Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Mendez-Laing???

Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:09 pm

What's happened to him? I mean he's not even remotely close to the player he was at the start of the season. He cant control the ball, cant dribble, runs into touch and cant pass. It was like playing with 10 men. Thought Bamba was dodgy today and Grujic looked really poor. Thought Morrison, Ralls and Hoilett played well though, but NML needs to be taken out the team as that performance was an embarrassment, hopefully Wildschut and Harris will be back for Bolton.

Re: Mendez-Laing???

Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:10 pm

Totally agree he was shocking

Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:55 pm

Bluebird Warrior wrote:What's happened to him? I mean he's not even remotely close to the player he was at the start of the season. He cant control the ball, cant dribble, runs into touch and cant pass. It was like playing with 10 men. Thought Bamba was dodgy today and Grujic looked really poor. Thought Morrison, Ralls and Hoilett played well though, but NML needs to be taken out the team as that performance was an embarrassment, hopefully Wildschut and Harris will be back for Bolton.

Agree with everying apart from gruijic I thought he did well and his best performance so far. Warnock took too long with subs. Mendez was shocking

Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:45 am

totally agree...needs dropping........grujic ducked out of a couple 50/50 s.... where was wilschudt...and zohore should have come on earlier,,agree B amba was poor 2nite

Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:45 am

I thought Mendez Lang was very poor again tonight. Should have been subbed much much earlier. He is now looking like a player of league 1/2 standard. Needs to be dropped.

Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:42 am

Indirectly he cost us the goal. He failed to control an easy ball kicked it out for a goal kick which they scored from.
He was awful should have been taken off at half time.

Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:16 am

Surprised he got back in the team,not happy when I seen he was in the line up.

Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:40 am

Not only Laing. I thought Grujic and Patterson were also poor. Bamba got pulled out of position all night. We have a strong bench so when things are not going right change them. Madine yet to prove his worth. Not a good performance lads lets start on Tuesday.

Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:17 am

Bluebird Warrior wrote:What's happened to him? I mean he's not even remotely close to the player he was at the start of the season. He cant control the ball, cant dribble, runs into touch and cant pass. It was like playing with 10 men. Thought Bamba was dodgy today and Grujic looked really poor. Thought Morrison, Ralls and Hoilett played well though, but NML needs to be taken out the team as that performance was an embarrassment, hopefully Wildschut and Harris will be back for Bolton.

I would leave him out for the rest of season, great start to season but totally out of form and offers nothing :ayatollah:

Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:23 am

Totally agree. Feeney offers more and Wilshut and Kads(when fit) are ahead of him.

Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:51 am

He is a winger, wingers go in and out of form, consistency marks out the very good ones. He looked a world beater at the start of the season, its warnocks job to see in training and matches when he is at it. Thats why we have sooooo many

Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:52 am

I agree with a lot of whats been said but in his defense Millwall appeared to be much stronger on their right as all the space in the game was on the other side where Hoilett had that kid on toast.

Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:53 am

I am expecting him to be on the bench Tuesday... If warnock picks him after last night I would be surprised

Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:56 am

I think subs should have been made a long time before they were made, Pilks should have come on for Mendez-Laing. Pilks deserves a run of games in my opinion, I think he could score a lot of goals in this team.

Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:09 am

Warnock has a reputation of having good man management skills but I have to say his handling of Mendez Laing leaves a lot to be desired,the player is so short of confidence right now it would have been sensible not to have selected him,but what does Warnock do,he not only plays him but let's him stay on the pitch for 70 minutes where it was plain to everyone other than Warnock that the poor lad was being hung out to dry,loosing even more confidence by the minute,really poor Mr. Warnock really poor

Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:18 am

angelis1949 wrote:Warnock has a reputation of having good man management skills but I have to say his handling of Mendez Laing leaves a lot to be desired,the player is so short of confidence right now it would have been sensible not to have selected him,but what does Warnock do,he not only plays him but let's him stay on the pitch for 70 minutes where it was plain to everyone other than Warnock that the poor lad was being hung out to dry,loosing even more confidence by the minute,really poor Mr. Warnock really poor

Fair question: How do you know how Neil Warnock 'handles' any specific player off the pitch? :?

