Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Losing a job

Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:36 pm

Hi guys, sorry for a sombre post. I’ve recently been made redundant after working in the same place for nearly three decades. I’m really struggling with the daily routine of not working, putting so much effort in to finding a new career and despite an interview and some really positive rejection feedback I’m making no progress. I really want to be out there working, I’m personable and a proper grafter, I’m office based so can’t do manual labour, I’m the clumsiest individual on the planet !!!! Any tips for instituanlised workers. I’m no longer local to Cardiff but just want to make a difference. I have moments in my day when I’m really positive and then a couple of knock backs send me to meltdown. Thanks and sorry for a thoroughly crap post !,,

Re: Losing a job

Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:48 pm

dorsetblue wrote:Hi guys, sorry for a sombre post. I’ve recently been made redundant after working in the same place for nearly three decades. I’m really struggling with the daily routine of not working, putting so much effort in to finding a new career and despite an interview and some really positive rejection feedback I’m making no progress. I really want to be out there working, I’m personable and a proper grafter, I’m office based so can’t do manual labour, I’m the clumsiest individual on the planet !!!! Any tips for instituanlised workers. I’m no longer local to Cardiff but just want to make a difference. I have moments in my day when I’m really positive and then a couple of knock backs send me to meltdown. Thanks and sorry for a thoroughly crap post !,,

Sorry to here Huw.

I am sure someone as dedicated as you will bounce back, chin up my friend :thumbright:

Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:56 pm

dorsetblue wrote:Hi guys, sorry for a sombre post. I’ve recently been made redundant after working in the same place for nearly three decades. I’m really struggling with the daily routine of not working, putting so much effort in to finding a new career and despite an interview and some really positive rejection feedback I’m making no progress. I really want to be out there working, I’m personable and a proper grafter, I’m office based so can’t do manual labour, I’m the clumsiest individual on the planet !!!! Any tips for instituanlised workers. I’m no longer local to Cardiff but just want to make a difference. I have moments in my day when I’m really positive and then a couple of knock backs send me to meltdown. Thanks and sorry for a thoroughly crap post !,,

That is really sad to hear, keep your chin up mate and most importantly look after your mental health. I am sure you will bounce back.

Stay safe fellow Bluebird

Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:06 pm

Know the feeling.

All you can do is plug away. As you are doing that you will learn new ways to make yourself attractive to companies. New ideas will come to you trust me on that one.

Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:09 pm

Retrain in something you love doing,hope you find something soon

Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:01 pm

Have you registered with any recruitment agencies. Might be worth giving them a shot even if it's only temporary work.

Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:26 pm

Use redundancy package and go to house auctions and buy cheap in right are and diy and sell and rent,and go again and sell on and rent, and go again.

Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:46 pm

Have you looked into what’s available to you to re train to do something else? The Welsh Govt. provide money for this and it’s called REACT.

Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:07 pm

Thankfully it hasn’t happened to me for a long time but when it did I was prepared to take any job,bar staff,delivery driver anything even part time trolley collecting at your local supermarket.
Not only does it give you dignity and keeps you going off your head it keeps you in a work ethic mode,something’s future employer will like.
Keep applying for jobs and hopefully something worthwhile will come your way.
Good luck :thumbup:

Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:13 pm

keanoswinklepickers wrote:Use redundancy package and go to house auctions and buy cheap in right are and diy and sell and rent,and go again and sell on and rent, and go again.

if his redundancy package was that large i doubt he would be in the place he is currently

OP - try to stay positive, something will go your way soon! :ayatollah:

Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:21 pm

Couldnt see if posted previously, but you are entitled to 1500 worth of training, from the REact training grant, i did this after being made redundancy in 2008, it really helps, I did autoCAD training, and never looked back.

Keep your head up mate, get into a routine that resembles work, up early four or five applications,which you can do with one click on CVLibrary. really think about your skillset and where it can be re applied, then at lunch time, switch off from it all and knock it on the head until the next day, it sucks but you need a routine to maintain focus.

and good luck.

Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:30 pm

rustyblue wrote:Couldnt see if posted previously, but you are entitled to 1500 worth of training, from the REact training grant, i did this after being made redundancy in 2008, it really helps, I did autoCAD training, and never looked back.

Keep your head up mate, get into a routine that resembles work, up early four or five applications,which you can do with one click on CVLibrary. really think about your skillset and where it can be re applied, then at lunch time, switch off from it all and knock it on the head until the next day, it sucks but you need a routine to maintain focus.

and good luck.

Very good advice that RB. Learning to switch off at lunchtime is important else it will eat into you.

CV Library is one avenue but there are quite a few more. CWjobs, Jobserve, Jobsite to name a few. Get your CV on there and open it up for searchers to read. You will be quite surprised now many emails you will receive from the employment agencies. If you get any you have made one big step to getting the job. However do expect rejection and if you do get rejected remember you are not on your own as a few more will have received the dear John letter.

Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:57 pm

Try the DWP! Honest mate they are desperate for staff!

Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:29 pm

Not sure if you've looked but check " Indeed " website as there are tonnes on there.

I work for PHS and they put out positions weekly all over the UK :thumbright:

I hope this helps and good luck :ayatollah:

Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:17 pm

I am guessing your CV is fully up to date?

Any employers on here happy to take a look and give some feedback to a fellow Bluebird?

Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:34 pm

Not that it has happened often but i always found finding contact details of managing directors/owners of companys in my field and messaging them direct worked much better than just replying to job adverts.
My advice would be to go direct to the top and not concentrate so much on generic job adverts

Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:24 pm

maccydee wrote:I am guessing your CV is fully up to date?

Any employers on here happy to take a look and give some feedback to a fellow Bluebird?

I'm no claud littner but I've read and rejected a fair few CVS in my time.

Dorestblue - if you want some guidance with your CV drop me a pm and I'll give you my email address.