Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Did Cardiff City have a good transfer window?

You may select 1 option

View results

CARDIFF CITY TRANSFER WINDOW OVER / GOOD OR BAD WINDOW?

Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:40 am

That’s it for Cardiff City’s transfer window. No more ins and outs to come.

How do you view the January transfer window?

Players In

Liam Feeney - Extended Loan
Yanic Wildschut - Loan
Marko Grujic - Loan
Gary Madine - Undisclosed
Jamie Ward - Loan

Armand Traore: Cardiff City sign left-back after his release from Forest as a Fee Agent.

Players Out

Lee Tomlin - Loan
Omar Bogle - Loan
Lee Camp - Loan

Re: “ CARDIFF CITY TRANSFER WINDOW OVER / GOOD OR BAD WINDOW

Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:49 am

Think you've jumped the gun a little here, maybe one more to come in

Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:55 am

Bellamys barmy army wrote:Think you've jumped the gun a little here, maybe one more to come in

Been reported by all media sources that this is it.

Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:01 am

Let’s be honest, madines not a bad player. Jamie ward I couldn’t give a sh*t about. Bogle has been by far our best striker when he’s played and tomlin was our only number 10 that could change a game. Bad imo

Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:33 am

Feeney- a pointless signing, id be surprised if he got on the bench with all the wingers we now have
Wildschut - decent signing
Grujic - good on paper but hasn't played much football so we'll have to wait and see
Madine - Imo I think we've over spent on a bang average striker who's record proves that and this signing could be the difference between getting promotion and finishing outside the top 6. Hope he turns out good though I really do.
Ward - What was the point of this signing? another winger :banghead:

The big let down for me was the loaning out of Tomlin and Bogle who proved against Norwich that they can make a difference and I don't know what Bogle did wrong tbh. And Tomlin is better than Jamie Ward fact.

Ok transfer window but could have been better imo.

Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:21 am

I think we have just blown our chance of getting in the top two, We should have spent the Madine money on Grabben. I think we have fidddly faffed up massively by doing this. I'm sad to lose Tomlin as well. The other signings are average at best. I hope that Warnock can get the best out of them but I have a feeling but on our current form I think we will finish in 6-8th position.

Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:58 am

Cardiff went from having an excellent transfer window (at 9pm) to a poor one in 3 hours! Why did we let Bogle go?!

Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:34 am

Tomshort1927 wrote:Let’s be honest, madines not a bad player. Jamie ward I couldn’t give a sh*t about. Bogle has been by far our best striker when he’s played and tomlin was our only number 10 that could change a game. Bad imo

Nail hit

Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:36 am

Could of been better :ayatollah:

Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:58 am

SHOCKING

Given we are 4th this is the worst window ever

Lack of ambition from the club. Maybe we, the supporters have more ambition than the owner/board.

I get FFP but our signings hardly set the world on fire.

We can kiss 2nd bye bye and I will be surprised if we even make the playoffs.

I'll always support the Bluebirds ( have done since 77) but I feel MASSIVELY let down.

Ceri

Re: FULL LIST CARDIFF C TRANSFER WINDOW OVER/GOOD OR BAD WIN

Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:05 am

All rushed no thought
-sending out more talented/hungry players off on loan in our position just bamboozled - we’ve added slightly to our quality but nothing to make you think we’re aerious contenders

Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:09 am

In Warnock we trust :bluescarf:

Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:22 am

All the best to the 3 going but are the ones coming in any better?
Ward a bench warmer at best Madine a lump ball player ,very disappointed .

Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:46 am

Tomlin will put one over us when we play Forest, big mistake I think.

Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:53 am

1980s Bluebird wrote:Tomlin will put one over us when we play Forest, big mistake I think.

He can’t play against us as on loan from us

Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:02 am

Going out:- Camp makes sense to get him off wage bill...Tomlin for whatever reason the transfer hasn't worked out, wasn't going to get much game time , disappointing but makes sense to get him off wage bill...Bogle was now about 4 choice striker needs game time as still probably has a future here again makes sense

Coming in :- Fenney bit of a waste of time just making up numbers..

.Madine you know what your getting in form and scoring no nonsense no 9 typical Warnock player completely different to Zohore good signing

Ward proven at this level straight replacement for Danny Ward good squad player

Wildshut bags of ability and genuine pace will be a very good addition with games under his belt possibly a game changer off the bench....

