Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Nathaniel Mendez-Laing? "

Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:49 am

Where does Nathaniel Mendez-Laing fit in to Neil Warnocks team?

A new wing dilemma

He's a man who knows a thing or two about getting white paint on his boots having operated on the wing during his playing days.

But Warnock's team news certainly raised a few eyebrows at Elland Road, most notably with Nathaniel Mendez-Laing missing out on the matchday squad entirely.

Yanic Wildschut was given the nod to start while Liam Feeney was named among the substitutes, and speaking after his side's emphatic victory, Warnock revealed his decision to drop Mendez-Laing was purely tactical as it would be more likely to benefit the Bluebirds' new frontman Gary Madine.

"There was nothing wrong (with Mendez-Laing), but that’s the options we’ve got," said Warnock.

"Like Pilkington, Feeney has been a revelation in training and I felt with Madine, if I needed a winger to get crosses in with 20 minutes to go, he would get more crosses in than Mendez."

So while Junior Hoilett is untouchable on the left of Cardiff's front three, it remains to be seen who Warnock will go with on the right between now and the end of the season.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: " Nathaniel Mendez-Laing? "

Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:58 am

As some Rochdale fan posted on here when we signed him, starts season well then fades, he needs to get his mojo back because earlier in the season he was a menace for defenders!

Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:05 am

He has lost his confidence since he stopped scoring. Like Nooney he's a bit predictable and, to be honest, can't cross the ball as well as Feeney ( who could feed Madine better than anyone).

Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:26 am

The bigger the squad gets then naturally somebody is not going to make the match day squad, he's been excellent for us has come from a lower league and I think he will still play a massive part this season. He will only get better next season after the experience gained from this season.

It's difficult to be on your game all season as a winger in this division, he will come again. :thumbup:

Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:16 pm

I think its harsh to drop him out completely.

Maybe a kick up the backside he needs though.

Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:36 pm

2blue2handle wrote:I think its harsh to drop him out completely.

Maybe a kick up the backside he needs though.

It's not always a kick up the backside, sometimes form is out or legs are heavy and just not at the races.

Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:48 pm

Nathaniel Mendez-Laing (or plain Lang if you can't be bothered) was probably just rested for the Leeds Utd match and could be on course for a return against Millwall

Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:32 pm

Deffo needs some time out and he will come back fit and firing. :thumbright: :ayatollah:

Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:48 pm

We have to remember this is his first season in the championship and he will come good again :bluebird:

Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:06 pm

Manchester Taffy wrote:We have to remember this is his first season in the championship and he will come good again :bluebird:

No it isn't he played for Peterborough in 2012/13.

Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:43 pm

Like Zohore, he hasn't played well for ages and deserved to be dropped.

Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:49 pm

Yes you are right did play for Peterborough but he will come good again :occasion5: :bluebird:

Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:50 pm

Right decision from Warnock. Hopefully he responds,just like Anthony Pilkington has.

Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:25 am

Totally agree with mugsy,don't perform,sit on the bench or be dropped completely,can't afford for anyone to be carried.

Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:05 am

I would bring him back into squad on Friday but on the bench to impact with 20 mins to go