Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Goals from crosses, will make the difference

Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:29 pm

First goal Traore cross headed by Paterson
Second Paterson cross to the box scored Hoilett
Third free kick Hoilett headed in by Morrison
Fourth cross from Patterson scored by Pilkington

I have been saying all season we’ve been disappointing from crosses long throws the and corners, with Madine and Patterson up there we looked a different team, and much harder to mark.

I think we will score much more of these types of goals in the run in, which could make the difference between play offs and autos, no team will really want to play us now, we are turning back into a proper Warnock team.

Re: Goals from crosses, will make the difference

Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:34 pm

Bluebina wrote:First goal Traore cross headed by Paterson

I have been saying all season we’ve been disappointing from crosses long throws the and corners, with Madine and Patterson up there we looked a different team, and much harder to mark.

I think we will score much more of these types of goals in the run in, which could make the difference between play offs and autos, no team will really want to play us now, we are turning back into a proper Warnock team.

You are right my friend :thumbup: that's the key to success for the style we have, good crosses, and players who have excellent heading ability. Not sure where this leaves Zohore :o

Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:55 pm

ThomasC wrote:

You are right my friend :thumbup: that's the key to success for the style we have, good crosses, and players who have excellent heading ability. Not sure where this leaves Zohore :o

On a technical point 2 ofour goals were from crosses into the box (patersons and morrisons )
The other 2 goals were passes into the box
Surely a cross is aerial and a pass is more along the . Ground as was the . Holliot and / pilks goals
However more . Of. Both will surely get us more goals

Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:34 pm

troobloo3339 wrote:
ThomasC wrote:

On a technical point 2 ofour goals were from crosses into the box (patersons and morrisons )
The other 2 goals were passes into the box
Surely a cross is aerial and a pass is more along the . Ground as was the . Holliot and / pilks goals
However more . Of. Both will surely get us more goals

A cross is a cross, one in the air is a high or floating cross, but low or drilled crosses are just as effective :thumbup:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross_(football)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross_(football)
In association football, a cross is a medium- to-long-range pass from a wide area of the field towards the centre of the field near the opponent's goal. Specifically, the intention of a cross is to directly bring the ball into the box from an angle that allows the attacking forwards to more easily aim for goal with their head or feet.

Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:01 pm

Well I stand corrected

Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:38 am

Spot on that. I was really disappointed we didn’t get Grabban and got Madine at first but afterwards thought about the way we play and we have missed a target man as Zohore is not one of those so I also think we will score more goals from set pieces.

Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:49 am

I remember once , we could only score from set pieces, only one on Saturday was from a set piece. We are now looking dangerous from open play as well.
But with Morrison Madine Bamba and Pattison , at corners and free kicks them four are going to be a nightmare to mark.

Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:46 pm

nojac wrote:I remember once , we could only score from set pieces, only one on Saturday was from a set piece. We are now looking dangerous from open play as well.
But with Morrison Madine Bamba and Pattison , at corners and free kicks them four are going to be a nightmare to mark.

We certainly are the amounts of goals scored from crosses into the box is amazing !!!

Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:04 pm

Bluebina wrote:
nojac wrote:I remember once , we could only score from set pieces, only one on Saturday was from a set piece. We are now looking dangerous from open play as well.

We certainly are the amounts of goals scored from crosses into the box is amazing !!!

Grujic aint too shabby in the air either!

Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:41 pm

It was good to see Zohore getting an old fashioned sniffer's goal against Brentford. Took it well, and nice to see him getting on the end of something in or around the six yard box. I have said previously that you can only get so many of his eye catching screamers in a season, but if he is to be a 20 goal a season striker, it is those sort of goals like the one at Brentford that he will need to be scoring on a regular basis. He took it well, made it look easier than it actually was, and hopefully that is just the start. I have always been critical of him as a goal scorer, but the rest of his game is decent enough and the couple of goals he has scored recently may be the confidence booster he needs. I hope there are more to come, we need them over the next few weeks.

Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:00 pm

Wolves score a lot of goals from free kicks corners as well. :thumbup: