Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

"STEVEN CAULKER"

Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:55 pm

Ex-Cardiff, Liverpool and QPR defender has joined Dundee on an 18 month deal.

Always remembered for scoring the Winning goal against the Jacks for City at the CCS, Caulker's career has been blighted by off the field problems, that have had such a dramatic affect on his form on the pitch.

Could Dundee be a launch pad to resurrect his career again.

For me, found his level in the Scottish Championship.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: "STEVEN CAULKER"

Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:05 pm

feel sorry for the bloke - he's clearly been suffering off the field which has prevented him playing at his full potential.

hopefully he can get back on track with dundee.

Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:10 pm

What I know and heard he was a big time charlie and party animal whilst at Cardiff.

Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:14 pm

Forever Blue wrote:What I know and heard he was a big time charlie and party animal whilst at Cardiff.

from what he said it looks like he was just drowning his sorrows. suppose it's a pity we had to be the ones paying him for the privilege though - thats the problem with back of a fag packet recruitment.

Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:17 pm

Forever Blue wrote:What I know and heard he was a big time charlie and party animal whilst at Cardiff.

He was probably trying everything to cover up his issues.

Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:24 pm

We were lucky to get our money back on him, sold at the right time.

Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:00 pm

2blue2handle wrote:We were lucky to get our money back on him, sold at the right time.

Too right, Luke! :thumbright:

I like Caulker when he first arrived and he scored some vital goals (Man City at the CCS will stay in the memory) but he caused his own issues and we were very lucky to get the fee back :ayatollah:

Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:18 pm

He started off brilliantly for us but half way through the season he became just another player in that Cardiff side who were just not up for the job.

Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:02 pm

Sven wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:We were lucky to get our money back on him, sold at the right time.

I like Caulker when he first arrived and he scored some vital goals (Man City at the CCS will stay in the memory) but he caused his own issues and we were very lucky to get the fee back :ayatollah:

Man City at the CCS?

Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:18 pm

Seem to remember that John Barrowman rented out his place to him while Caulker was playing for us.

After the way Caulker treated it, Barrowman said he’d never ever rent it out to a footballer again.

Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:21 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:
Sven wrote:

Man City at the CCS?

My bad. It was actually the one against the Swans but then again a lot of that season has faded away; largely thanks to the greatly delayed and largely reactive rather than proactive actions (even that's debatable, mind) of many supporters once it was clear we weren't going to make it! ;) :ayatollah:

Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:24 pm

My personal most hated signing ever.

Took the role of captain in one of our most important and high profile seasons. Was nowhere near good enough and did not deserve it. No matter what goals he scored.

Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:41 pm

Mr Shed wrote:My personal most hated signing ever.

Took the role of captain in one of our most important and high profile seasons. Was nowhere near good enough and did not deserve it. No matter what goals he scored.

harsh - he was 21, made captain, and tasked with holding together a very shaky defence.

whether or not we got value in financial terms, i think that was a big ask.

to be a top footballer you need to be 100% committed, and because of his mental illness, he hasn't been able to do that.

Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:46 am

Just goes to show how bad Scottish football really is.

Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:32 pm

He came to us with an alcohol problem, Malky got the best out of him, but when MM was sacked, he went off the rails. Hopefully he can get it together up there.

Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:46 pm

Spot on :thumbup: Also rumour has it Spurs couldn't believe their luck when we wanted to pay £8m for him

Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:01 pm

rustyblue wrote:He came to us with an alcohol problem, Malky got the best out of him, but when MM was sacked, he went off the rails. Hopefully he can get it together up there.

Apparently his actions left a lot to be desired under Malky as well, he has since played a under a lot of managers. Sometimes people need to help themselves.

Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:09 pm

From England International to International Englander! ;) :( :(

Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:20 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
rustyblue wrote:He came to us with an alcohol problem, Malky got the best out of him, but when MM was sacked, he went off the rails. Hopefully he can get it together up there.

Apparently his actions left a lot to be desired under Malky as well, he has since played a under a lot of managers. Sometimes people need to help themselves.

In Scotland ? The country of alcohol :laughing6:

In all fairness, he's a top player but his head has never been in it - Shame, as many have said :thumbright:

Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:23 pm

Suffering depression and had alcohol problems.

Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:48 pm

Seem pleased ...

https://www.thedarkblues.co.uk/forums/t ... ent-265525

Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:16 am

City1983 wrote:Ex-Cardiff, Liverpool and QPR defender has joined Dundee on an 18 month deal.

Always remembered for scoring the Winning goal against the Jacks for City at the CCS, Caulker's career has been blighted by off the field problems, that have had such a dramatic affect on his form on the pitch.

Could Dundee be a launch pad to resurrect his career again.

For me, found his level in the Scottish Championship.

*Premiership