few months ago that due to the phenomenal success of the club (by our standards) in recent years, it was inevitable that the novelty would wear off during the leaner years that followed and that this has had more of an impact on our attendances than the rebrand or any other factor.

Our fans have always been fickle for as long as I can remember, so it's no surprise to me that attendances are lower than you would expect for a top 3 side. Mind you, if we were blowing teams away with a level of football seldom seen in this division, I dare say a few more thousand would be tempted out of their armchairs !

Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:43 pm

My previous post is in response to Once a blue's original post.

Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:50 pm

MoodyBluebird wrote:An excellent post and I agree 100% with you. I mentioned on here a few months ago that due to the phenomenal success of the club (by our standards) in recent years, it was inevitable that the novelty would wear off during the leaner years that followed and that this has had more of an impact on our attendances than the rebrand or any other factor.

Our fans have always been fickle for as long as I can remember, so it's no surprise to me that attendances are lower than you would expect for a top 3 side. Mind you, if we were blowing teams away with a level of football seldom seen in this division, I dare say a few more thousand would be tempted out of their armchairs !

:thumbright: great post in response mate!
I remember our first season at the Cardiff city stadium. Many attendances were around 20-23k. Now that's ba arming in mind we had a brand new stadium so people would be drawn in because of that alone, we'd had recent FA cup final and looking close to promotion. Many people probably even renewed Hopi g that we would be in the PL at the start of the new stadium season. On top of that people still hasn't experienced the premier league. It was like a magical dream for many fans as we hadn't been there for nearly half a century! So with all that in mind crowds of 20-23 approx is what it was then! Since then we've got there and experienced the premier league and it was short lived and a quite miserable relegation plus those couple of seasons to follow at times it was rather depressing down there. THIS TIME AROUND - it's different!

Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:57 pm

MoodyBluebird wrote:An excellent post and I agree 100% with you. I mentioned on here a few months ago that due to the phenomenal success of the club (by our standards) in recent years, it was inevitable that the novelty would wear off during the leaner years that followed and that this has had more of an impact on our attendances than the rebrand or any other factor.

:thumbright: great post in response mate!
I remember our first season at the Cardiff city stadium. Many attendances were around 20-23k. Now that's ba arming in mind we had a brand new stadium so people would be drawn in because of that alone, we'd had recent FA cup final and looking close to promotion. Many people probably even renewed Hopi g that we would be in the PL at the start of the new stadium season. On top of that people still hasn't experienced the premier league. It was like a magical dream for many fans as we hadn't been there for nearly half a century! So with all that in mind crowds of 20-23 approx is what it was then! Since then we've got there and experienced the premier league and it was short lived and a quite miserable relegation plus those couple of seasons to follow at times it was rather depressing down there. THIS TIME AROUND - it's different!

It's different because we have already done it and seen it for a start! So in order to get crowds of 20-23k again average we need to get back and above that level for that to happen. I'd say a close top 3 place come the last 2 months of the season would do it. And perhaps beating Man city too! Promotion will definitely help if it was to happen and with that I'd say we would then be averaging 26 - 30k depending on the teams played. Don't forget that give it a few years and we will gain a whole new set of fans in the youngsters too. The next generation! But going back to people being out off - if for example there was a local horse racing club (just an example) and even though I'd taken notice but never gone I was interested a little. But then when I look abit closer people are slating people for not going! And if I was to join people may ask me where was I last year when the riding club was in dire straits? Well in all, Honesty I'd think to myself sod that - I just want to have a good time and make friends not be slated or made to feel uncomfortable! It's just an example and could be applied to many similar or u similar clubs to Cardiff city and football. People want to feel like they are joint something unique and special. They will belong! Don't forget a big part of football is a sense of belonging!

Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:02 pm

Outsiders will want to be thinking - what is this Cardiff city football club? It looks really interesting and gives me a buzz to think I could go and watch them alot with many other fans. But it's an exclusive club and it'll be a privilege to join - NOT to be moaned at alot the way for not coming earlier or every match etc.

All that said Iam on exactly the same hymn sheet as you all - I want larger crowds and great atmosphere. I have a great passion for Cardiff just like many of you on here but I just feel if the approach to bringing new fans on board was altered perhaps there would be more! :bluescarf:

Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:12 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:For me the catalyst to our poor attendances is the rebrand.

From the moment we went up to our fall and return to our rightful colours you can think of a number of reasons why our crowds are lower than expected and somewhere embedded in the reason is the rebrand. When we came down but were the favourites to go back up I believe quite a few thought they don't want to go through that Premier experience again specially in red. The disaster of OLE and the poor football from Slade all still in red was the final straw. Some will say you should support your club/team whatever but how many fans of other clubs have gone through that crap.

I also believe the majority that have left us will not come back while Tan is there. The fear in the background that he could do a U turn if we get back to the Premier is there. I mean a leopard never changes his spots. For me we will see these prodigal fans return once Tan has gone. In the meantime the only way we will see higher attendances is we start becoming successful again. However if that happens we will be living a false dream. Lets be honest here but this Sunday we might hit the 30,000 mark but how many of us feel it will be our home. It will be like having a 1000 strangers in your house.

You were a stranger once. Everyone has to start somewhere.

You say rebrand but give a load of other reasons too.

ONCE MORE SO IT HOPEFULLY FINALLY GETS IN. HOW CAN IT BE REBRAND RELATED WHEN THE TWO YEARS POST REBRAND WERE AMONGST OUR HIGHEST CROWDS IN MANY A YEAR AND ONLY TRULY DROPPED SIGNIFICANTLY ONCE IN BLUE.

Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:13 pm

This is the main problem. We are all looking for excuses. its like there has to be an excuse. New ground, poor football, re-brand and of course the one i heard recently. 'didn't go since they sold toshack'

its easy to use an excuse it makes a closed case.

I honestly think the real reason is that we are not a big club. we had 10 years of being spoiled with cup finals, play offs and a new stadium which made the average crowds increase.

We have not won anything party from one FA cup. We have had a handful of European nights but thats it.

I know lots of people that will tell you they used to support Cardiff but that ends when reality kicks in. We are the biggest club in the world for ex fans.

Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:24 pm

Leon1927 wrote:This is the main problem. We are all looking for excuses. its like there has to be an excuse. New ground, poor football, re-brand and of course the one i heard recently. 'didn't go since they sold toshack'

its easy to use an excuse it makes a closed case.

I honestly think the real reason is that we are not a big club. we had 10 years of being spoiled with cup finals, play offs and a new stadium which made the average crowds increase.

We have not won anything party from one FA cup. We have had a handful of European nights but thats it.

I know lots of people that will tell you they used to support Cardiff but that ends when reality kicks in. We are the biggest club in the world for ex fans.

Virtually spot on :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

And lost quite a few fans during the Rebrand years, but your mainly spot on Leon :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird: