Warnock:Marko Grujic was not trying hard enough for Cardiff

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:29 pm

Neil Warnock on Marko Grujic's effort in training...

By Empire of the Kop

Thursday 8th February 2018

Marko Grujic was not trying hard enough during his initial Cardiff City training sessions, claims manager Neil Warnock.

However, the veteran boss admires the Serb’s talent enormously and claims he’s quickly ‘toughened up’!

Neil Warnock reveals key detail of Marko Grujic loan & lauds LFC’s Serb

Grujic is spending the rest of the season on loan at Cardiff in the Championship, where he’s playing the first-team football he so desperately needed.

He’s already made three appearances, putting in the
kind of defensive work-rate that made him trend on Twitter in the victory over Leeds..

“He’s catching up and he’s getting better,” Warnock told WalesOnline.

“It’s difficult for him to be flung straight in, with the second game being Manchester City.

“I think it’s toughened him up being with us. When he first came into training, he left a little bit to be desired should we say.

“But you soon get into it with us – when you train as hard as we do, you want to be like that.

“And I think it’s improved his game. The minimum requirement is effort because when you have ability like he has, it comes through on top. I think he’s realised that early doors and wants to stay in the team.

“He wants to play and wants to go to the World Cup. He’s in the window and has got 17 games to show it.

“I won’t play him if he doesn’t deserve to be in the team – I keep reading I’ve got to play him but all it is is that he have to pay more money if I don’t. The club agreed to that so it’s not my worry.”

Empire of the Kop:

We really hope the loan spell goes well for the 21-year-old. When he arrived, there was massive hope for Grujic, who shone in pre-season, but for various reasons, he’s not developed at the rate everyone hoped.

The physical Championship should harden him before next term – as will Warnock!

We wonder if he’s given Grujic one of his famous dressing downs yet?!
Attachments
Marko-Grujic.jpg
Marko-Grujic.jpg (42.84 KiB) Viewed 3661 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Warnock:Marko Grujic was not trying hard enough for Card

Postby Forever Blue » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:50 pm

Marko Grujic “toughening up” at Cardiff City as he hunts a World Cup place

This is Anfield

By Jack Lusby

8 February 2018

Thursday 8th Feb 2016

Cardiff City manager Neil Warnock has explained how Liverpool midfielder Marko Grujic is being toughened up on loan in the Championship.

Grujic joined the Welsh side in a temporary deal last month, and has already made three appearances, all as part of Warnock’s starting lineup.

The 69-year-old has thrust his new signing into action without an adjustment period, clearly recognising the potential he has at his disposal in the Serbian.

But speaking ahead of what is likely to be Grujic’s fourth outing for Cardiff away to Millwall on Friday night, Warnock conceded that his transition has been a difficult one.

Interestingly, he said that “when he first came into training, he left a little bit to be desired,” indicating a possible reason for his lack of game time under Jurgen Klopp.

But Warnock believes that his immediate start to life with the Bluebird has “toughened him up,” which will be encouraging for Liverpool.

“The minimum requirement is effort because when you have ability like he has, it comes through on top,” the former Crystal Palace manager added.

“I think he’s realised that early doors and wants to stay in the team.”

Part of Grujic’s motivation to leave the Reds on loan was to secure a place in the Serbia squad for the World Cup next summer, and Warnock said he’s “got 17 games to show” he’s worthy.

However, in the long term this switch is designed to facilitate his move up the ranks under Klopp, and Warnock has used him in an interesting role so far.

While he made his name as a roving, progressive midfielder with Red Star Belgrade, he has been part of a deep-lying pairing for Cardiff.

“I think he’s learning about what we want him to do,” Warnock added. “He can play different roles and we’re trying teach him those roles.”

Warnock attested to the difficulties in taking up a new position, saying “in every game he’s stuttered at times and then regained his composure,” with Grujic lacking match fitness.

But his manager believes the youngster is getting to grips with the pace and physicality of the second tier, concluding that “he’s learning and he’ll be better.”

Grujic is likely to eclipse the number of first-team minutes he has played in a year-and-a-half with Liverpool (327) in just four games for Cardiff, proving the importance of this loan.

And as he learns to be more streetwise with his hulking frame, the hope will be he can take up a key role for both the Reds and Serbia in the near future.
Attachments
PA-34835660-1-600x400.jpg
PA-34835660-1-600x400.jpg (21.96 KiB) Viewed 3283 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Postby oohahhPaulMillar » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:36 am

Very important game for him tonight...Millwall away is always tough and physical

He's going to need to put a shift in tonight...just got a good feeling about this guy that's he's going to come good during his time here
oohahhPaulMillar

Postby paulh_85 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:41 am

he doesnt say he wasnt trying hard enough at all :sleepy2:
paulh_85

Postby bluebird7291 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:15 am

paulh_85 wrote:he doesnt say he wasnt trying hard enough at all :sleepy2:

all about the clicks mate!
bluebird7291

Return to General Chat