He makes his on-field decisions as he sees them and (to date) hasn't got too much wrong! :ayatollah: :bluescarf:

Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:32 am

Totally agree, Mendez-Laing was awful last night and a shadow of the player he was at the start of the season, he just doesn't seem to turn up anymore...

Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:56 am

NW should have hauled NML off before half time as everyone but the manager could see he was struggling. 3 or 4 times in quick succession his control was so bad, he just kicked the ball out.
Surprised to see him come out 2nd half let alone stay on until 70+ minutes. It was noticeable that other players were not passing to him! Instead preferring to do a McPhail 360 pirouette and play down the left towards Hoilett.
Instead of looking at the ref and some shocking decisions, perhaps NW should also look at his own lack of performance.

Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:04 pm

angelis1949 wrote:Warnock has a reputation of having good man management skills but I have to say his handling of Mendez Laing leaves a lot to be desired,the player is so short of confidence right now it would have been sensible not to have selected him,but what does Warnock do,he not only plays him but let's him stay on the pitch for 70 minutes where it was plain to everyone other than Warnock that the poor lad was being hung out to dry,loosing even more confidence by the minute,really poor Mr. Warnock really poor

You must be one of the backroom staff mate as from that statement you obviously know first hand how Warnock is handling NML and his reasons for playing him :thumbup:

Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:58 pm

Lang at the moment is trying his best to gain confidence within himself and by playing him in big matches he will improve, I think that he just needs a goal to help himself improve and the same can be said for Zohore, so I am not too worried on the poor form Lang has at the moment because I know he will get better every time he is on the pitch.

Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:25 pm

Sam ReaN wrote:Lang at the moment is trying his best to gain confidence within himself and by playing him in big matches he will improve, I think that he just needs a goal to help himself improve and the same can be said for Zohore, so I am not too worried on the poor form Lang has at the moment because I know he will get better every time he is on the pitch.

The problem with your theory is that he's not improving every time he takes to the pitch in fact quite the opposite is true

Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:28 pm

BlueVanman wrote:

You must be one of the backroom staff mate as from that statement you obviously know first hand how Warnock is handling NML and his reasons for playing him :thumbup:

I don't think you have to be a member of the backroom staff to know a player struggling for confidence when you see one

Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:29 pm

angelis1949 wrote:
Sam ReaN wrote:Lang at the moment is trying his best to gain confidence within himself and by playing him in big matches he will improve, I think that he just needs a goal to help himself improve and the same can be said for Zohore, so I am not too worried on the poor form Lang has at the moment because I know he will get better every time he is on the pitch.

The problem with your theory is that he's not improving every time he takes to the pitch in fact quite the opposite is true

I said a couple of weeks ago Warnock should have sent him to Dubai or another hot spot for a couple of weeks to recharge his batteries as he looks gone as a top end championship winger at the moment. We have loads of wingers

Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:31 pm

Mendez-laing started off on fire and instantly expectations rose immediately,hopefully his form of the first five games will return,if not and he carries on current form,he 'll soon be back on the bench,then being dropped,then going back down the leages

Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:22 pm

angelis1949 wrote:
BlueVanman wrote:

I don't think you have to be a member of the backroom staff to know a player struggling for confidence when you see one

But not playing him is not going to boost his confidence is it?

Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:26 pm

BlueVanman wrote:
angelis1949 wrote:
BlueVanman wrote:

But not playing him is not going to boost his confidence is it?

Can't afford to carry a player making zero contribution whilst he "gets his confidence back" however long that may take.

Last night it was literally like playing with ten men such was the impact Mendez had on the game.

Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:56 am

So to take him off at HT would have dented his confidence even more.

Kads went thro the same, he came back a match winner.