Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Neil Warnock: "We had a £10-£12mill Offer"

Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:55 am

Neil Warnock on Zohore and Madine's arrival

NEIL WARNOCK:

"We lost major players for quite a long time in Morrison, Zohore, Gunnarsson and I think we needed an influx of new bodies, even for banter in the dressing room, and we couldn’t rely on poor old Zohore on his own up front for so long so I was pleased to get Madine. He was my number one choice but I didn’t think we would get him."

"When we got Marko on loan from Liverpool it released the funds because I was going to spend £3m on Forshaw so I spent it on one player. They could play together against certain teams against certain systems, it’s a possibility, and we will look at it at some stage."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Neil Warnock on Zohore and Madine's arrival

Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:57 am

Zohore transfer interest and his confidence

NEIL WARNOCK:

"We had £10-£12m interest but I feel a bit sorry for (Zohore), because as a team we didn’t play so well, didn’t create enough chances, we never gave him the opportunities, they were few and far between, so rather than be relaxed when he got those opportunities he snatched at one or two, but there’s signs of him coming back into it, and as daft as it sounds Madine coming in will help him."

"He can have a breather, have a look at the situation and I think it’ll be easier for him now. One thing I’m sure of, if we are to get into the play-offs we’ll need Ken Zohore between now and the end of the season."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:16 am

Forever Blue wrote:Zohore transfer interest and his confidence

NEIL WARNOCK:

"We had £10-£12m interest but I feel a bit sorry for (Zohore), because as a team we didn’t play so well, didn’t create enough chances, we never gave him the opportunities, they were few and far between, so rather than be relaxed when he got those opportunities he snatched at one or two, but there’s signs of him coming back into it, and as daft as it sounds Madine coming in will help him."

"He can have a breather, have a look at the situation and I think it’ll be easier for him now. One thing I’m sure of, if we are to get into the play-offs we’ll need Ken Zohore between now and the end of the season."
should of taken it and used some of the money yo replace him

Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:20 am

wez1927 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:Zohore transfer interest and his confidence

NEIL WARNOCK:

should of taken it and used some of the money yo replace him

If its def true, I totally agree with you Wez :thumbright:

Re: Neil Warnock: "We had a £10-£12mill Offer"

Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:48 am

That's a bit less than the £15m to £20m that some people were suggesting he was worth. I would have taken the money, not sure if we will get that sort of offer again.

Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:55 am

Apart from the latter stages of last season,i cant see him being worth that amount,irrelevant of the way we play,zahore doesn't stand out and hasn't done anything of note

Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:33 pm

I said back in the summer we should sell him for the money banter about,I’m not knocking the player but we could have got 3 new players in.

Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:47 pm

theclaw wrote:I said back in the summer we should sell him for the money banter about,I’m not knocking the player but we could have got 3 new players in.

For 12 mil we could've had a new starting 11 the way Warnock spends his cash :thumbright:

Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:58 pm

I think people have been totally unfair on Zohore.

Its funny as well I seem to remember there being a massive concern he would go in the summer and everyone wanted him to stay, now all of a sudden everyone thinks he should have gone. Yes he is struggling a little at the moment, if he can hit form now the pressure if off him a little with Medine signings then no doubt he can be the difference for us like he was towards the end of the season last season. God forbid we try and support a player who is hitting a tough patch.

Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:01 pm

2blue2handle wrote:I think people have been totally unfair on Zohore.

Its funny as well I seem to remember there being a massive concern he would go in the summer and everyone wanted him to stay, now all of a sudden everyone thinks he should have gone. Yes he is struggling a little at the moment, if he can hit form now the pressure if off him a little with Medine signings then no doubt he can be the difference for us like he was towards the end of the season last season. God forbid we try and support a player who is hitting a tough patch.

football is a fickle business

Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:35 pm

I am happy Zohore has come out with this, nice to see a bit of realism on the Zohore situation.

Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:39 pm

If his goal hadn't been disallowed against Wednesday people wouldn't be so quick to say we should of sold him , he picks up a good run of goals between now and the end of the season then the big teams will come looking again for him for 10million plus .

Still a raw player with all the necessary attributes just needs a bit more coaching , people need to remember he is still a young player .

Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:40 pm

In all truth zahore has been bad more than good in his time at Cardiff,yes I agree let's all support him through the bad patch(most of the season he's been very poor mind)

Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:41 pm

Flyingpostman wrote:

If his goal hadn't been disallowed against Wednesday people wouldn't be so quick to say we should of sold him , he picks up a good run of goals between now and the end of the season then the big teams will come looking again for him for 10million plus .

Still a raw player with all the necessary attributes just needs a bit more coaching , people need to remember he is still a young player .

He has been a pro for nearly 8 years, he is 24 years old now so is approx half way through his career. I think he has had a fair bit of time to prove himself, and I still can't get my head around why he is so highly thought of given that he has had one brief three or four month spell where he played well, scored a few goals, but nothing much before and nothing much since. As I have said before, I don't think he will ever be much more than a 10 goal a season striker, but I think he can still do a job for us. As for £12m, I would have taken it without a second thought.

Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:48 pm

caerblue wrote:

In all truth zahore has been bad more than good in his time at Cardiff,yes I agree let's all support him through the bad patch(most of the season he's been very poor mind)

I disagree he has been poor this season, he started the season well until his injury. He needs to add more goals to his game again and I think he has struggled having to he the loan man all the time. Medine coming in will help. He set up the goal against Sunderland using his power and pace he just needs that boost now.

He isn't young but at 24 still plenty of years left in him, some players developed later than others. He is still learning.

Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:08 pm

I love how people say all this like we are a team that creates 20 chances a game, strikers need service and we don't give the best service to Zohore, I think people forget sometimes when strikers aren't scoring they contribute by coming short and linking up the play.. prime example is Ralls goal v Sunderland.. he does his best when he ain't getting chances by linking up the play.

Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:12 pm

DandoCCFC wrote:I love how people say all this like we are a team that creates 20 chances a game, strikers need service and we don't give the best service to Zohore, I think people forget sometimes when strikers aren't scoring they contribute by coming short and linking up the play.. prime example is Ralls goal v Sunderland.. he does his best when he ain't getting chances by linking up the play.

Presumably Copenhagen and Brondby could'nt have created much either, 49 games combined and just six goals.

Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:30 pm

Good post. Hits a rough patch and a lot want to use him as another scapegoat instead of supporting him.
People saying take the money as if it were their own.
If Warnock wants to keep him then I’d rather trust in him.

Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:34 pm

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:

Good post. Hits a rough patch and a lot want to use him as another scapegoat instead of supporting him.

Read Steves post above ^^^

Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:37 pm

CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:

Why?
He’s got his opinion I’ve got mine.
I also believe in our managers opinion.

Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:49 pm

Why?

I'm not saying you aren't entitled to your opinion, everyone is :thumbright:

I'm just saying that 49 games and 6 goals in a poor league isn't very clever is it?

Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:51 pm

Why?

All about opinions, and I certainly am not saying I am right and others are wrong, as you say we all have our own views on various things.
I am not saying I think Zahore is a bad player, in fact I think he is a very decent player. I just think he has been over-hyped on this forum with many saying last Summer that he was the best striker outside of the PL, worth £15m to £20m, and that he was our main hope of getting us promoted. My opinion is that his career stats do not match these predictions, and that the hype was based on a brief period during his career where he hit a golden patch of form, and for a few months could do nothing wrong. The rest of his career has been very different, with his scoring stats below average.
He will get more goals this season I'm sure, but nowhere near enough to be our main hope of promotion.

Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:06 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
caerblue wrote:

I disagree he has been poor this season, he started the season well until his injury. He needs to add more goals to his game again and I think he has struggled having to he the loan man all the time. Medine coming in will help. He set up the goal against Sunderland using his power and pace he just needs that boost now.

He isn't young but at 24 still plenty of years left in him, some players developed later than others. He is still learning.

For me mate,a striker is judged on his goalscoring,and zahore just don't seem to be a 20 goal a season striker we really need,a question for you?,if Cardiff had paid 12 million for zahore,would you be happy now with the return?

Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:37 pm

caerblue wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:
caerblue wrote:

For me mate,a striker is judged on his goalscoring,and zahore just don't seem to be a 20 goal a season striker we really need,a question for you?,if Cardiff had paid 12 million for zahore,would you be happy now with the return?

We went up last time without a goal scorer, while I agree he needs to score more there is another side to a striker.

No if we paid 12m for him I wouldn't be impressed but we didn't we paid 1m. It's not his fault another club bid a certain amount for him and we turned it down either. On the flip side if we paid 12m for him and he performed like he did the last 6months of last season I'd think a bargain. He has the potential to do it again so I'll back him all the way.

Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:10 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
caerblue wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:
caerblue wrote:

We went up last time without a goal scorer, while I agree he needs to score more there is another side to a striker.

No if we paid 12m for him I wouldn't be impressed but we didn't we paid 1m. It's not his fault another club bid a certain amount for him and we turned it down either. On the flip side if we paid 12m for him and he performed like he did the last 6months of last season I'd think a bargain. He has the potential to do it again so I'll back him all the way.

I hope he does,but with what's he's offered this season,I very much doubt it,I hope he reads this and proves me wrong,at the moment he reminds me of jay bothroyd(unsure of spelling)

Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:25 pm

I thought Boothroyd was brilliant for us :oops:

Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:57 pm

People moaning we should have sold him January are probably the same ones who would have been bashing the club if we had sold him not so long ago :roll: :roll:

Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:57 pm

2blue2handle wrote:I thought Boothroyd was brilliant for us :oops:

Before his England cap(zahore end of last season)
After his England cap(zahore this season)

Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:54 pm

Was this offer during the Jan transfer window or in the Summer?

Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:58 pm

Why?

I'm not saying you aren't entitled to your opinion, everyone is :thumbright:

I'm just saying that 49 games and 6 goals in a poor league isn't very clever is it?

No it’s crap but Warnock has faith in him and that’s good enough for me.
If we don’t get promotion then the manager may decide to sell him in the summer which is a much better time to buy as well.
He’s not a 20 goal a season striker for me (at least not yet) but if Warnock thinks we can go up with him And Madine then I’ll trust him.
It’s not about the money for me - I don’t see any of it - it’s about the right blend for promotion and the manager feels we now have it.