Grojic a big gamble obviously highly rated at Liverpool young Croation international needs to quickly get up to speed with Championship football and could be very decent signing

My overall view bit of a scattergun approach fromWarnock but teams have worked us out after our great start..we are probably going to see a change in the style and shape of the team in the next few weeks but overall a pretty decent transfer window in my opinion

Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:12 am

NIBluebird wrote:
1980s Bluebird wrote:Tomlin will put one over us when we play Forest, big mistake I think.

He can’t play against us as on loan from us

Thank feck for that :thumbup:

Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:16 am

oohahhPaulMillar wrote:Going out:- Camp makes sense to get him off wage bill...Tomlin for whatever reason the transfer hasn't worked out, wasn't going to get much game time , disappointing but makes sense to get him off wage bill...Bogle was now about 4 choice striker needs game time as still probably has a future here again makes sense

Coming in :- Fenney bit of a waste of time just making up numbers..

.Madine you know what your getting in form and scoring no nonsense no 9 typical Warnock player completely different to Zohore good signing

Ward proven at this level straight replacement for Danny Ward good squad player

Wildshut bags of ability and genuine pace will be a very good addition with games under his belt possibly a game changer off the bench....

Grojic a big gamble obviously highly rated at Liverpool young Croation international needs to quickly get up to speed with Championship football and could be very decent signing

My overall view bit of a scattergun approach fromWarnock but teams have worked us out after our great start..we are probably going to see a change in the style and shape of the team in the next few weeks but overall a pretty decent transfer window in my opinion

Grojic Croation ? Well that’s new

Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:30 am

Feeney is actually is very good crosser. He will be slightly more important now Madine is here. Ward was very good a few years back at Derby....maybe Warnock is what he needs.
Tomlin is just moving nearer home....Sorry to see him go. Bogle I find puzzling, as he's always impressed.

Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:43 am

Some good additions so a good window, but, he is obviously happy with the ball bypassing midfield as we are still missing a proven midfield general.

Tomlin, a great player on his day for ward? We got shafted and have strengthened a rival whilst we have taken baggage who’d been out on loan.

Swap him if you don’t want him, fair enough but that’s seems like a great deal for forest.

Another 1st choice number 1 target though to go with the 4 or 5 1st choice targets competition for zahore, maybe even big strong partner up front so looking forward to those battles.

Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:51 am

I have made several posts over the last week questioning the club's ambitions if we didn't get Grabban but now the window is closed and we know how issues have panned out, my views are:

Feeney - quite impressed me late on in the Man City game - tore their full back a new ars***ole on a couple of occasions. NML is so far from what he was its unbelievable. Harris is still not where we want him to be so Feeney is a useful signing.

Wildschut - already showed he will be an asset - great signing!

Grujic - again showed some nice touches against Man City - improved over first game. I believe this lad could be very, very good over the rest of the season. Perhaps brought in as a replacement for what we expected to get from Tomlin.

Ward - don't know much about this guy but has been good in the past - perhaps NW sees something in him - even if just an addition to squad strength - another weapon in the armoury?

Madine - clearly suits our style. We have bought one of if not the current form striker in the Championship. Eighteen games to go - 10 to 12 goals and we could be right where we want to be in May. In addition this guy is also a "slugger" and the help that could give Ken could get us another 8-10 goals from that source. Grabban used us - Villa are welcome to him - dodgy character lacking loyalty.

As far as the 3 outs are concerned they contributed little and NW decided to concentrate his efforts on behalf of the City on other players - he has the experience of 7 promotions and is entitled to be backed by us the fans on that record imho.

Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:53 am

Don't get it Bogle gone!...Tomlin ended up being a waste of money (NOT IN MY EYES)why on earth have we let him go.Cannot believe in the whole of january the lack of talent brought in,confused now what's going on,Chamakh,Richardson,Meite,Bogle,Tomlin,camp,all brought in and let go with virtually no game time.In my opinion the team is getting worse Halford and Grujic offer nothing,Pilks have been(who had one foot out the door)a sub for the non performing,don't care Zohore,probably another season passes by, too many already good teams out there bolstered in the window.And for all those extra fans that turned up for the Man city game this transfer deadline is no carrot to the donkey.

Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:56 am

Somewhere between perfect and alright but no other option.

I would say good and successful, got in some good players in key areas.

Could it have been better yes but I'd think most clubs would say that.

Some good additions in key positions and those left have hardly featured. In the long run getting bogle and tomlin game time can only help.

Squad certainly looks to have more options and depth than the start of Jan.

Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:05 am

Pretty good window for me.
Quite happy.

Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:16 am

Really disappointing transfer window. Cannot understand why Bogle is being overlooked and he hasn’t been given a decent run of games. Crying out for him to come on with some pace against Man City but Pilks was preferred.

We lack creativity in the middle of the park which Tomlin gave us. He could come off the bench and turn games. NW seems to be putting all his eggs in one basket out wide.

Would have liked us us to sign a Rolls Royce striker (Grabban (Villa) /Mitrovic (Fulham) but instead we got a much cheaper model. Over the last couple of windows seem to have brought in a lot of players who seem to have been around for a long time & possibly past their best.

Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:16 am

Compared to other teams in the chamionship it was a poor window,
teams in and around a us have brought on a lot of quality

Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:31 am

To be honest some Warnock signings have paid off and some haven't. I guess that's what you get when you haven't a lot of money to spend - it's abit of a gamble but you don't lose a lot of money if it goes wrong! Bamba, Hoilett, Mendez Laing have been brilliant (OK Mendez Laing has gone abit quiet of late but has the potential to get it back again). Let's give these news signings a chance and see tHey pan out. If we win against Leeds we will be back in 3rd place. My predictions pre season were to finish between 5-9th and that is still the case - I believe Neil Warnock may just drag us over the line into a play off spot though. If that's the case it'll be a nervous but exciting end to the season. Don't forget some people predicted that we would finish 14-16th. I never expected to finish 2nd in the league but if we do it would be an incredible achievement. To come in the top 6 will still be a brilliant achievement - let's not forget that! I have a feeling give it a few games and the team will suddenly click back into the way they were playing in August,September and October! With other teams spending on a lot of quality they will also probably do the same so our aim will be to stay in the play off places! Remember unexpected teams go up sometimes - look at Blackpool and Swansea!

Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:55 am

A very good window under the circumstances.January transfer window is hated by most managers and its not hard to see why.I can't help feeling we've dodged a bullet by not getting Grabbam and if Tomlin takes to Forest we may be able to get our money back in the summer.

Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:07 am

Warnock assumedly did the best he could in trying circumstances.

I would not want Grabban as he just shown he is a mercenary.

Madine is what it says on the tin. He'll keep the ball and get stuck in. Unsure of he'll partner Zahore?

Don't get why Bogle was sent out. City are short on forwards with a rookie in Healey and Pilkington. Madine is on 7 yellows so he'll likely get a 2 match suspension.

Ward? Horrible little player. Reminds me of when we signed Liam Lawrence. Won't pull up trees but will do ok but not a player to win a game.

Grujic will be an asset as will Willdscut.

Plus we kept Bamba amid gossip and rumour.

As for Tomlin, well assume that behind the scenes he just was not cutting it. Best to let him adrift if he was not going to play.

Gunnarrson surely will be back soon to beef up central midfield. Bryson?

The team will probably play a different type of game now with the addition of Madine. Wingers will be essential to sling in crosses to him, and hopefully someone can tap in any rebounds.

Overall about 6.5 out of 10.
Last edited by Danny Says on Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:07 am

Cantonblu wrote:Don't get it Bogle gone!...Tomlin ended up being a waste of money (NOT IN MY EYES)why on earth have we let him go.Cannot believe in the whole of january the lack of talent brought in,confused now what's going on,Chamakh,Richardson,Meite,Bogle,Tomlin,camp,all brought in and let go with virtually no game time.In my opinion the team is getting worse Halford and Grujic offer nothing,Pilks have been(who had one foot out the door)a sub for the non performing,don't care Zohore,probably another season passes by, too many already good teams out there bolstered in the window.And for all those extra fans that turned up for the Man city game this transfer deadline is no carrot to the donkey.

I think we are going for Hoof Ball counter attack for the final run in